Lords of the Fallen - Interview @ Connected Digital World

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Connected Digital World did a video interview with Lord of the Fallen's Creative Director, Jan Klose.

More information.

The graphics and fluid movements of player and enemies is very impressive. However, the AI seems lacking: each enemy repeats a the same set of moves or attacks and just follows the player.

I hope that enemies will be smarter than this and provide a proper challange, and not just the bosses.

Dark Souls enemies, even the simplisit undead, can kill unwarey players because of their unpredictictability.

Doesn't this game already exist? Pretty sure it does. It's called Dark Souls. :rolleyes:

It makes me sad that this game is being made and something like Deathfire can't even scrape up a Kickstarter campaign.

I haven't seen enough gameplay to comment on AI but I will say lords of the fallen looks alot nicer graphics wise than DS.

Also, while I love DS 1 and 2 and beat them both I wouldn't say the enemies were all that unpredictable. Once you learned there behavior you could use the same tactics to beat them 99% of the time, especially bosses.

Not to mention that the same tactic was highly effective on probably 90% of all the enemies. Charge them and stay real close then circle strafe and occasionally roll as needed.

Now if I start a new game I can run through the burg naked with just fists and never die. (ok, I equip a weapon for havel and parry him to death) Sure once in a blue moon they will mix there attacks in a way I didn't expect and hit me once but dying is never really a threat.

As I said I love Dark souls but it's AI really just boils down to learning patterns as well.

Doesn't this game already exist? Pretty sure it does. It's called Dark Souls. :rolleyes:

It makes me sad that this game is being made and something like Deathfire can't even scrape up a Kickstarter campaign.

Doesn't a game like Deathfire already exist? pretty sure it does. It's call wizardry or darkspire or M&M or frayed knights or you get the idea.:roll:

I'm sure there's room for some Dark Souls clones in the gaming world.

I haven't seen enough gameplay to comment on AI but I will say lords of the fallen looks alot nicer graphics wise than DS.

Also, while I love DS 1 and 2 and beat them both I wouldn't say the enemies were all that unpredictable. Once you learned there behavior you could use the same tactics to beat them 99% of the time, especially bosses.

Not to mention that the same tactic was highly effective on probably 90% of all the enemies. Charge them and stay real close then circle strafe and occasionally roll as needed.

Now if I start a new game I can run through the burg naked with just fists and never die. (ok, I equip a weapon for havel and parry him to death) Sure once in a blue moon they will mix there attacks in a way I didn't expect and hit me once but dying is never really a threat.

As I said I love Dark souls but it's AI really just boils down to learning patterns as well.

This is true for all action adventure games. But with Dark Souls, I found that there is more than one pattern of attack for each enemy and they switch between them.

I am not as good as you in Dark Souls and some of these attack patterns do get me even when I am very careful:'(. Having said that most of my deaths in Dark Souls 2 were because of the stupid mouse lag.

I hope they do a good job with the mouse and keyboard for Lords of the Fallen, it indeed looks very good.

Doesn't a game like Deathfire already exist? pretty sure it does. It's call wizardry or darkspire or M&M or frayed knights or you get the idea.:roll:

I'm sure there's room for some Dark Souls clones in the gaming world.

YOU may choose to support complete ripoffs, but I will not.

One could make the argument that supporting games like this just leads to more publishers pushing out clones of other games to cash in without having an original bone in their bodies.

Edit - Sorry, I'm a little grumpy today :D. Too much coffee. o_o

Last edited:
YOU may choose to support complete ripoffs, but I will not.

One could make the argument that supporting games like this just leads to more publishers pushing out clones of other games to cash in without having an original bone in their bodies.

I can respect that but I'm not sure how you can call lords a complete ripoff Unless you want to say Deathfire is a ripoff as well.

Lords will have very similar combat and 3rd person perspective but then they put there own spin and feature on it.

Deathfire will have very similar combat and a first person perspective and then they will put there own spin and features on it.

What's the difference? Oh, that's right. You like Deathfire but not Dark Souls.

Pretty much all games copy stuff from other games.

And yes I will support games I like whether they are similar to others or not. Should you not play Risen because you played gothics or ignore Icewind dales because you played BG or or skip DAO because you played NWN.

I could go on and on. If you don't want to play games that copy other games then you'll have to retire your keyboard and mouse.

This is true for all action adventure games. But with Dark Souls, I found that there is more than one pattern of attack for each enemy and they switch between them.

I am not as good as you in Dark Souls and some of these attack patterns do get me even when I am very careful:'(. Having said that most of my deaths in Dark Souls 2 were because of the stupid mouse lag.

I hope they do a good job with the mouse and keyboard for Lords of the Fallen, it indeed looks very good.

Yes i'm crossing my fingers for proper M&K support as well.

Your right all action games use patterns and I'd agree Dark Souls does it the best.

I can respect that but I'm not sure how you can call lords a complete ripoff Unless you want to say Deathfire is a ripoff as well.

Lords will have very similar combat and 3rd person perspective but then they put there own spin and feature on it.

Deathfire will have very similar combat and a first person perspective and then they will put there own spin and features on it.

What's the difference? Oh, that's right. You like Deathfire but not Dark Souls.

Pretty much all games copy stuff from other games.

And yes I will support games I like whether they are similar to others or not. Should you not play Risen because you played gothics or ignore Icewind dales because you played BG or or skip DAO because you played NWN.

I could go on and on. If you don't want to play games that copy other games then you'll have to retire your keyboard and mouse.

I don't know man. This game just rubs me the wrong way. Those other games you listed were made by the same developers/publishers, and this game has no affiliation with From Software, unless you consider affiliation completely ripping off source material :).

So, when you die - and you die often, your XP is left there and gets depleted, so you need to get it back and you can also stash it at "safe spots". Sounds eeriely familiar. You can piece the story together from notes left around the place but are not encouraged especially to do so. Sounds peculiarly familiar. Dark fantasy world, too.

This would be a carbon copy, were it not for the Blizzardesque art direction and the set main character.

I'm not saying it'll be a bad game, but it certainly rubs me the wrong way, too.

I don't know man. This game just rubs me the wrong way. Those other games you listed were made by the same developers/publishers, and this game has no affiliation with From Software, unless you consider affiliation completely ripping off source material :).

I can understand that. Everyone has their hot button issues.

I just don't have a problem with dev's copying ideas and really if it's a good idea I want them to copy it. Batman combat style comes to mind. I'm glad other games are starting to use it as I find it fun and who knows maybe they'll the same ideas and execute them better. It's not like there are so many DS type games that we couldn't have a few more.

Take a game like shadows of mordor. It's has assassin creeds vertical play style with batman combat plus they threw in a very original idea of their own with the nemesis system. I'm very excited about that game and you could definitely say the ripped off other games.

Besides your game hasn't arrived until you've been copied.

Nice catch on the same dev's/ publishers. I didn't even realize it when I was listing them but you could always just substitute other games.:)

@soulbane, I thought I saw a video saying they'd have a more concentrated story with multiple endings, crafting the ability to bank xp and a new game + mode. Oh wait, that last one doesn't support my argument.:D

Very similar for sure but I think they'll be enough new in it so I don't feel I'm playing dark souls.

In case there's enough new and original crafted into it, sure, I'm all for more good games. I'm just not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom