HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted an article about XCOM-likes on Tom's Gaming Blog:

2024, the year of X-com-likes

The X-com genre hasn't exactly been dead, so I can't say 2024 is the year it will make a glorious comeback, but hot damn, there sure are a lot of games coming out in the genre making it somewhat of an event. For X-com aficionados the world over it's going to be a very busy year with a lot of turn-based tactical combat and the building of bases. Now, I can't say for certain that all these titles will come out this year, but the prognoses are looking good for many of the games. I will list the games under three categories. Games that are set for a 2024 release (according to Steam), games with a more unclear release, and then games that are out already. Here we go!

Xenonauts 2
Zodiac Legion
Cyber Knights: Flashpoint
Project Haven
King Arthur: Legion IX
Crown Wars: The Black Prince
Menace
Every Day We Fight
Mars Tactics
Interregnum: False Prophet
Urban Strife
Archrebel Tactics
Twilight Wars
Classified: France '44

[...]

More information.

Lots of upcoming good games. I don't cross any of these games off my list. Let's hope for a good year of tactical games.

I would feel more comfortable with the list if they had titled it "The Year of Tactical Combat RPGs" rather than X-Com likes, considering just a couple of those games are remotely similar to X-Com, and there were many Tactical Combat games before X-Com (like this older and more successful saga that someone might have heard of, called Fire Emblem) but I'll take it.

A good year for Tactical RPGs is a good thing in my book.

Urban strife won't be released till 2025 maybe 2026, and Project Haven has gone completely silent. Other then that it is indead a very good list of Tactical games.

Last edited:
I guess everyone has their own idea of what an "X-com like" is, but to me it seems like he just slapped the label on anything with tactical combat.

Out of all these, Urban Strife is the one I'm most looking forward to, although it does sound like it won't be out for quite some time yet.

Out of all these, Urban Strife is the one I'm most looking forward to, although it does sound like it won't be out for quite some time yet.
Same, although I'm interested in Menace as well, and possibly King Arthur: Legion IX too.

I still think there's a chance Urban Strife gets released towards the end of this year.