Redglyph

proud GASP member
Doom is about to turn 30. Romero and Carmack will stream together for the occasion.

Romero/Carmack DOOM 30th Anniversary Stream Next Month [Nov 03, 2023, 6:17 pm ET] – 8 Comments

An X from John Romero announces that to celebrate next month's 30th anniversary of DOOM, he will be reuniting with id Software cofounder John Carmack for a live discussion of the seminal first-person shooter. This will all take place on the actual anniversary date of December 10th on John's Twitch Channel named for a nickname he got decades ago from everyone's favorite gaming site:

In addition to SIGIL II (http://romero.com), I've got some other great news to celebrate DOOM's 30th Anniversary. Join me and John Carmack @ID_AA_Carmack to discuss DOOM live, moderated by David L. Craddock @davidlcraddock. Dec 10 8pm GMT on https://twitch.tv/theromero. Thanks for playing our games!​

I remember that, until then, I considered the PC to be an inappropriate platform for games and just good enough for office and development work. Seeing Doom for the first time was a shock.

Quake required a good CPU, and preferably an Intel. I had a 166 MHz Cyrix and it was much slower than an 133 MHz Intel because the floating-point unit was badly optimized, and Quake was heavily relying on it. CPUs were quickly outdated in the 90s/2000s.

I spent quite some time on Doom, Quake, and others back in the day. They don't interest me much nowadays yet I do remember how exciting it was just to have games like those for the computer, and an obvious sign of what was to come.

Doom was one of the reasons I got into PC gaming despite that not being the first platform I played it on. I first played it on the Atari Jaguar. I loved it, but it left me wanting to play a superior version. I also played it on the PS1. That version was better, but still not as good as the PC version. Great BGM though.

I remember not being as impressed with Quake as everyone else seemed to be. I didn't like it nearly as much as Doom 1 & 2, although I did eventually play through it years later.

I was not into pc gaming during the Doom "boom" in the 1990s. Later, I did get into Quake 2. I was very impressed by Quake 2, I remember. Anyway, I just bought Doom Eternal; on sale, because I found an interesting mod for it I wanted to try. I don't like several of the changes to the new Doom games, and in Doom Eternal they basically turned the monsters into 'Pinatas' that you have to break apart to get supplies and ammo and healing, which is very silly and off-putting to me. The mod I found stops this and makes it more old school where monsters are not like pinatas, lol, but just things to fight and defeat. The mod does a bunch of other stuff too (tweaks) that appeals to me enough to buy the Doom Eternal game just to play the mod version.

I was not into pc gaming during the Doom "boom" in the 1990s. Later, I did get into Quake 2. I was very impressed by Quake 2, I remember. Anyway, I just bought Doom Eternal; on sale, because I found an interesting mod for it I wanted to try. I don't like several of the changes to the new Doom games, and in Doom Eternal they basically turned the monsters into 'Pinatas' that you have to break apart to get supplies and ammo and healing, which is very silly and off-putting to me. The mod I found stops this and makes it more old school where monsters are not like pinatas, lol, but just things to fight and defeat. The mod does a bunch of other stuff too (tweaks) that appeals to me enough to buy the Doom Eternal game just to play the mod version.
I didn't like Doom Eternal at first, but I found it pretty great once I got used to it. Not sure what you mean by "pinatas". I didn't have that impression at all. I did hate the brightly colored drops though.

The only mod I used was one that changed the different colors of the drops with the color used in Doom (2016).

I once tried the Shareware version of Doom 1.
At one point i tried to install a mod which would give the protagonist a bouquet of flowers in his hands with the goal to kill these monsters to death by hitting them manually with these flowers. I found that idea crazy, but it never worked, because ... I vaguely remember that mods worked only with the full version of the game, not with the Shareware version of the game, but i didn't realize it back then.

Aside of this, to this day I still do hope that they'll one day do another childish looking Commander Keen style game. It's sad that no-one does these lighthearted kinds of games anymore. Doom was their doom.

...It's sad that no-one does these lighthearted kinds of games anymore. Doom was their doom.
But they do. The Jazz Jackrabbit games, Sonic the hedgehog (Sonic Origins released in 2022). And a whole lot of others which can be found by searching for "Commander Keen like games" (includes both lighthearted and not-so-lighthearted games).

pibbuR

I have them. ;)

I speak of "nowadays". Those games are old now.
Yes, Indies still do them, and good games can be found there ( I have a few ) , but no big company would do that. That's what I originally meant.

When I write "no-one does that anymore (nowadays)", then I almost exclusively mean "the big ones". Which hints towards the problem : It's always Indies which do a certain kind of games. Not the big ones. Which shows - in my eyes - how much devoid the PC platform of fresh ideas coming from big companies is - which, on the other hand, hints towards their philosophy, their game making and publishing philosophy (of the big companies, again), which stands behind all of that.

Which is why I'm so much for diversity and against Monopolism : Only diversity brings out new ideas. Monopoly is created by and for those who want to get profits. And profits are more likely to get by relying on known and established formulae.

which is, an an even deeper level, why in some circles "ideas" and "knowledge" are dangerous . Because they can create something new. And for Dictators, and for power-hungry people in general, anything "new" is able to undermine the known and relyable formulue with/by which power and wealth can be accumulated.

New ideas are bad for established power-hungry people and their established ways to chain societies. Because new ideas can make them fall, like statues.

And ... even new ideas and diversity in gaming are monopolized : By Steam and by GOG, currently. Just try to imagine if Steam was no more ...

Alrik, sometimes you have a tendency to generalise and take things a bit too far. For the record, the Sonic games are made by Sega, not an indie developer, and Sonic Frontier was released in 2022.

Last edited:
Doom was so awesome! The graphics were AMAZING!! I played the hell out of that game, and even made a couple of levels for it.

Doom 2... eh. I think I played it all the way through at a friends' house and never bought it myself. I remember having to cheat to finish the game off, which I didn't like much.

But... THIRTY years?? Time flies when you're gaming, I guess.

I also have fond memories of Doom multiplayer...the 1st PC game I ever played on LAN with a friend. Using the chain saw on those pinkies ;-) That was followed by DukeNukem3D multiplayer which was frickin amazing. The shrink ray, jetpacks, HoloDuke - I think it was under appreciated.

edit: and yea, never really go into or enjoyed Quake....