Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer Analysis

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer checked out the Cyberpunk 2077 E3 trailer:

This year's Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay demo is staggering in scope and detail

At E3 2019, we got a fresh look at Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay. Here's what we thought.

The latest 50-minute hands-off demo of Cyberpunk 2077 is the first time it's looked like a real videogame. At E3 2019, we're past the spectacle of seeing a new CD Projekt game for the first time and are finally figuring out what it actually is. We've seen the menus, the upgrade systems, shop inventories, dialogue systems, varying approaches to solving problems--the usual 'go in stealthy versus guns-blazing' approaches were mentioned. We've seen the box art and ridiculous collector's edition.

Cyberpunk 2077 feels like Deus Ex with an obscene budget and Keanu Reeves. Like a thing that we will conceivably play and finish in April of 2020. It exists. The demo wasn't a revelation in game design, even if the technology and art direction is staggering in scope and detail. This is CD Projekt pulling back the curtain and tamping down the cumulative years of excitement to remind everyone that it's made a very large role-playing game and that it looks very nice and that it's coming out soon. Here's what I saw and what I thought about it.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Cyberpunk 2077 feels like Deus Ex with an obscene budget and Keanu Reeves.

I really hope it's not like Deus Ex and I can't care less about Keanu Reeves.

I won't lie, I am excited..

I'll need to make plans for work and social life in April 2020...

There are a great many things that would be worse than being like Deus Ex. :)

If it's like Deus Ex, but with better gunplay and a much larger open world, that would be a near-perfect experience to me.

I really hope it's not like Deus Ex and I can't care less about Keanu Reeves.

Curious…why?

Not that I'm biggest fan of the series, but Immersive Sims even with all the jank seem always so much more fun/interesting to play, than overcoming obstacles through binary success/fail skill checks.
New Vegas had some really great quests, but most of rpg mechanics were implemented in a rigid, "traditional" sense ( for example repair or medicine skill was used more in dialogue by telling people you're good at it/different flavor of persuasion check, than being organically integrated into quest design and actually using them).
It makes the experience feel so restricted, predictable, rigid…Age of Decadence is champion at this.
Always seem to me they're a logical step, evolution for Rpgs.
Only problem is they lacked char customization, variety of skills, and progression systems that classic rpgs have.
If this game manages both, that would be bloody amazing.

Deus Ex HR is one of the best games of all time in my view, and the latest Deus Ex MD is very good. But I view Cyberpunk 2077 as a very different type of game, much more open-world, RPG, quests, etc. although the environment and themes will probably have some similarities.

I need to make plans for April 2021, after @sibroc; has finished testing my game for me. ;)

Reeves is cool. As if I needed any further excitement for this game, though it's starting to remind me of Grand Theft Auto-- and that's bad. I don't like playing bad guys, so I hope there are some morally ambiguous paths, at least.

Curious…why?

This is likely a matter of personal preference, so I can't outright say Deus Ex sucks. From my perspective, Deus Ex is a glorified stealth shooter with a dull and redundant gameplay, an over-the-top cliche protagonist with Batman voice syndrome just so he can sound cool and generally average storywriting.

Again, I can't write off Deus Ex as "bad games", because I am aware a lot of people love them and it's a personal preference, but I really wanna have a good time with CP2077, and if it's like Deus Ex I won't.

On the bright side, being like Deus Ex will still be better than being like GTA.

To me both Deus Ex games I played (HR ands ) were quite mediocre. While gameplay and visuals where good, the story and atmosphere didn't grab me. And my biggest problem was Adam Jensen. He's just too ultra-cool with an ultra-cool monotous voice and doesn't in any way develop over the game. The other characters for me aren't memorable as well.

Which drugs? Cough syrup?

The original Deus Ex was the best DX game for its time, but it's not going to have the same impact on someone who didn't play it back then. 2000 was a long time ago, and most games from that era haven't aged well. If you played it back then though, it was a very memorable experience.

As for the newer games, I like Mankind Divided more then Human Revolution. The map was larger and more open, and there was more variety to the environments.

To me both Deus Ex games I played (HR ands ) were quite mediocre. While gameplay and visuals where good, the story and atmosphere didn't grab me. And my biggest problem was Adam Jensen. He's just too ultra-cool with an ultra-cool monotous voice and doesn't in any way develop over the game. The other characters for me aren't memorable as well.

I wouldn't worry about that. I think only influence is level design/openness of gameplay systems...Easy allies made some impressions vid, had an interesting comment how 2077 looked actually better in how this was integrated into environment ( with no super obvious stealth/combat/etc routes)
But settings are completely lot different, and I expect we'll see here a lot more personal story.

Yep, I don't worry about that. I'm confident CDPR will handle this differently.

Back
Top Bottom