Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what you mean. Is that on the front page or the forums? What do you mean with 'page that does not have any posts' related to loging in?
Sorry, missed this.

If I click on an article from the front page, i.e. click on 'Comments'. If there are 'No Comments' on the article, it will not load the article page. It gives me a stop page, telling me there are not Comments. This stop page exits because I'm not logged in yet, but the Stop page itself doesn't allow login. I think this means, if someone is not logged in, they can't go to the page if they click 'Comment' to enter the page.

Wish I could explain it better, but I'm confused by it too. Just now today, tried it on 'Phoenix Point - Game Demo Video Monday' , it seems to have worked. So I'm not sure if it's only some pages/links.

The comments link does not load the article, it brings you to the forums to give comments, but indeed if you are not logged in, the link brings you to a different forums page, which is a vBulletin hack enabling to link the forums to our posts and articles. Would need to look into why it doesn't have the same layout as the rest.

Thanks, reading the front page can cause me to want to post something and often just click on the link to bring up RPGWatch write up. See what you mean about it not actually being a link to the article. I should have been more clear, so I'm gonna blame it on low caffeine levels! ;)

What was going on yesterday? I was getting sporadic "500" errors.

When I click the Comments link in the "XCOM 2 12 New Features..." newsbit, I receive the following vBulletin message:
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

What could be happening?

The first post was moderated, because of a new poster with less than 10 posts embedding a link. That resultedin the entire thread being moderated and be invisible to everyone but moderators and Admins.

You don't. It has been disabled due to too much spam abuse.

I only ever posted on the Dot as a visitor. Its a shame. We attracted a lot of devs that way.

But there is always some bot that figures out how to bypass every capcha that's out there. We can't even stop bots from completely bypassing as a registered user.

Why would you want it?

We got a lot of interesting traffic that way - particularly from developers. For example. on the old Dot one of the Curry's made their lone post ever as an unregistered user. He had to tell someone Wiz 8 wasn't abandonware.

To prevent confusion (by me at least) the following:
Visitor messages, in our forum, is the functionality where a visitor can send a message to a registered user. These message show up in the profile of that registered user. This has been disabled due to spam abuse.
Allowing visitors to post creates a lot of spam. We already have more than enough spammers (bots or not) trying to register on a daily basis. Several are caught automatically, but quite a few still remain.
I have absolutely no intention to invest the amount of time needed to keep the forums clean when enabling visitors to post again without registering. I doubt anyone else on the staff wants to do that either.

Last edited:
I agree with Myrthos. If you want to post register; it's not difficult to do!! :)

To prevent confusion (by me at least) the following:
Visitor messages, in our forum, is the functionality where a visitor can send a message to a registered user. These message show up in the profile of that registered user. This has been disabled due to spam abuse.
Allowing visitors to post creates a lot of spam. We already have more than enough spammers (bots or not) trying to register on a daily basis. Several are caught automatically, but quite a few still remain.
I have absolutely no intention to invest the amount of time needed to keep the forums clean when enabling visitors to post again without registering. I doubt anyone else on the staff wants to do that either.

I have no illusions it would ever be implemented again, I was jsut saying.

I agree with Myrthos. If you want to post register; it's not difficult to do!! :)

Yes, Corwin, you let me know multiple times on the Dot that I was a mere guest, so your position has on been clear on this to me :)

--

I'd like to poke another that maybe we should consolidate these threads, or rename one of them to make them more focussed.

--

Lastly, is there anyway we could minimize images (or even youtubes) without reposting them somewhere manually? I know that attachments do this automagically, but you have to login just to view them.

I don't know how hard this idea would be if it were not already built in. Maybe some way to size the window the image pops into?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

Sorry, I'm talking about the ability to change the size of the images you post, not on all images visible. I posted one today that seemed oversized to me.

A feature request : Exact phrase search.

I was searching for discussions having "the dark eye" in their title. I got 100.000 results having either the word "dark" (Dark Souls !) , "eye" or a combination of both.

When I was using "the dark eye" with these quotation marks, I got no results at all.

Same with "TDE" but that's at least understandable.
Anyway, I think it would be a nice thing to have a tiny bit of an explanation on how keywords can be used within the search window.

A feature request : Exact phrase search.

I was searching for discussions having "the dark eye" in their title. I got 100.000 results having either the word "dark" (Dark Souls !) , "eye" or a combination of both.

When I was using "the dark eye" with these quotation marks, I got no results at all.

Same with "TDE" but that's at least understandable.
Anyway, I think it would be a nice thing to have a tiny bit of an explanation on how keywords can be used within the search window.

Try going onto the "Forums" > "Search" and try searching with quotes. IT worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom