HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamepressure reports that Kingdom Come: Deliverance II will be similar to its predecessor:

Kingdom Come 2 Set to Be More 'Dark and Serious.' However, Devs Assure Style Continuity from Original

Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 will be better, more serious, and darker than the first installment of the series, but the Warhorse Studio is talking about evolution rather than revolution.

Despite a slight spoiler, fans of Kingdom Come: Deliverance still enthusiastically embraced the official announcement of the sequel to this medieval RPG. Especially since the devs of KCD 2 shared lots of information about the project.

Tobias Stolz-Zwilling of Warhorse Studios spoke with us twice: the first time before the game was officially revealed, and the second time, just after the presentation. During both interviews, the Czech revealed a little more about the second Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Better and more, but without revolution
As is typical for a sequel, the second installment is meant to be "larger and superior to its predecessor," but the devs don't want to change anything by force.

When it comes to a "twice as big" game world (which will consist of two maps), the matter is simple. However, when it comes to other elements, the developers prefer evolution over revolution. The combat will be made somewhat easier and will include new weapons such as firearms and throwing weapons. However, this won't turn KCD into a shooter, especially since this first category of weapons will be quite primitive and - if handled improperly - dangerous to use. The system will continue to offer a significant level of complexity for those who wish to fully understand it.

The same applies to the story, which is to be more "deep, dark, and more serious," but still not without the humor known from the first part. As the civil war in Bohemia escalates, Henry will once again find himself caught in the midst of the conflict, attempting to balance good intentions with the need to use ethically questionable methods.

However, all of this will be interspersed with funny or less serious situations. Suffice it to say that Henry's allies will include some truly "peculiar" individuals. The well-known and beloved Hans Capon returns in the sequel, just as rebellious as in the first installment.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Divinity: Original Sin II and now Kingdom Come: Deliverance II. What's going on with these name monsters? One would think a little simpler and more catchy name would sell better...

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin II and now Kingdom Come: Deliverance II. What's going on with these name monsters? One would think a little simpler and more catchy name would sell better...
D:OS 2 & KCD 2 there sounds better doesn't it? Nah game names are always terrible.

The combat will be made somewhat easier and will include new weapons such as firearms and throwing weapons. However, this won't turn KCD into a shooter, especially since this first category of weapons will be quite primitive and - if handled improperly - dangerous to use. The system will continue to offer a significant level of complexity for those who wish to fully understand it.
Instead of making it easier, make it better. If they thought the problem was that the combat was hard then they are misinformed. It's more that the controls were bad, you had no idea how your character would react and it felt janky & unresponsive to me.
Also, melee-combat in first person, why? For crossbows and other range weapons it makes sense but I've never understood why anyone thought that melee in first person would be a good idea.

Instead of making it easier, make it better. If they thought the problem was that the combat was hard then they are misinformed. It's more that the controls were bad, you had no idea how your character would react and it felt janky & unresponsive to me.
I tried to explain that to their support on Discord, since their email doesn't work any more, but I doubt it will ever be seen. I only got 2 replies from people who basically said it worked fine.

As for the 1st person view, it's just for a better immersion. It would be very bad to jump to 3rd view in combat - you'd first need to define when there is a combat. It was the same in games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

As for the 1st person view, it's just for a better immersion. It would be very bad to jump to 3rd view in combat - you'd first need to define when there is a combat. It was the same in games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.
I seem to recall that Skyrim let's you choose either 1st or 3rd person. Works for both ranged and melee. Other RPGs like the Witcher 3 and Elden Ring are both 3rd person so I think it's more a matter of taste than what's more immersive.

I seem to recall that Skyrim let's you choose either 1st or 3rd person. Works for both ranged and melee. Other RPGs like the Witcher 3 and Elden Ring are both 3rd person so I think it's more a matter of taste than what's more immersive.
3rd person is already less immersive than 1st just because you see your body - it's in the name itself: 3rd person.

Then, you can't use a bow in 3rd person without breaking the immersion a little further. There's a neat system in KCD that mimics instinctive shooting so it would be a shame to have a virtual ight like in a shooter (sight which couldn't even be aligned because of the view).

Why would the 1st-person view be a problem for melee combat?

First-person is more immersive during exploration not during combat. There's a reason why all the best melee-heavy combat games are third-person. It just works better. I've never played a first-person game where melee didn't feel at least a little awkward at times due to the view.

Why would the 1st-person view be a problem for melee combat?
I think it's because in 1st-person you can't see or feel how your body moves. That's a smaller problem for shooters, but for melee combat body movement is essential. In realy life you can feel where your body party are in space and feel the dynamics of where they'll be in the next moment.

I think it's because in 1st-person you can't see or feel how your body moves. That's a smaller problem for shooters, but for melee combat body movement is essential. In realy life you can feel where your body party are in space and feel the dynamics of where they'll be in the next moment.
That's true when your arms are far up or sidesways (otherwise you can see them), though that information isn't really useful in the game. You know where the blow will end, and you know the timing, exactly like in 3rd person view.

In 1st person, you can better see your enemy since you face him, and you can also see him closer. You can watch what he's preparing, exactly where he blocks potential blows with a shield. You can see your shield. So I think it more than compensate the temporary out-of-sight arms when they move away. That being said, the 3rd-person view allows you to always see the entirety of the scene, which is helpful and probably easier in less realistic melee combat when shields and so on aren't so important.

It's also more realistic since you can't cheat by seeing what's not in front of you, and you get that dreadful sight if you put a helmet on. And it's scarier, too, since it's literaly in your face. :)

The only drawback I can think of is people who get motion sickness, as in all 1st-person games.

Things like rolling don't work in 1st person either. The field of view is too small and would be too disorienting. Also I want to see my character and all the cool weapons and armour I've spent so much time collecting, crafting and modifying. What's the fun in just seeing it in inventory screens and maybe dialogue?
I agree though that 1st person can feel more scary and in your face but I still think it's inferior to 3rd person melee combat in so many ways in computer games.

We probably just have different ideas about immersion or different opinions on how we prefer to experience it.

I agree with the frustration of only seeing the full character in the inventory; that's something I sometimes wished I had an option for in CP 2077.

Why not just let that one game be a bit different to the others? I had no issues with the 1st person, but would agree that the controls were janky especially with M&K. Hopefully, they'll make the combat more fluid and less frustrating yet keeping the difficulty.

Last edited: