This game seems like it has so much potential. I'd love to play it when it is fully finished and the flaws lessened.
Agreed. I am going to wait till the expansion is out and then see what the future plans are. Ideally I want to wait till all the content packs are out and there are some decent mods. I have a feeling that if I do a single playthrough of this it should be with mods given it appears to the weakest beth game so far.

I played it for some 50 h or so until I run out of time to play games and also interest. The type of sci-fi Starfield is about should be right my alley and hence I was expecting a lot from the game. Seeing the reception, it did surprise me positively, and I enjoyed my time with it more than expected. As you say, the game has so much potential most of which it manages to miss in one way or other. I think that makes most people frustrated with the game and leads to the negative reviews. Compared to any other AAA game published since TW3 I have tried, Starfield feels dated. One often wonders what did they think while making a feature in the game as it could have been made so much better with no more effort. Somehow the game and the universe feels bland and soulless. Despite a recent war, one does not feel the tension among the factions. The largest cities do not feel like cities, rather settlements although the lore seems to indicate that there are millions of people in them. As an example: the space port in the main city has three landing pads one of which is for the player's ship and two others empty most of the time. When comparing it to CP2077, the main city feels like an empty afterthought. Even Mass Effect 1 had more lively feeling main "city" (Citadel). Perhaps the biggest disappointment to me was that they did not make the game more scientifically grounded. Yet, the game has its gorgeous moments and I am happy it exists. One of my favorite things was to land on those moons looking around and waiting for the sunrise (starrise?). The celestial object physics model is quite impressive in the game and should get more attention. Waiting for a few years before trying it can be a smart choice.

Last edited:
I played it for about 15 hours and gave up. I can't recall being so bored and frustrated with an RPG in a long time. I'm glad some are enjoying it but it is hard to imagine ever trying the game again. I found the story to be meh, the combat was pretty boring imo, and I hated the whole travel system (it felt like I spent more time going through the UI and loading screens than actually doing anything fun).

Now, I did start playing it right after finishing BG3, so maybe that wasn't ideal, but still, I just did not enjoy it at all.

I've enjoyed my first playthrough but yeah this is the first Bethesda game to bore me. The problem is their formula has gotten stale, while competitors have evolved more.

Last edited:
The problem is their formula had gotten very stale, while competitors have evolved more.
I agree. It seems that they blindly trusted that people would still bite the formula, which they had success with 15 years ago. FO4 already started to feel a bit seen to me and repenting it for Starfield was a miss. It's frustrating because in essence their game-making philosophy is great, but they should have the courage to develop with the time and not to lag a decade behind others.

I agree. It seems that they blindly trusted that people would still bite the formula, which they had success with 15 years ago. FO4 already started to feel a bit seen to me and repenting it for Starfield was a miss. It's frustrating because in essence their game-making philosophy is great, but they should have the courage to develop with the time and not to lag a decade behind others.
I like Starfield. I spent 100 hours with it and plan to play more, probably when Shattered Space comes out.

The biggest issue I had with Starfield is the part of BGS' formula that they didn't keep: the exploration. The exploration is not very good in Starfield. For all of Fallout 4's faults, it has great exploration, maybe the best in BGS' catalog. Skryim was also great in that regard. That in some way made up for the lack of RP options and the fluctuating quality of quests/dialogue. IMO Starfield has better quests/dialogue than those games, and more RP options, but losing the exploration element hurts it.

Well as long as Todd is in charge I don't see the formula working or improving.

I played it for about 15 hours and gave up. I can't recall being so bored and frustrated with an RPG in a long time. I'm glad some are enjoying it but it is hard to imagine ever trying the game again. I found the story to be meh, the combat was pretty boring imo, and I hated the whole travel system (it felt like I spent more time going through the UI and loading screens than actually doing anything fun).
Just curious, but did you enjoy Bethesda's other games?

I agree about the story being meh, but I thought the combat was a significant improvement compared to their past titles.

I agree about the story being meh, but I thought the combat was a significant improvement compared to their past titles.
Combat, and shooting in particular, was probably the best thing about it. Shooting the guns, the shotgun especially, actually felt very good. Maybe on par with the modern Wolfenstein, although not as good as Doom 2016.

I've enjoyed my first playthrough but yeah this is the first Bethesda to bore me. The problem is their formula had gotten very stale, while competitors have evolved more.
I would not say the formula has gone stale, it is more that they missed the most important parts of the formula.

Yep, I've played and enjoyed (to varying degrees) everything back to Daggerfall, so I knew what to expect. Who knows, maybe in 5 years I'll try it again, but I've honestly not been so disappointed in a game in a long time.