The Outer Worlds - Peril on Gorgon - Official Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon DLC is coming to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on September 9th, 2020:

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon - Official Trailer

More information.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Outer Worlds for what it was.

It was sad that it didn't have depth, better dialogue, better character development, and was light on exploration. Other than that, it was kinda fun.

Alright time for papa Couchpotato the most jaded member on this site to give his opinion once again. Warning: I don't care but I may trigger fanboy enthusiast's of Obsidian.

Two years ago almost everyone on the vast internet including gaming journalists, and Watchers proclaimed the The Outer Worlds is Obsidian's new Fallout NV.

Guess what it's not even close my dear friends.

1. It uses Unreal 4 which isn't mod user-friendly.
2. Now remember this it's not even open world.
3. Basically it's Fallout NV light for the poor-man.

Now digest all that and try to calm down snowflakes. You can take a short breather if you need to. I understand someone is sharing a negative opinion on the internet.

So having said that, I can at least say it's enjoyable for what it is at least. Now bring on the DLC , and eventual the sequel. Which will once again be compared to F:NV.

Now we have their new game which uses Unreal 4 again being compared to Skyrim.:roll:

Last edited:
What kinda messed up society have we created where one has to apologize for an opinion?

Ah lol.
That post lost me near the first sentence, TLDR :) Didn't seem to be heading in a good direction.

This idea that Unreal 4 isn't mod-friendly is a bit of a myth. There's not really much that makes a game mod-friendly or not, except for making its assets and data easy to access and replace. There's only 3 key things that make Skyrim easily moddable:

- much of the game data is in easily readable and editable tables.
- placing new models, textures, etc in properly named folders will override the default ones.
- they provide editing tools and documentation.

Unreal 4 can happily do all that, it's a just a question of going to the effort of designing things that way, which most games don't. Ark: Survival Evolved is an example of a UE4 game that has embraced modding. It would be more or less the same effort no matter which engine you used.

I think the problem with ToW is that we believed in Obsidian, and felt betrayed, or at least speaking from my own perspective. I was sold. I bought the hype. I was fully into this Outer World thing, the intro music was catchy, the teaser looked amazing.

Then the game happened. Hours of dull walking through loot-brimming containers, all with the same generic loot, over and over. Mountains and mountains of pointless, irrelevant loot, that I somehow felt compelled to keep hoarding. I left the first planet (after the tutorial) with thousands of every kind of ammo, and wondered what's the point to even have an ammo mechanic.

Found out that the plot was "corps are bad, hiss!" at every step of the way. The first planet's plot was about people getting sick cus they only ate tuna and the corp was turning a blind eye on them. The corp that had monopolized the food supply in the planet and produced that tuna. Who knew, that eating only one thing would get people sick, it's not like people of the future of some alternate universe would be aware of that? And honestly, why would a corp care about the health of its workers and the people that keep the cogs running. After all "corps are bad, hiss!".

More dull planets follow, with more lazy level design, more mountains of irrelevant loot, and a laughably trivial difficulty that couldn't keep anyone engaged.

If this game has any merit, is in choosing its timing. That year was the most awful in the history of videogames in regard to RPGs, which led to a lot of people actually considering this wanting piece of crap a "RPG of the Year". But not only that, Obsidian also cleverly bounced off the Fallout76 catastrophe who had dozens of thousands of fans all over the world raging, and seeking refuge in The Outer Worlds, praising and elevating it beyond its station only as a way to add insult to Bethesda - "see idiots, this is how it's done!". A lot of people were more interested on pissing on Bethesda than really appreciating The Outer Worlds for what it is: A mediocre, forgettable game that had it all to be fantastic, and never achieved but an inkling of it.

Bullocks sure the Unreal Engine can be modded but it will never be commonplace.

You usually need other software or installers for those who download your mods. Bottom-line not user friendly. Just look at the Mass Effect modding for reference.

See people love to complain about Bethesda and their old engine but its very user- friendly for mods. The keyword again user friendly just drop files in your data folder.

Let me restate the Unreal engine and the vast majority of it's games are not mod friendly @Ripper. Never has or will be, and one game does not change that reality.

We had this debate about other games & modding, and I wont do it again.

Bullocks sure the Unreal Engine can be modded but it will never be commonplace.

You usually need other software or installers for those who download your mods. Bottom-line not user friendly. Just look at the Mass Effect modding for reference.

