HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Songs of Conquest devs are working on the stability of the game:

We need your axe!

Greetings Wielders!

As the release date for 1.0 is creeping closer day by day, we are trying to focus mainly on stability and a good experience.

However, unexpected issues before a release are almost more of a rule than an exception. And we have just found a pretty serious issue with the AI and how its trading has worked.

When the AI tried to trade resources, it looked something like this:

- (AI) "Hey! I want to buy two extra stone to be able to buy this building. How much does it cost?"
- (Trader) "How much gold do you have?"
- (AI) "20.000 Gold. So how much do I owe you?"
- (Trader) "20.000 Gold, please"
- (AI) "Uhm, sounds a bit expensive... But ok, here you go!"

We had a nice, but stern chat with the trader and passed some new laws that it's not allowed to raise the prices depending on the budget of the AI like that. So, good news, the issue is now fixed. Huzzah!

But as you probably understand, even though it is a small fix, it can cause a snowball effect making the AI much more difficult to beat - on all difficulty levels.
For example: If the AI could break out of the first zone by round 7, it might now sometimes break out at round 5 or 6 instead - which would give it an advantage in later stages of the game.
Consequently, if we look at the end game with an AI that wants to trade a resource to buy research - this would before deplete most of its gold reserves in the process, so now it would just have more gold in general resulting in more troops, research and all that good stuff.

The positive thing about this is that the AI will feel more competent, especially in the later stages of a session. The negative is that the easier difficulties might be too difficult to be called easy - and our efforts to give every player a difficulty that feels appropriately challenging might be unbalanced now.

But the thing is, we don't know yet. And to find out we need lots of testing and data, something that takes a lot of time.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I'm not ashamed to say I hope the easy mode will be easy. I stopped enjoying these HoM&M-like games when it started to be all about rushing and trying to be as efficient as possible, when I like the adventure aspect of it and the tactical combat. I don't hope to be able to do what I did in HoM&M2 (have a huge army and stomping everywhere with a single hero, maybe two).

My biggest mistake was initially treating it like a HoMM clone and playing it that way; it felt like I was fighting against the game a bit. Obviously it shares many similarities but there are more differences in there than you might expect, and it sort of deserves being approached as its own unique game and letting go of some of those old HoMM strategies (though some still work).