RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018

Again another case of a gamer with not enough time to play RPGs so wants them to have no preparation/inventory management. No offense but I'm sure you can find games that cater to this preference.

Did you read what I said? You're not listening? Or you're failing to understand? You can have the best of both worlds.

There's plenty of preparation and inventory management in MHW but the way it's presented makes it painless.

Unlike, for example, Fallout76 where you can't really enjoy the game because your bags become full too quickly and instead of exploring and looting you're always in your awful pipboy UI finding something to drop.

It seems like the whole world is aware of how fantastic MHW but RPGwatch. Look at how popular it still is. 60k player peak every day on Steam since August. 12 million copies sold over all platforms. Being made into a feature film. It's a big deal.

From some of these comments it's like people have dismissed it as a kids pokemon animae game but it has so much depth to think about it puts most RPGS to shame.

I'm equally disappointed that so few people around here play Rogue-likes. I'm a huge rogue-like player, play in DCSS tournaments and have played a minor role in its open development. You know DCSS removed weight limit at one point? It was unfair to low STR races/classes plus you only have 52 inventory squares so that might as well be your limit. Same system as MHW. Do you see? After around 15 years of refinement we made it the same as MHW only before MHW existed. Do you think capcom plays DCSS? I think great minds think alike. When you play Stone Soup remember that it has a little bit of me in there.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone here really likes games. :(

Last edited:
Again another case of a gamer with not enough time to play RPGs so wants them to have no preparation/inventory management. No offense but I'm sure you can find games that cater to this preference.

Honestly, I've always found games with weight imposed inventory management more tedious than anything else. The "value add", which personally I think is none, is pretty much always eclipsed by the wasted time spent moving items around as opposed to doing something meaningful. I get that some people really want realism, but it's a problem when it detracts from the experience.

Did you read what I said? You're not listening? Or you're failing to understand? You can have the best of both worlds.

There's plenty of preparation and inventory management in MHW but the way it's presented makes it painless.

Unlike, for example, Fallout76 where you can't really enjoy the game because your bags become full too quickly and instead of exploring and looting you're always in your awful pipboy UI finding something to drop.

It seems like the whole world is aware of how fantastic MHW but RPGwatch. Look at how popular it still is. 60k player peak every day on Steam since August. 12 million copies sold over all platforms. Being made into a feature film. It's a big deal.

From some of these comments it's like people have dismissed it as a kids pokemon animae game but it has so much depth to think about it puts most RPGS to shame.

I'm equally disappointed that so few people around here play Rogue-likes. I'm a huge rogue-like player, play in DCSS tournaments and have played a minor role in its open development. You know DCSS removed weight limit at one point? It was unfair to low STR races/classes plus you only have 52 inventory squares so that might as well be your limit. Same system as MHW. Do you see? After around 15 years of refinement we made it the same as MHW only before MHW existed. Do you think capcom plays DCSS? I think great minds think alike. When you play Stone Soup remember that it has a little bit of me in there.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone here really likes games. :(

Number of sold copies never meant quality to niche gaming sites like this one (or Codex). If we cared about that number we would be on Kotaku or Gamespot and not here.
We only care about number of sold copies in a way that developers of our dear games can continue to get paid and make more good games.

Number of sold copies never meant quality to niche gaming sites like this one (or Codex). If we cared about that number we would be on Kotaku or Gamespot and not here.
We only care about number of sold copies in a way that developers of our dear games can continue to get paid and make more good games.

Codex has MHW in their GOTY list.

Codex has MHW in their GOTY list.
I was not talking about GotY lists, it was a general reply to your fake argument of number of sold copies = quality game.
Because by that logic I hope your best ever games are LOL, GTA5 and Fornite.

I was not talking about GotY lists, it was a general reply to your fake argument of number of sold copies = quality game.
Because by that logic I hope your best ever games are LOL, GTA5 and Fornite.

