E3, one of the world’s largest video game conventions, is shutting down permanently, its organizers said on Tuesday, ending what was once an annual rite for players and creators after it struggled for years to remain relevant in a rapidly evolving industry.

“After more than two decades of E3, each one bigger than the last, the time has come to say goodbye,” its hosts, the nonprofit Entertainment Software Association, announced on its website. “Thanks for the memories,” it said, adding, “GGWP,” or good game, well played.

I always wanted to attend an E3, but being on the opposite side of the country from me didn't make it an easy sell. I wish it had traveled to different spots instead of always being held in Los Angeles.

Now I regret never going even more. :(

I always wanted to attend an E3, but being on the opposite side of the country from me didn't make it an easy sell. I wish it had traveled to different spots instead of always being held in Los Angeles.

Now I regret never going even more. :(
I always wanted to go to gaming convention whether it be E3, Gamescon, Pax whatever but it is very difficult since I live so far away. I could go to Pax Australia but it's quite small and no one I was interested in were there lol.

Shame that E3 is now permanently gone.

Everyone's a 'journalist', now. The select few that got invites actually had influence back then. I would have killed to get into one of these events during its heyday.

Ever since the Co-vid pandemic cancelled the show for two years the end was obvious to see. Especially now that every publisher has an online showcase, and other award shows.

I was fortunate enough to attend three of these forums back in the nineties, and at the time I thought they'd persist forever. That nasty covid impacted many such venues.

I went to a similar but smaller exhibition in my country (in the 90s). It was magical, seeing all those games, being able to play them and discuss with the people from different companies - even buying the games on the spot. So exciting!

I liked following E3 a few years ago when Gamespot was properly streaming the interviews and the shows. It would have been great to be physically there, but I wouldn't pay such travel and hotel expenses for that (I've been at Las Vegas to participate in other trade shows as exhibitor, which must have been about as crazy).

Out with the old retail system; now everything's online and decentralized. Who needs to meet any more? Sad times.