Lords of the Fallen - Interview @ RPGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Probably the most sympathetic producer I've seen in a long time! This says further goods about the project made with lots of love to game art & design.

It's looking awesome, but I have a couple of minor issues based off the E3 gameplay…

Firstly, In the Souls games your weapon can impact the wall and cancel your strike. I always thought this was a great feature because it made the environment factor more into the combat and it made you think about which type of attack to use. For example, in a tight corridor you'd use a thrust or over-head strike and save wide horizontal strikes for more open areas with more enemies in the encounter. In Lords of the Fallen it would appear you can just swing through the walls like they don't exist.

Secondly, I noticed there's a regenerating mana bar. I'm a big fan of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and I see an opportunity to "scum" by boringly waiting for your mana to regen after every encounter. In DCSS this is viable but it would eat into your food supply, but because there's no hunger in Lords of the Fallen, I think they'd be better off with either a system like Dark Souls/D&D with limited memorization per rest or with a rapid regen of your mana when out of combat so you always have the same mana to use with each encounter.

It's looking awesome, but I have a couple of minor issues based off the E3 gameplay…

Firstly, In the Souls games your weapon can impact the wall and cancel your strike. I always thought this was a great feature because it made the environment factor more into the combat and it made you think about which type of attack to use. For example, in a tight corridor you'd use a thrust or over-head strike and save wide horizontal strikes for more open areas with more enemies in the encounter. In Lords of the Fallen it would appear you can just swing through the walls like they don't exist.

I found this to be very annoying in DS. Due to limited move sets of some weapons it rendered them useless in tight quarters. This was compounded by the fact that I played a dex build in DS2 and felt weapon selection was already pretty limited.

I could have lived with that if that was the only problem but the main problem was that many enemies didn't have to play by this rule. I met many a death by a monster clipping through structures that my weapons would Clank off of.

Back
Top Bottom