Didn't find a dedicated thread, and didn't know where to post this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NqDAwR_Ho0

This game is looking more and more intriguing. And it seems they've even went into full blown cross-over with Control.
Ahti, the janitor from Controls, seems to be in that bar karaoke singing. I hope this crossover doesn't hurt both properties.

But aside from that its looking mighty good. Both visually/audio. And in terms of the weirdness. I think it's gonna be an intriguing game. October here I come.

How would Ahti's presence hurt either property?

Control was always meant to be in the same universe as Alan Wake, btw.
Simple. Ahti was always a very weird and mysterious character in Control. Hard to nail down.
If they start showing him in regular settings, and/or overuse him it might hurt that.
I hope they have a good plan and isn't just fan service.

Loved Control but I bailed out on Alan Wake 1. This one looks better to me, but I'm still dubious.

I still love a good survival horror 3rd person game, all these years later. Late 2023 is a crazy packed time for releases, and Alan Wake 2 is actually at the top of my most anticipated.

Loved Control but I bailed out on Alan Wake 1. This one looks better to me, but I'm still dubious.
I bailed on both of those games. I love horror and survival-horror, but Alan Wake didn't grab me.

I'm not a big fan of horror that's psychological or paranormal in nature. I like when it's based in reality or sci-fi. Resident Evil, Dead Space, Alien Isolation, and Outlast would be some of my favorites.

This reminds me that I still need to get around to playing The Callisto Protocol.

I'm not a big fan of horror that's psychological or paranormal in nature.
You sure it wasn't the spooky rubber duck? That thing was terrifying! Quack. Quack QUACK!! ;)

I wonder what their next game will be. I think it's been confirmed there's gonna be a Control 2 and the Max Payne remake.
I wonder how big they are and how much can they tackle in parallel.
At this point I think they're feeling enough pressure to keep with the Control/Alan Wake universe, which is fine with me.

Man, would I love if Rockstar would greenlight a Max Payne 4, maybe somehow in-between MP2 and 3.
Or maybe one with Max close to being retired, and going on one final adventure via Remedy's treatment. I'd hate it if Rockstar's version is the one that caps the series.

Outside of these, I'm not sure how curious I would be for something totally out of their ballpark. Like Lake mentioned, a dark gothic fantasy one.
Come to think of it more, I think I would be very curious to hear Lake's thoughts on one of those. I just worry since he's become so good at these noir/lynch-ian ones (which are also very heavily inspired from great tv/movies), and worry he'd be out of his element.
Quantum Break, while solid mechanically and liked the time-travel mechanics, was pretty uninspired storywise. It was simply a decent time-travel story, but had close to no heart.

I moved to Washington, partly because of the Alan Wake setting. One of those weird life decisions based on questionable reasoning.

I'll probably wait for this to get to Steam before I play it, but I look forward to it. That's at least a year (if ever).

Last edited:
I moved to Washington, partly because of the Alan Wake setting. One of those weird life decisions based on questionable reasoning.
You can't just drop this in and not explain further?

I enjoyed Alan Wake but don't feel drawn to this one. I'm going to wait awhile too, not even sure it will run to a decent level on my pc.

You can't just drop this in and not explain further?

There are a handful of games (and movies) that have really influenced my life, in different ways. I had a career in one of the most boring states... Wisconsin: flat, cornfields, oppressive winters, flat, non-threatening wildlife, mosquitos for days, flat, boringness. I knew at some point I was going to completely uproot, change careers and start over somewhere less flat and boring.

So back in 2010 or whenever AW came out, I was absolutely blown away by the fact that there were places in the US that you needed to ride a ferry to get to, were entirely in the spooky forest with mountains and animals that can kill you, and where it was cloudy and rainy all the time (which I prefer, and I'm not even British). The small town feel, the national park setting-- all of it featured in the game, was perfect. And real, once I learned that every setting in that game was modelled after specific areas in Washington.

Just over 4 years ago, when it came time to carry through on my threat to hit the reset button on my life, I went West ...and lived on heavily-forested islands that you needed to ride a ferry to get to. I've since moved further inland (promotion), manage some of the largest parks in the state and have everything I saw in that game, minus the paranormal shit. In fact, today I helped capture and tag a mountain lion. Living the dream. Partially thanks to a game. *shrugs*

Last edited:
... places ... that you needed to ride a ferry to get to, were entirely in the spooky forest with mountains and animals that can kill you, and where it was cloudy and rainy all the time (which I prefer, and I'm not even British)....
Seems like home.

Not many animals that can kill you, though. Except dogs. (And polar bears on Svalbard).

pibbuR who lives in the western part of Norway. And really likes rain.

PS. Really liked your post. DS

Reminds me of my small town in CT near the ocean which I like to call the bum fuck of nowhere. I love the quiet but shopping is a chore when it needs to be done.

Nowadays though bless the internet for home delivery of grocery's.

I'm not seeing many positive comments from people who played/are playing it. The term "walking simulator" keeps getting thrown around, and people are complaining about the lack of variety.

I watched some of a playthrough on YouTube, and yeah, I'm glad I passed on this. It seems to have a decent amount of atmosphere, but it's basically the same boring gameplay loop as the original game with the same enemies.

I'm not seeing many positive comments from people who played/are playing it. The term "walking simulator" keeps getting thrown around, and people are complaining about the lack of variety.

I watched some of a playthrough on YouTube, and yeah, I'm glad I passed on this. It seems to have a decent amount of atmosphere, but it's basically the same boring gameplay loop as the original game with the same enemies.
I've not seen pretty much anything on Alan Wake 1 either on rpgwatch, but that didn't stop me enjoying it.
On other forums though, especially neogaf and twitter, it's positive ablaze with great praise. It's almost starting to be suspicious that a horror game gets this lauded and praised.
I've only barely stepped into it, and I think I'm gonna enjoy it. But I'm taking my time with it. There's also 2 story dlcs planned, so I'm also considering maybe putting off my playthrough until the game is fully complete.
I did the same with Control and have no regrets.

I've not seen pretty much anything on Alan Wake 1 either on rpgwatch, but that didn't stop me enjoying it.
On other forums though, especially neogaf and twitter, it's positive ablaze with great praise. It's almost starting to be suspicious that a horror game gets this lauded and praised.
I'm talking about other forums not RPGWatch, although I can't say I've ever visited the forum on Neogaf. It's got an 8.6 on Metacritic last time I checked. Not bad, but not great either.

I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad game though, just that I've seen some criticism, and that it's not for me. I love survival-horror, but I need more variety in the encounters than what AW2 seems to offer.