Black Geyser - Gameplay Video & Kickstarter Soon

Thanks for chiming in Rothgor your game looks fantastic. Don’t be alarmed by the negativity around here you have plenty of folks rooting for you!

Not turn-based, but inventive enough to be interesting.
I know it's not the same, but "auto-pause each round" support is planned. :) Like in Baldur's Gate.

Regarding interesting features, greed will be the most important systematic feature. It enables a variety of distinct playing styles. For example, if you take all loot every single time, greed will infest the kingdom faster, so while you will never miss a powerful item from a defeated villain, you might miss some of the finest wares from merchants (because they will be too expensive or go bankrupt and close their shop). This means that intelligent decisions will be important in every aspect (for example, you might want to set a loot strategy for yourself). Also, as greed infests the kingdom, battles may get more challenging, because new hostile adventurer parties may appear after a battle ends - to fight for your loot. More information here: http://www.blackgeyser.com/game-novelties#greed

@Rothgor;
Is black geyser referring to an oil vein or something? I would say use the name of the world itself but Yerengal sounds pretty terrible too.

Why not call this game simply
Couriers of Darkness

Get someone to help you develop place names that are based on a recognisable mythology and please consider changing the name of this game.

Other than that I am looking forward to this game.

And no more silence - there will be regular updates from now on. Let me know if you have any questions.
Good stuff and thanks for the answers! Looking forward to hearing more and supporting your campaign.

I hate RTwP combat and doubt this game will change my mind on it. But I will say I like the visuals / art style for the most part. Good luck with the Kickstarter!

I know it's not the same, but "auto-pause each round" support is planned. :) Like in Baldur's Gate.

Regarding interesting features, greed will be the most important systematic feature. It enables a variety of distinct playing styles. For example, if you take all loot every single time, greed will infest the kingdom faster, so while you will never miss a powerful item from a defeated villain, you might miss some of the finest wares from merchants (because they will be too expensive or go bankrupt and close their shop). This means that intelligent decisions will be important in every aspect (for example, you might want to set a loot strategy for yourself). Also, as greed infests the kingdom, battles may get more challenging, because new hostile adventurer parties may appear after a battle ends - to fight for your loot. More information here: http://www.blackgeyser.com/game-novelties#greed
How does your greed influence everyone else?
Is your character a God or something? (EDIT: OK a goddess of greed gets more powerful, but why does your character have such a big influence? )

Also why is it greed to pick up items from foes that tried to kill you?

I’ve followed this game for years and like some of the ideas. I’m a little bothered by the running animation. He is really swinging those arms but doesn’t appear to be moving that much faster than walking. Not a huge deal and I know there are way more important things they need to worry about.

Question - Will your investors/publisher let you release this on gog?

Thank you for your feedback. Animations (as well as a number of other things) will be improved a lot for the release. Yes, there will be a release on GOG and Steam.

Also why is it greed to pick up items from foes that tried to kill you?
Play the game and you will see ;) Seriously, greed also means you take something from somebody who has is in bigger need of it than yourself. In this particular case, you can think of Loot Scavengers - poor, desperate (and sometimes insane) creatures. They are usually humans but can be any race. They collect items of dead creatures, which they will try to sell anywhere (such as the black market). To make a living.

It doesn't mean you should leave a powerful magical weapon on the ground, but you may choose to do so with a generic dagger or a ring. It's up to you.

Of course, this was just a quick example. The greed system is much more complex than this, and carefully elaborated.

Last edited:
Play the game and you will see ;) Seriously, greed also means you take something from somebody who has is in bigger need of it than yourself. In this particular case, you can think of Loot Scavengers - poor, desperate (and sometimes insane) creatures. They are usually humans but can be any race. They collect items of dead creatures, which they will try to sell anywhere (such as the black market). To make a living.

Of course, this was just a quick example. The greed system is much more complex than this, and carefully elaborated.
So your character that is on an quest to save people needs to leave stuff for some random scavengers that should not be doing that anyways but collecting berries or stuff in woods to survive if they are hungry?
Is this real or a joke game?

So when you are on a business trip to close a deal for your employer, you need to help on a beggar that asks food from you (that he shouldn't do anyways but robbing people or collecting non-existing berries in the city if they are hungry)?

I should be the PR guy here but seriously, I'm going to suggest (seriously) the developers to add a little (and mostly harmless) troll with the name "Archangel" to one of the caves in Isilmerald ;)

So when you are on a business trip to close a deal for your employer, you need to help on a beggar that asks food from you (that he shouldn't do anyways but robbing people or collecting non-existing berries in the city if they are hungry)?

I should be the PR guy here but seriously, I'm going to suggest (seriously) the developers to add a little (and mostly harmless) troll with the name "Archangel" to one of the caves in Isilmerald ;)
I see your English is even worse than mine so maybe what you are trying to say makes sense in your language.. but I don't have a clue how killing evil overlords and taking their magical loot compares to beggars in 21st century city.

So are you saying that in 21st century if you are attacked on the street by a mobster and you manage to take him down, it is ok if all the beggars around strip him naked so they can sell it and buy food?
Also you are somehow equating laws in 21st century world with a magical goddess of greed?

And you can name your trolls any way you want. It will not make this "Greed" concept make more sense.

At least you renamed that Master Crusher (or whatever its name was) to Highlander now. There is still some hope for this game.. but with that attitude you will have only trolls in your game with lots of random names from the internet.

I know only one troll so far. Joking apart, we are grateful for all constructive feedback. If you notice changes in the website or in other materials occasionally, that's because this is an unreleased game. A work in progress. Feel free to create a changelog every year, we appreciate it. :)

My advice - or rather my personal preference - would be to coherently root the greed systems (or other systems) by the gameworld's lore and thus let it be coherently explained. It should be clear why the actions of an individual (or when having a party a small group of individuals) have a significant impact on the gameworld.

Torment: Tides of Numenera did something comparable with their tide system which was coherently explain and thus didn't break immersion.

I'm generally quite secptical with these kind of systems but I'd accept them with a proper explanation.

So your character that is on an quest to save people needs to leave stuff for some random scavengers that should not be doing that anyways but collecting berries or stuff in woods to survive if they are hungry?
Is this real or a joke game?

So if you are hungry you shouldnt try to make at least some money by simple means but instead go to woods and eat berries or grass (probably) all days. :roll: Is this real opinion or a joke post, Archangel?

I like the UI, am not a supporter of RTwP combat systems, and am not a fan of this game concept of "greed", but good luck with the KS, Rothgor ! I hope you get this one off the ground !

Back
Top Bottom