RPGWatch @ gamescom - Edge of Eternity Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
On the last day of our Gamescom articles we have Edge of Eternity, which was Kickstarted a while ago, so it was time to check it out.

Edge of Eternity is an open-world game, with a size of 256 square kilometers. The game will go to Early Access and at that stage the main quest will be about 20 hours. The side quests will add to that. For the final game the target is to have about 50 hours for the main quest and a similar amount for the side quests. The game is released by means of chapters. In Early Access the first chapter is released. The idea is to have a total of 12 chapters, where every two months or so, another chapter is to be released. Certain areas on the map will be locked when the chapters for those areas are not available yet. The story however, will be written in such a way that each chapter will have some sort of conclusion. That story will not be substantially influenced by your decisions in the game. There will be only minor deviations possible based on your decisions, especially in the side quests, but your decisions might change the game world. If, for example, a village is attacked and you don't help them, the village might be destroyed. This will mean that in your game that village no longer exists, but in another game that village might still exist because that player decided to help them. Events like these are conditional and are based on your actions in the world. This will occur only with side quests and not with the main story quests.
More information.

The last two articles from my sessions at Gamescom are planned for today. This is the first

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the suggestion to take a look at this game. As I know JRPGs are not a beloved genre on this site. Glad to see to developers sticking with it, and not giving up.

As I lost track of how many funded games that have ceased development.

Thanks Myrth. I don't mind the lack of choices as long as the world is interesting to explore and "wows" me. I'll give this a peek on release for sure. I'm back on a JRPG kick, haha. Had to balance the isometric CRPGs somehow. :p

[Edge of Eternity dev here]

Hi there! It's cool that RPGWatch is still giving Edge of Eternity a chance, even if it's a JRPG. We are very grateful.

As far as plot choices are concerned, you might expect *some* choices during the course of the game, though noting to the extent of traditional CRPG (Though I'm a huge fan of Fallout, Arcanum and PS:T.) One of the reason for that is that's a game without skills in the CRPG sense.

But on the good aspect, the combats will be turn-based on a hex grid - you'll be able to use your environments to your advantage.

For instance, if you want to lure some enemies in some place where there are some landmines, you can do it and exploit the presence of the aforementioned mines during combat.

What you see on the map during your travels is the same map during combat. (Combats take place where they are triggered.)

I know but it was a nudge for him to comment on his view of the playability even if he doesn't like jrpg ….
I could play the game, so it is playable in that sense. However from what I got about the game, it simply does not have the level of exploration, story and C&C I like in a game. I don’t care that much about combat and am usually not that good at it either. Combat sometimes just gets in the way to see what is behind the next corner.
So, I prefer a game to support non-combat skills that allow you to choose another path in conversations and get things done in other, non-combat ways. That said, I do play ARPGs every now and then, but just for a short while on an evening.
So, JRPGs usually don’t have the ingredients to get me really interested. That said, I am aware that there are people at RPGWatch who might like it, so I don’t mind checking out one or two while I am at Gamescom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom