Coming back to RPG games.

Dragon Age > ToEE any day of the week, and twice on sundays.

I'm not even a big fan of DA.

Fanboi!!! (I think spelling it "fanboi" in stead of "fanboy" adds a little more punch!)

From pibbur who admits that in general it's a good idea not to take him seriously. Actually, I didn't like TOEE much. A good game, but we didn't get along very well.

Last edited:
Dragon Age is definitely fun, but it neither allows you to create your own party like ToEE nor has the super fun turned-based combat of ToEE. These things interest the OP.

Doesn't change the fact that DA is a good place to start. Not overly complex, excellent graphics, gameplay, decent story, somewhat interesting characters. It's a fairly complete package.

Exactly what I meant. I personally have played the game only for two hours and it's somewhat confusing and akwar me to recommend it because I really hated it for the simplified character development, but that's because I'm more to hardcore RPGs and it doesn't mean that the game isn't any good for someone else. And let's face it, the reviews have been quite positive about the game and very easy to learn and play. And it's fresh. Perfect for RPG newbie. After finish it and falling love in RPG games, it's easy then to move to more "hardcore" RPGs that most of us love.

I like ToEE for its ruleset and game mechanics. Same applies for my love for Drakensang, though it also has decent characters and story, but the TDE rules just rock. :)

I found Dragon Age to be great everywhere, EXCEPT, party interaction. There wasn't a single character in the game that I could relate to and I wanted them all to just shut up and fight. I always hoped someone would mod the game so that you could roll a whole party of mutes. I pretty much wanted to kill everyone but Leliana and even she got on my nerves sometimes. Dragon Age characters all felt like they came from some crappy JRPG console game.

The maps and combat were wonderful though. The quests were nearly always interesting and the political interactions were pretty cool, at least as far as I got. I never went to Landsmeet.

@crpgnut, I thought DA actually had pretty good party banter, and the interaction in Awakening is even better.

As did I. One of the most entertaining moments in the game was a random character banter. The quests, maps, and combat, not so much, for me...

Dragon Age is definitely fun, but it neither allows you to create your own party like ToEE nor has the super fun turned-based combat of ToEE. These things interest the OP.
True - but it *kinda* does. You can't design your party from the ground up but you can pick all their skills once you meet them, so you do get a pretty strong say. The space-to-pause may not be exactly turn based but it sure is close - it's just that you decide how long a turn takes.

Uhhh... speaking of the OP.... where'd he go?

Probably got a little tired of the inevitable pissing match that ensued after many good recommendations.

LOl! My good is better than your good! Hell it's all good. He probably freaked out after Gokyabgu's list.

I hope he just picked one up and starting playing... :)

Games that you should play:

- Ultima 7
- Baldur's Gate Saga
- Icewind Dale 1-2
- Planescape Torment
- Arcanum
- Anachronox
- Fallout 1-2-3
- Might&Magic 6-7-8
- Wizardry 8
- Divine Divinity
- Beyond Divinity
- Vampire The Masquarade: Redemption&Bloodlines
- Temple Of Elemental Evil
- Star Wars: Kotor 1-2
- Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall&Morrowind
- Arx Fatalis
- Fable
- Dungeon Siege 1-2
- Gothic 1-2
- Risen
- Dragon Age
- The Witcher
- Drakensang
- Neverwinter Nights 1-2
- Divinity 2

Nice list more oriented to modern, I'm not fan of all of them, but well, all show something. For sure it is missing some older games like Ultima Underworld and Dungeon Master, but well those are very old. I don't think at all that Ultima 7 is in better shape, it is awfully programmed and either will be a lot too fast, either will have bad controls and unpleasant lack of fluidity.

Myself I would add 3 PC games to the list:
  • Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
  • Prelude To Darkness
  • Dungeon Lords Gold

Nice list more oriented to modern, I'm not fan of all of them, but well, all show something. For sure it is missing some older games like Ultima Underworld and Dungeon Master, but well those are very old. I don't think at all that Ultima 7 is in better shape, it is awfully programmed and either will be a lot too fast, either will have bad controls and unpleasant lack of fluidity.

• Prelude To Darkness
  • Dungeon Lords Gold

Run U7 with Exult

• Prelude To Darkness
  • Dungeon Lords Gold

1440exult002qn1.jpg

Shame on you, Ultima VII with Exult works perfectly in modern system. :)

Lot of games on that list, and I think the thread starter toolguy was looking for traditional party RPG and not 3rd person view action rpg, like many of those in the list.

I never tried Exult but ok I will. For the list I quoted, it didn't answer directly to OP, I just answered to this list not OP. But Prelude To Darkness answer quite well to OP.

And if you think Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and Dungeon Lords Gold are basic Diablo 2 clones then I bet you never played them much.

Still to answer the list, I would add also: Dungeon Siege Ultima V: Lazarus Mod.

I need to get around to trying Ultima VII again one of these days, I've never played very far into it. I get the feeling it's one of those games that was better played 10 years ago though.

I never tried Exult but ok I will. For the list I quoted, it didn't answer directly to OP, I just answered to this list not OP. But Prelude To Darkness answer quite well to OP.

I can't endorse recommending Prelude. By all accounts there is a great RPG hiding there, but on my system (and judging by the Codex forum threads, apparently also for most other people that tried it) this thing crashes about once every 5 minutes. Literally. Also it certainly doesn't have a GfX engine on 2008 levels.
Maybe Kings Bounty: the Legend and Kings Bounty: Armored Princess should be named. While they are a bit more on the strategy game side, there is great turn-based combat there and a modern presentation.
But I suspect Toolguy has run screaming from this thread anyway? ;)

DA:O will be good place to start IMO. Easy enough and fun too. Although, I think story is so generic and ridiculous. It's always the same sh*t. Some evil is going to take over the world and you are the only one who can save the world for some ridiculous reason. I especially thought it was pathetic how they couldn't even come up with some creative monster. I mean, they named those monsters "darkspawn"? It was as lame as "king of shadows" in NWN2.

Ultima V: Lazarus for Dungeon Siege would be otherwise great, but it might look a bit dated for newcomers and somewhat complex. It's more of us nostalgic persons. But definitely, after getting into cRPGs, Ultima series is very much recommended so that you know what people speak of! :)

lazarus005.jpg

1440exult002qn1.jpg

Shame on you, Ultima VII with Exult works perfectly in modern system. :)

I've always wanted to play Ultima 7 and have actually tried a few times but that strange viewpoint just distracts me so much. It's disorienting.

Is it just me?

Back when it was released, it wasn't that uncommon, but I can see that it looks a bit awkward today. Too bad it distracts you, though, as it is (in my opinion) a REALLY GOOD game, my definite favourite among the Ultimas.

It doesn't distract me, but then I'm a Stratocaster player. (Oh why can't I stop these punches!)

Back
Top Bottom