Kingmaker - Steam Page Up

A great philosopher once said that all arguments are pointless

I'm curious which ones you feel look worse?

Skittles obviously taste better than Reese's Pieces.

Are we really having an argument here about different art styles? Painterly vs Cartoon vs Photo-realistic vs Comic style vs Pixel, etc? Are we going to argue about Hip-hop vs Pop vs Jazz next?

This is The Watch. People here are still playing Gothic 1 and Ultima 7. This is the most fucks that people give about graphics:

fefe38161baacd8d9c7c4e80314f14d2--spider-meme-stupid-funny.jpg

Are we really having an argument here about different art styles?

This game barely qualifies as having a style. It's boring and vanilla.

Visuals are not the most important thing, and I'll still be trying this despite its ugliness and lack of artistic creativity. They do matter though. I want my games to have soul.

i personally feel this game barely qualifies as having a style. It's boring and vanilla.

Visuals are not the most important thing, and i'll still be trying this despite my personal opinion on its ugliness and lack of artistic creativity. They do matter to me though.

fixed!

Yep that's how I write my opinions about games, and my preferred tastes sometimes.

As a joke I sometimes add a disclaimer in some replies.

* This is just my personnel opinion based on my own preferences.

Also please read my sig below for another laugh about the internet.

images

I'll still be trying this despite its ugliness and lack of artistic creativity.

I will try this game despite my pre concieved judgement that it has boring and bland graphics/art directions, and degenerate D&D combat I dislike.... because you know, I'm open minded and shit!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Does anyone truly believe the visuals hold up to other recent major CRPGs?

gkpCTzBxxurrHzZAcTgXCc.jpg

PillarsofEternity2%207.jpg

1200px-Sentinel_Stand_Outer_Walls.jpg

429d8e99-1a91-4c0f-9ffd-3e85a08014c9_strand_greathall.png

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20mod%20support%201.png

ss_9ceff2ce232d0b6b765545bd0e96ebf9992e299d.1920x1080_8.jpg

spellforce-3.jpg

ss_f614348e8e62c41db78e6226d4ed08aa81cac4c7.1920x1080.1000x562.jpg

Or even these cheaper and less well known CRPGs?

4.jpg

DZdpZE6XUAYUgW4.jpg

Well, let's be honest: that actually looks leaps and bounds better.
Even bloody Beamdog did show something promising ( probably their lead artist got drunk or something)

16091_500.jpg

Kingmaker looks more on par with Age of Decadence, Fallout. The good news is with all the outdoors greenery, it will prob get one of Vurt's flora overhauls. :)

Kingmaker lacks for details, which I personally prefer, but I think Owlcat makes up for it in stylization. I would prefer the BG2 look with BG1 sprites because I never fell out of love with that look.

Can someone name all the RPGs in the "cheaper and less well known CRPGs?" BoboTheMighty quoted. I recognize the middle one already.

Yeah the first one is Black Geyser. I actually really like that vineyard one.

As for Kingmaker, I think it has decent quality of graphics and art directions. I like the soft pastel pallettes and while I found concept art for characters too anime-like, the in game models don't look all that much different to other similar games.

Eh? I hope you're exaggerating because that's just silly.

I'm more serious than American in a donut shop. ;)
Well ok, maybe not Fallout, but reminds me quite a bit of AoD with bit more color.

I will try this game despite my pre concieved judgement that it has boring and bland graphics/art directions, and degenerate D&D combat I dislike…. because you know, I'm open minded and shit!!! :rolleyes::lol:

I'll give every isometric CRPG a chance, but there's not much to be excited about here. Pathfinder combat is boring, the Stolen Lands are boring, the Kingmaker story is boring, and the visuals look terrible. I'll be impressed if Owlcats can make a game I enjoy out of this.

The one thing that looks mildly interesting is the kingdom building and management, but I suspect it's just going to be a gimmick like Caed Nua was in Pillars of Eternity.

The graphics in this game look great to me - I guess I must have no taste (quite possible). Graphics aren't the point of a game like this anyway, the point is a new, real CRPG with (mostly) D&D 3.5 rules. I'll agree that RTwP blows (rather have turn-based), but if you dislike Pathfinder combat in general, this game probably isn't for you? For me, this looks like the likely GOTY 2018.

Graphics aren't the point of a game like this anyway, the point is a new, real CRPG with (mostly) D&D 3.5 rules. .

The bigger question is why people still want a game based on D&D 3.5 in 2018.

I'll give every isometric CRPG a chance, but there's not much to be excited about here. Pathfinder combat is boring, the Stolen Lands are boring, the Kingmaker story is boring, and the visuals look terrible. I'll be impressed if Owlcats can make a game I enjoy out of this.

The one thing that looks mildly interesting is the kingdom building and management, but I suspect it's just going to be a gimmick like Caed Nua was in Pillars of Eternity.

= pre conceived judgement :)

The bigger question is why people still want a game based on D&D 3.5 in 2018.

Because people still like D&D 3.5 in 2018?

It's not a pre-conceived judgement though.

I know about Pathfinder combat. I know about the Stolen Lands. I even know about the story and characters since they're directly based on the Pathfinder adventure books.

These are things I already know about, which is how I know they'll be bad in the videogame. Even worse since everything will be more limited than the P&P version.

Because people still like D&D 3.5 in 2018?

I know, but get with the times. 3rd edition D&D wasn't even that good back then.

Why D&D?

Take something like a broad immunity to spells. Modern designers would consider this bad design because they want all builds to be successful all of the time. They design their games to have no obstacle that may cause frustration for a casual player. D&D allows a variety of approaches to overcoming a problem and involves intrinsic creativity. D&D does not care if your build sucks. D&D will however allow you to approach the problem sideways and the best CRPGs mirror this.
This is why D:OS's has been successful compared to similar games even through it does not use a D&D system it does allow creative problem solving with the systems it does have. Compare that to the arbitrary restrictions of other CRPGs and the no build can fail design and it equals boredom.

Back
Top Bottom