ELEX - Interviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Our Eye spotted a few Elex interviews. The first is at Gamepressure.

here is huge fanbase for your series like Gothic – especially in Europe – people are constantly looking for something new concerning your games. Did you ever consider continuing with Gothic series or was Elex your primary goal?

When you ask three people what was the great thing about Gothic, you get five opinions. The central term you always hear is “because of the atmosphere of the game it was so good”. We analyzed all previous titles and we think there were many mind-blowing situations in the game. We want to put all of these cool situations together in one game now. And the reason why we don’t do another Gothic title is that we want to do Elex.

So you’re combining everything that was best in these games?

Yeah, but it is in a completely new context, because sci-fi elements and post-apocalyptic elements make it so interesting and challenging for us. We put it in a hybrid, a setting that we call science-fantasy. So far we made computer games in a fantasy setting, now for seventeen years or something. We think it’s time for a completely new start. If we were to do another Gothic title, we feel like we’re in a closet. Many fans also have their own expectations about what Gothic is all about – you have to implement Xardas, you have to implement Milten, and so on. The expectations that you have to fulfill are so high that we say “no, we want to have freedom to decide what to do”, and Elex is the answer to that.
And there is an interview in German with Nordic Games at Redbull Austria, which you could try to read with Google Translate.

More information.

I think it would be very hard for them to make another Gothic. I agree that expectations would be very high. I am hoping they do a good job with Elex. The idea seems interesting.

This interview seems very familiar. Either this is a repost, or they were asking the same questions as a previous interviewer.

am i the only one doubting they know what they re talking about?
fingers crossed

Hmm…maybe my memory is finally going dim, but I don't remember many "mind-blowing situations" in the Gothics( the ones that I've played…3 is still on hold). It was more about sense of journey and slow, satisfying progression in those games, of rising from nothing to…well, at least something.
When you look at it, it's really mind boggling(?) how PB managed to regress from Gothic I/II even when 10 years later they're still making games based on same design.

When you look at it, it's really mind boggling(?) how PB managed to regress from Gothic I/II even when 10 years later they're still making games based on same design.

I'm currently trying to play Risen 2 and I would probably rank their games from best to worst in the exact order they released (pending Risen 3 which I haven't tried yet). Sure the first two Gothic had awful controls but they were fun to play once you got past that. Gothic 3/Risen1 were lots of fun too, especially in term of exploration, but the later started to show the downward spiral. Risen 2 is just awful.

I almost feel like installing Risen 3 to see how bad it is now. I doubt I'm going to finish Risen 2 anyway, might as well just skip it.

Hmm…maybe my memory is finally going dim, but I don't remember many "mind-blowing situations" in the Gothics( the ones that I've played…3 is still on hold).

I remember this great twist when the old camp attacked the fire mages and closed the gates.

That was awsome writing in my eyes.

This interview seems very familiar. Either this is a repost, or they were asking the same questions as a previous interviewer.

In this interview Gamepressure says:
"You can read our first impressions here. After the presentation we sat down with Bjorn Pankratz, the game director at Piranha Bytes, and asked him few questions about Elex and their previous titles."

Those first impressions they refer to = a preview of an earlier date already mentioned by
Gamepressure scored the first English language Elex preview

I presume you have seen that posting of Gorath. Some of the info mentioned in Gamepressures preview found its way to their interview as well - or vice versa.
HTH.

I'm currently trying to play Risen 2 and I would probably rank their games from best to worst in the exact order they released (pending Risen 3 which I haven't tried yet). Sure the first two Gothic had awful controls but they were fun to play once you got past that. Gothic 3/Risen1 were lots of fun too, especially in term of exploration, but the later started to show the downward spiral. Risen 2 is just awful.

I almost feel like installing Risen 3 to see how bad it is now. I doubt I'm going to finish Risen 2 anyway, might as well just skip it.

Personally, I'd rank Risen above Gothic 3. There's no doubt Gothic 1&2 were the best though.

Risen 2&3 are far from awful, but to each his own.

Personally, I'd rank Risen above Gothic 3. There's no doubt Gothic 1&2 were the best though.

Risen 2&3 are far from awful, but to each his own.

Risen is one of my favorite games. I found it very enjoyable with a beautiful open world to explore.

Back
Top Bottom