How To Get Mods For ARK: Survival Evolved | 1 Minute Tutorial

Conan: Exiles modding

Mordhau modding

Robo Recall modding

Let me restate the Unreal engine and the vast majority of its games are not mod friendly. We had this debate about other games & modding, and I wont do it again. :cool:

That the vast majority of games made with Unreal are not particularly easily moddable is probably true, the same as most games made with other engines. As I said, the base engine you use doesn't really matter - it's all about whether the developers go to the trouble of laying things out in a way that's very accessible, and providing tools and docs for assistance. Mass Effect being hard to mod only tells us that Bioware didn't care to go to that effort of laying things out in a moddable way, in that case.

Again, it comes down to these slightly skewed ideas that some folks have about what a game engine is, and how much it dictates. Unreal doesn't prevent you from doing things that way, at all.

Last edited:
I think the problem with ToW is that we believed in Obsidian, and felt betrayed, or at least speaking from my own perspective. I was sold. I bought the hype. I was fully into this Outer World thing, the intro music was catchy, the teaser looked amazing..
I used to always believe in Obsidian but time after time it feels like the developer has no idea what they want to create. It's been a roller coaster over the last 20+ years.

What's the lineup now lets see.:brood:

1. More The Outer Worlds DLC
  2. Grounded a survival game
  3. Avowed First person ARPG
@Ripper what part of my reply did you miss where I said I wont debate this again. Lets just say as one modder to another lets just agree to disagree. Good day.;)

Ah yeah one more member added to my ignore list.:D

Last edited:
@Ripper what part of my reply did you miss where I said I wont debate this again. Lets just say as one modder to another lets just agree to disagree. Good day.;)

I'm not sure why you think I want a debate with you, or that I ought to stop talking if you don't want to discuss it.

I'm making a general point on the forum, because I think it's worth having some clarity on it. I don't care whether or not you feel like responding with your two cents.

It was a fun small game without ambition.
I had my fun for a time but I really don't plan on buying any DLC. I just don't care.

Well, I plan on buying it. Small or not - poor loot itemization or not, the game had quest design & dialogue that is rarely seen in a 3D RPG.

To me it seems a lot of people are butthurt after falling for the media & fanboy hype that it would be FNV 2.0. For most people grounded in reality, they saw through this and listened to the developers when they said, "No, it is not."

As to modding concerns, I'm not terribly sure why it's at the forefront of people's thoughts. Most people simply do not mod their games; for crying out loud, I see people on here, an RPG forum, that have yet to play Kingmaker because it's not turn-based :roll: And modding takes time and money - time and money that you only get if you're controlling the purse-strings.

As to modding concerns, I'm not terribly sure why it's at the forefront of people's thoughts. Most people simply do not mod their games; for crying out loud, I see people on here, an RPG forum, that have yet to play Kingmaker because it's not turn-based :roll: And modding takes time and money - time and money that you only get if you're controlling the purse-strings.

For me it comes up only because, as I mentioned in the other thread, I've always thought some studio could do a TES type of game, and do it better. We don't have much to go on, but it at least looks a bit like that style. Some folks seem to think that Unreal engine wouldn't be viable for that type of game due to not being suitable for modding, and that's just not the case.

Well, I enjoyed The Outer Worlds just fine... though I had little expectations about it one way or the other, which is generally the case for me (I try to not get too hyped up about games and just let the experience speak for itself).

Anyway, seems odd on this DLC timing... is it just me or does it feel rather long after release to following up with this?

It took me 120 hours to finish the game, but I did every quest, talked every NPCs, explored every location in the game. I read the posts and it seems it's only me who enjoyed the game. IMHO with its setting, quest design and dialogues it was a brilliant RPG that well suited to the legacy of Troika/Obsidian. Anyway I'm looking forward for the DLC.

I liked the first several hours of Outer Worlds a ton. Then it got repetitive and never recovered. I still think it was easily worth the money. The first area was enough and the dinner between Pavrati and the girl that looks like she came from Firefly was cute.

It took me 120 hours to finish the game, but I did every quest, talked every NPCs, explored every location in the game. I read the posts and it seems it's only me who enjoyed the game. IMHO with its setting, quest design and dialogues it was a brilliant RPG that well suited to the legacy of Troika/Obsidian. Anyway I'm looking forward for the DLC.

No - I fully enjoyed it as well so not alone. I had a blast with it and thought it and the characters was well done. Enjoyed the story and setting. I am looking forward to playing again with the add-on now that some time has gone by.

Back
Top Bottom