Well, don't take it out of context. Let's look at the full argument:

" Look at how popular it still is. 60k player peak every day on Steam since August. 12 million copies sold over all platforms. Being made into a feature film. It's a big deal."

What does being in Steams top 10 games for 5 months suggest?

If you look at Valves game, Artifact, the player peak went from 50k to 1.5k today in a shorter time.

As for those other games. I was a Starcraft and Warcraft3 ladder player so I played the dawn of MOBAS. Aeon of Strife in SC and a heap in Warcraft3. The first game out to copy Dota-Allstars was Heroes of Newerth and yeah it was a favourite game for years. But I never liked LOL because of the limited selection of heroes on a rotation.

GTA5 I've played a great deal of, too. Online only. I don't think much of it, really, but they do keep coming out with the free content and it's fun to jump the motorcycles off mountains.

Fortnite I played before anyone because I have Unreal4 engine installed so it was no trouble to try it out. BR isn't my thing. It's too random. You might land on a good weapon, you might only find rubbish. I was bored of it after 2 days.

I'm a hardcore gamer. I've run guilds with 500 members. I've traveled interstate to play DOTA2 in tournaments. I've won Baldurs Gate with a solo character, etc, etc. I know what I'm talking about.

Your full argument still comes down to Sold copies = quality.
I doubt you will find 5 people here that will agree with this.

No, I don't think that's the full argument at all. It's far more about how it's staying popular. I never said anywhere that copies sold = quality but continued popularity suggests they're doing something right.

However, "copies sold = quality" is more true than "lack of copies sold = not quality".

popularity is not a measurement of quality. Lots of people play candy crush.

No, I don't think that's the full argument at all. It's far more about how it's staying popular. I never said anywhere that copies sold = quality but continued popularity suggests they're doing something right.

However, "copies sold = quality" is more true than "lack of copies sold = not quality".

popularity is not a measurement of quality. Lots of people play candy crush.

Actually, for what it is, Candy Crush is a quality game. No bugs, good performance, accessible to everyone, etc. As far as "match 3" games goes it's very good.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel it could be improved to the point of "quality"?

MHW may be a great game, maybe even best game of the year, but it's not really a candidate for best RPG since its RPG aspects are light at best.

Actually, for what it is, Candy Crush is a quality game. No bugs, good performance, accessible to everyone, etc. As far as "match 3" games goes it's very good.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel it could be improved to the point of "quality"?

That just means it's a good written program. Accessibility almost always means, adapt to the lowest demeanor :/

VtM:B is by a lot of people a really good(quality) game but it had so many bugs & performance issue.

But I guess quality and what makes something good is really different to a lot of people. RPG as well. It means a different thing to different people.

Considering the state of release that Pathfinder had, I'm surprised it clocked in at the first position. I guess codex folks are more forgiving than I. And agreed, it is very nice to see Atom on the list, considering how late in the year it actually released.

Considering the state of release that Pathfinder had, I'm surprised it clocked in at the first position. I guess codex folks are more forgiving than I. And agreed, it is very nice to see Atom on the list, considering how late in the year it actually released.
Well it is a whole year poll, you are not limited to play it at release. If the game released in 2018 and you played it you can score it.
It does give advantage to games that release closer to years beginning . I would bet ATOM could have been first if it released earlier in 2018. Codex loves the most its Fallout like games.

Last edited:
700 hours play… Pretty sure it's Ragnaris' GOTY, too?

Keep in mind this is split between the PS4 and the PC. I double dipped, but I'm also the minority.

However, I'd say it's my personal GotY. Though not my GotY for RPGs because I don't think it's a RPG, and that's why I didn't list it.

I think if you want to discuss MHW further, by all means. But let's make another thread for it, shall we?

Last edited:
The seething toxic waste dump hath spoken. All praise to the mutant underground.

I dont think Codex GOTY 18 choice is controversial. Especially looking on full list, I think it covers most interesting RPGs of last year quite well.

