HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers reviewed King Arthur: Legion IX:

KING ARTHUR: LEGION IX REVIEW

Set in the same dark fantasy universe as King Arthur: Knight's Tale, this is the latest game from NeocoreGames. King Arthur: Legion IX is a turn-based tactical game mixed with a character-centric RPG. I had the opportunity to take a look. Let's see if the Ninth Legion is good enough to rise from the dead or if they should stay fallen in Tartarus.

[...]

CONCLUSION
So, with all that being said, does the Ninth Legion in King Arthur: Legion IX deserve to rise up from Tarturas? I certainly think so. If you are a fan of the first game, King Arthur: Knight's Tale, then I am sure you are happy to see the developers made another game in the same dark universe. If you have never played the first one, don't be afraid to jump into the universe with this game. Play the other one later if you want.

There weren't a whole lot of things that I could find to complain about. I think the biggest thing that kind of stood out as odd was the fact that the voice of Gaius Julius Mento during the game was not the same as the voice in the opening cinematic. That was kind of off-putting for me. Gaius sounds a lot more metallic in the game. I actually thought there was something wrong with my audio during the first mission. Other than that, the voice acting was really good.

The only other thing that might be a downfall for some people is the fact that the game is so linear. Now, I'm not saying that every game has to be open-world. However, as I mentioned in the map section, there is only one mission per level and every level after each mission. Even if there are multiple missions available at one time. There really is no point in doing them out of order. That just feels a little limiting to me. Almost like there is no point to having more than one unlocked at a time.

With only two things to complain about, I would say there really isn't any reason not to check this one out. If you are a fan of turn-based tactical games or RPGs, then I would say this is going to be a good one to dive into. I really enjoyed the setting and the combat. Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether the game is right for you. The game is available on Steam here.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I played through the game and finished the main portion (I haven't done what they call the endgame content yet). The game was fine but felt a bit lacklustre.
It's very cheap so it's hard to fault that, but it felt short, with very little choice in what to do (there are only 6 characters and you take them on almost all missions).

I found a Knight's Tale the better game for sure.

Still not a bad short game, but the best way I can describe it is XCOM Chimera Squad after playing XCOM2 :D

Still not a bad short game, but the best way I can describe it is XCOM Chimera Squad after playing XCOM2 :D
Which I never did :(
Sometimes I forget that I have it on my library.

I just tried an 'endgame' mission and it's obviously lower quality. I uninstalled. Was good for £12 but ready to continue ATOM once I get back into the mood.

- EDIT: probably worth playing Chimera Squad. It's pretty short but it's not bad.

good gameplay and art.. if only the setting and the writing were warhammery. if those things were switched.. oh how wonderful. but.. this way im playing a 5 out of 9 due to gameplay. and abandoning the other 5 out of 9

The thing that I can't understand about this game is how they haven't implemented yet a way to check your character screen while in a mission. The game has a lot of gimmicky and situational bonuses (ie, "deal +X damage to enemies further than 4 tiles away" or "killig a unit restores 2 armor") and you keep getting gear every mission, which makes it impossible to really remember what every character can do to make the best use of them, which at higher difficulties is pretty crucial.

I'm not sure if they intend it as part of the balance that you have to take screenshots before the mission or study your characters and have flawless memory, but no RPG demands this from players, and then the game has a map/minimap to trivialize exploring, so it's not like they're against babysitting, it just feels lazy.

I just finished the game in Brutal Roguelite setting, and the best thing about it is that it only took me 30ish hours to get there.

I found it to be disappointing in general, and the saving grace was the price tag. The fact that it's a game that fits my niche tastes for challenging TB combat kept it alive, but had it been any longer, I'd have fallen out pretty quickly.

A bit of a summary of my thoughts:

Pros:

1. Challenging tactical combat with different difficulties to choose from. Some encounters propose different approaches to be defeated, and it makes for interesting tactical alternatives.
  2. It offers a different story with a varied cast of historic characters, facing a variety of morale choices.
  3. It's mostly bug-free, with nothing game-breaking, which makes for a smooth gameplay experience.
  4. Competitive price (though it's not exactly a full game, more about this on cons).

Cons:

1. Most of the maps and enemies are reused from King Arthur: A Knight's Tale, so it's basically different encounters and story with the same assets. It's basically a DLC marketed as a stand alone game, but even then, most DLCs usually offer new assets. This game does not.
  2. Very poor QoL. You can't organize your inventory, you can't see what talents or gear you have equipped during missions, you can't even see what value you have on some crucial stats like Dodge or Double Damage. In general, it feels like it has been rushed out with general disinterest for its quality.
  3. The missions are too quite lower quality than King Arthur: A Knight's Tale, and the voice acting is also worse. A lot of things have been simplified, and rarely in a good way. In general, a worse experience.

I can't recommend this game in general. For die-hard fans of challenging TB RPGs, there is a niche here, but there are also plenty of alternatives that offer more, especially in the QoL department.

Last edited: