Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds

Says 5 PM UK… Isn't that in an hour and half?
If that's so, I can't watch the live stream, won't be at home. I could actually, but I had enough of staying in this dump due to corona-bs and I want to enjoy the outside!
The count down says in sixty minutes. It's 11 am eastern time where I live.

At the very least he has zero respect for women and is a creep. He has already made his apologies for behaving like that, so it is not like it didn't happen.

Myrthos, thank you for moderating. I don't post very often at all and just wanted to add one observation.

While Chris has indeed apologized, it has been brief and non-specific. This is one of the longer examples: "There is nothing to say, really. I should have been better, but I did care very much. We continued to see each other for years after our first meeting, and I have no regrets." https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1274244818114248704

Respectfully, such an apology does not lend itself to reinforcing the assertion that he has zero respect for women.

Myrthos said:
At the very least he has zero respect for women and is a creep. He has already made his apologies for behaving like that, so it is not like it didn't happen.

correct. it was enough of a pattern of behaviour that he was banned

I do belief it is possible to deliberately get someone else drunk. In which case it is indeed that person's fault.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. No one forced her to drink anything.
No, she was not responsible of someone deliberately trying to have his way with her.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of drinking. You make yourself stupid, you lose your ability to make rational choices, you end up sick in the morning and feel stupid for being that stupid for doing that.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of drinking. You make yourself stupid, you lose your ability to make rational choices, you end up sick in the morning and feel stupid for being that stupid for doing that.

Drinking is good. It tastes good, lowers nervous tension, and good for the stomach.
The only challenge is is doing it with self control.

If you get into booze and get drunk, you are but a kid.
If you can put down the glass and call it a day, you are a grown-up.

I never drink with kids.

Sounds like a barrel of laughs. Where's the party at? :p

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I'm very open to discussion. I'd love to know how using any evidence other than social stereotypes that someone could watch two professional adults at an event drinking and assign one of them to role of predator and one to victim. Can you imagine the ridicule that the male would get if he claimed the victim role?

You clearly don't go to enough gay bars.

…where there are never enough predators to go around to all the would-be victims...

Myrthos, thank you for moderating. I don't post very often at all and just wanted to add one observation.

While Chris has indeed apologized, it has been brief and non-specific. This is one of the longer examples: "There is nothing to say, really. I should have been better, but I did care very much. We continued to see each other for years after our first meeting, and I have no regrets." https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1274244818114248704

Respectfully, such an apology does not lend itself to reinforcing the assertion that he has zero respect for women.
That's silly. Nothing he's done calls for any sort of public apology, and you have no idea what he's said privately to the particular people involved. Just because one of those people wants to form up a Cancel Culture Mob against him doesn't mean he needs to play along. That never goes well and I'm glad to see he's avoided falling into the trap (so far).

FYI, a reminder where this thread is at:
1. Interview with CA about his opinions on RPGs leads to…
2. Accusations for CA being a sexual predator leads to…
3. Uproar that CA is not gay.

I think a hmmm… logical follow-up would be…
A conspiracy theory that playing Baldur's Gate is hard proof that you are gay? :lol:

Sad if true. Men should show respect to women and that is all there is to it. On the internet it is always hard to tell what is true as anyone can post anything. In this case it sounds like he has been a bit of sleazeball (based on his response) but I'm not sure if it is anything more than that. If it is more than that then it would certainly lower my respect for him and it would put a small tarnish on the games he has worked on - but I reserve my judgement if the facts are not clear.

If he did anything unlawful I hope he will get trial and will be judged. If he crossed moral standards I hope his conscience is heavy and that he will be able to learn from it and improve.

But judging him based on internet discussion allegations? How high moral ground I would have to take to be able to do that? And other people do? What is their moral background that allowes them this? Who knows, they are anonymous.

And his apology? Is it hard to imagine he takes that route hoping to avoid further escalation, even though he might not feel guilt? Not saying thats what happened, but is it not possibility? People, please consider.

If he did anything unlawful I hope he will get trial and will be judged. If he crossed moral standards I hope his conscience is heavy and that he will be able to learn from it and improve.

But judging him based on internet discussion allegations? How high moral ground I would have to take to be able to do that? And other people do? What is their moral background that allowes them this? Who knows, they are anonymous.

And his apology? Is it hard to imagine he takes that route hoping to avoid further escalation, even though he might not feel guilt? Not saying thats what happened, but is it not possibility? People, please consider.

Personally, there's no way I'm judging him by some twitter allegations, unless and until there is due process.

I think his problem is that he's put himself in a very vulnerable position, by largely trading off his reputation through renting his name to projects. The trouble is, reputation can be a capricious thing, and businesses are always touchy about anything that invites potentially bad PR.

If it was unlawful it should go to court.

If it was something less the involved parties should sort this out in private.

In any case it should not be discussed on Twitter.

If you go public via internet both parties can get damage.

Seems the women who posted on Twitter was his Ex apparently.

He talked about that with his apology.

I see this happen a lot on Twitter. The biggest case was the guy from AMC who was defamed, de-platformed, and won the end. Even got his job back and compensation.

His name was Chris Hardwic.

If true it only adds to what I'm always saying, social networks need to die.

Back
Top Bottom