Btw, I played MHW a lot last year, but I dont miss it on the list really. Its one of those shallow and repetitive games (not really RPG), that keeps you focused on that shiny bait just in front of you. And when you get it it shows you another shiny bait and so forth. Till somewhere during this endless effort you realize "Did I really spent so much time doing this?". Its nice game but unlikely I will get back to it in future :)

That just means it's a good written program. Accessibility almost always means, adapt to the lowest demeanor :/

VtM:B is by a lot of people a really good(quality) game but it had so many bugs & performance issue.

But I guess quality and what makes something good is really different to a lot of people. RPG as well. It means a different thing to different people.
I guess the word quality can apply to many areas of a game. Quality programming, quality design, quality graphics, etc.

VTM:B was a great game and it's a shame it was a technical mess because I would have loved to see more Troika games.

I noticed someone on Codex said something like "MHW was the only finished game on the list" because it's very, very well programmed and you don't have to wait for patches.

One of my favourite arcade games in the 90s was Capcoms Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows over Mystara (port is on Steam!) and for that game they manufactured their own hardware. Very few programmers these days have that sort of low level assembly coding expertise. These days it's all Microsoft controlled, closed source DirectX and using pre-made engines like Unity which requires even less skill.

MHW is a very demanding game, but I laugh when I see reviews say it's poorly optimised because it's one of the best examples of quality game programming I've seen.

Was Shadows Over Mystara a true RPG? Hell no! But for an action game it has more RPG elements than any other brawler which makes it a great game for D&D and Action RPG lovers who care more about the action than the RPG. Gameplay is the most important thing to Capcom and so you'll never see them using a system like Real Time With Pause because that system was invented by a bunch of medical students and not by expert game designers.

Keep in mind this is split between the PS4 and the PC. I double dipped, but I'm also the minority.

However, I'd say it's my personal GotY. Though not my GotY for RPGs because I don't think it's a RPG, and that's why I didn't list it.

I think if you want to discuss MHW further, by all means. But let's make another thread for it, shall we?
If you build it; I will come!

BTW, I beat Extreme Behemoth. Took me all day joining random SOS groups until I found one which was all Chinese character names, all using HBG builds, so I used my SnS healer and focused on mounting and hanging on without attacking while they used cluster bomb spam and Spread shots to draw aggro. We beat him third try.

Did you beat him yet?

I dont think Codex GOTY 18 choice is controversial. Especially looking on full list, I think it covers most interesting RPGs of last year quite well.

Btw, I played MHW a lot last year, but I dont miss it on the list really. Its one of those shallow and repetitive games (not really RPG), that keeps you focused on that shiny bait just in front of you. And when you get it it shows you another shiny bait and so forth. Till somewhere during this endless effort you realize "Did I really spent so much time doing this?". Its nice game but unlikely I will get back to it in future :)
Shallow?! :rotfl:

I don't play it for the shiny bait. I already have everything. I play it for the depth of the combat. I use all 14 weapon types. If you're getting bored then you're probably the repetitive one sticking to a single weapon and build.

Shallow is Diablo combat where you left click to attack or right click to spam ability until out of mana. Just have a look at the recent tweak to the Lance weapon which I didn't realise was nesessary and I bet you'll be instantly confused by its depth.

- Lance
Fixed a bug where pressing the right trigger + the B button after a Finishing Twin Thrust from a sliding charge would result in a High Thrust. This has been fixed so that it matches the attack flow of a regular charge into a Finishing Twin Thrust, so that a counter thrust now comes out instead.

Fixed a bug where, after performing a Mid Thrust upon landing from an Advancing Jump Thrust, the button guide would display Mid Thrust I instead of the proper name Mid Thrust II.

Fixed a bug where the game would perform a Guard Dash forward regardless of the direction the left stick is being pressed, if the right trigger and the Y button were pressed at the same time. This has been fixed so that even if the button inputs are slightly off, the Guard Dash will be performed in the direction the left stick is being pressed.
Do you have any idea what they're talking about? Sounds pretty complex to me! :)

Back
Top Bottom