The TV Series discussion thread

It's titled handmaid's tale, not politicians' tale. ;)
It's however possible that in the next season we'll see more of details in this society, introduction of "the economist" near the season's end is most probably related to it.

Watching Sharp Objects. Slightly Lynchian, less weird, more modern white trash southern gothic perhaps. Amy Adams' half-lousy reporter character is so completely fucked up and psychologically ruined in this mini-series so it's interesting to see her try and function and help solve the murders of young girls in her hometown.

Ok I did run into an episode of Handmaid's Tale tonight that just blew me away with....utter waste of time. The episode is titled "Holly", and wow, I'm just glad I had a book handy!!

Think we've only two left to watch, hopefully they are far superior to this last one.

Watched the first 4 episodes of The Colony. Took me a while after watching the first episode 5 months ago or so, but I persisted and now I think I'm getting into it. It seemed a bit dull at first (science fiction without the science, a bit ordinary) but each episode has enough stuff happening moving things forward. I hope they can keep this up.
Although they just killed one of the more interesting characters so far (the ex-CIA lady boss)

The Colony is not bad. It's nothing superb, but fun enough to follow and won't irritate you, at least it's first two seasons. Definetly superior to Spielberg's Falling Skies fail that was also about a family vs alien invasion.

Finished the second series of Power Man, or Luke Cage if you will, today. I was really hoping for more Daniel Rand in this series, but perhaps that will happen later, as I find the Heroes for Hire to be the peak of the Power Man/Iron Fist mythos. It was pretty good, I'd say a slight step up from the first series, and some really good set-ups in the end for what might come next.

Is Handmaid's Tale a slow-burn? I'm only on the second episode of the first season and find myself bored. Sure, the concept is unsettling but the scope is pretty limited and uninspired (so far)!

I liked neither the book, the movie, nor the series of The Handmaid's Tale. Tried to watch the first episode of the series around the time of its premiere and found it a drag with a physically unappealing lead actress. Not my beer. What was TRULY awful, though, that I tried to watch a while back was the Picnic At Hanging Rock series on Amazon. It's a complete travesty, horrible on every conceivable level. The movie is an all-time classic.

Never heard of the movie. Series is a slowburn horror - if you find it boring, drop it, it's not ment to be mainstream product filled with mediocre story, horrible acting and nonstop action with explosions.
Dunno if I said it before but it's not typical Hollywood garbage with plastic boobs and cutes. Casting an ordinary, normal woman for the main role is just another reason why this show is a masterpiece. But we already saw superb stuff with nonplastic actors. Greek Wedding and Fargo for example. What, you didn't watch those because unappealing? Isn't that a bit shallow?

Last edited:
Never heard of the movie. Series is a slowburn horror - if you find it boring, drop it, it's not ment to be mainstream product filled with mediocre story, horrible acting and nonstop action with explosions.
Dunno if I said it before but it's not typical Hollywood garbage with plastic boobs and cutes. Casting an ordinary, normal woman for the main role is just another reason why this show is a masterpiece. But we already saw superb stuff with nonplastic actors. Greek Wedding and Fargo for example. What, you didn't watch those because unappealing? Isn't that a bit shallow?

You have a condescending & cunty way about you, Joxer, assuming that people that don't like the same exact movies and television shows as you are into only "typical Hollywood garbage" despite much evidence to suggest otherwise. This personality trait is not conducive to cultivating real world friendships. But I always value your tastes and opinions. For example, when you overuse and bandy about the term "masterpiece" for something you think is absolutely great, I've discovered more often than not that it's something that is completely overrated, so yeah. I value your tastes and opinions. You've rarely been wrong in my grand perfect barometer scheme of things. Q.E.D. I loved the movie Fargo, chip.

I'm just blunt and don't wear gloves often. When it comes to real world friendships, it's always "if you can't stand the heat"… ;) For all I know, I've never lost a friendship I cared for.
Also, typical Hollywood garbage doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. When in a group, commenting those can be extremely fun. Other than that, if you like a genre, you can still be entertained although you know it's garbage from the start. Because I like martial arts, I do watch even garbage products for example. All are good enough to put me to sleep. ;)

About the masterpiece term, I can't really understand why are people thinking it's supposed to be a synonym for godlike. It's not. A masterpiece is not a diamond being cut in some precise shape without any oddities. It's just mathematically flawless object, but it's not a masterpiece. Dart for example refuses to say anything is a masterpiece, I assume that's because it's always made by humans and not god.

I've already posted before that a masterpiece needs an imperfection. An entropic element (or more) slightly disturbing otherwise flawless work. To make a masterpiece, one needs to be extremely skilled in their craft. Audience doesn't have to like it, I've met people who hate Mozart.

But anyway, I'm not a wall of text personality so won't be writing an essay on what's a masterpiece (in my opinion). You could notice that unlike games where I can perform a sort of dissection and analyze elements separately, I tend to categorize movies and series into these (note that some works can get two remarks from this list):
- avoid at all costs
- watch only if you don't have anything else
- good for audience with different tastes
- very good, worth your time
- enjoy it alone
- guilty pleasure
- mustwatch before you die
- masterpiece

Joxer - have you tried using the search function? :)

I'm pretty sure I've used the word "masterpiece" several times in relation to entertainment or art.

However, I'm very comfortable pointing out flaws even in my most cherished masterpieces - but that's another thing.

Search is overrated. But it's nice to hear that heart of ice is melting. :)

Are there any good sci-fi shows besides The Expanse right now?

I haven't watched much TV for the last two years. :(

Nowadays I watch more DVD's and stream movies on my laptop.

So any recommendations for new shows @joxer;?

Sure. Humans which was supposed to be a remake of Äkta människor finished airing it's third season a week or two back. While starting characters are similar, the story takes a different direction from the original show so it's more of "inspired by" than a remake. It's kinda same as what happened with FMA. Same start, different branching/direction and ending, both good.

It's not new though. :)
And I'm not sure you should start it right now if you just finished watching Westworld. Unless you like androids theme.

There is also time travel messages and past changing ongoing thai series Signal which is a remake of IMO vastly superior korean show of the same name, but if you can't watch the original due to stupid geoblocking… It's still good. The original is streaming legally at viki.com, free with ads, but is not available in all countries worldwide.

Last edited:
But anyway, I'm not a wall of text personality so won't be writing an essay on what's a masterpiece (in my opinion).

Well, I thought you just did, but that's okay. You clarified your position and you're still valuable to me in my effort to sort out the good from the overrated. You matter.

Btw, who's the handsome asian lad in your avatar? I've had boy-crushes too over certain male movie stars. Klaus Kinski for example always had a hypnotic effect over me with his strange, sometimes androgynous seeming ugly/beauty and the mad intensity of his performances.

Back
Top Bottom