Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

• I'm 50/50 on this announcement time will tell if I'm wrong.
Hmm, not really sure how that works.

@rune_74; -I am 100% convinced you get a cut from new gamepass subscriptions, so my question is: can you get me a free month, or reduced subscription cost for a year or something?
:rolleyes:

@rune_74; -I am 100% convinced you get a cut from new gamepass subscriptions, so my question is: can you get me a free month, or reduced subscription cost for a year or something?
:rolleyes:

Hah, funny.

No, I just think it is one of the better things to come around in a long time...it just makes sense. I know a lot of PC gamers are resistant to change, but this is an awesome change.

Would really like to see Starfield as well. Its little worriesome they didnt show almost anything about game that is supposed to be in development for years now. Lets hope next info will not be about restarting development for new consoles and another 3-5 years of waiting.
Only official info was that short trailer from E3 and a few interviews with Pete Hines. I do remember a few reedit leaks that didn't sound to good. I'd say more info next year.

Bethesda Provides Disappointing Update on The Elder Scrolls 6 - ComicBook
Over on Twitter, Bethesda's Pete Hines confirmed that, more than two years later, the game is still very far away. When asked by a fan about release information for the upcoming Elder Scrolls game, Hines not only confirmed Bethesda has nothing to share, but that it won't have anything to share for a "long time." In other words, two years after its reveal, it doesn't seem like we are all that much closer to seeing more of the next mainline installment in the series.

It gets worse for Bethesda fans though. In addition to The Elder Scrolls 6, Bethesda Game Studios is also working on Starfield, which is expected to arrive before TES6. In fact, there's been some rumors and speculation suggesting the space-faring RPG will be revealed this year. All of this has apparently been nonsense though.

Also on Twitter, Hines confirmed we won't be seeing anything about Starfield this year, however, he did seemingly confirm we will see the game next year, 2021.
It's quite simple really surprised you can't understand.:p

FWIW, Game Pass for the PC is doubling in price as well... not saying it is directly connected but I imagine there is strategy behind the scenes connected to this (ie. efforts to bring even more games to that platform and they gotta recoup their investments).

FWIW, Game Pass for the PC is doubling in price as well… not saying it is directly connected but I imagine there is strategy behind the scenes connected to this (ie. efforts to bring even more games to that platform and they gotta recoup their investments).
That's the plan Microsoft makes billions off Game-pass and basically gives games away for free. They are breaking away from the old first party exclusive formula.
Every major publishing decision Microsoft has taken in the last three years, since the launch of its Xbox Game Pass subscription service, indicates it no longer sees much value in exclusivity — or even in selling full-price games, for that matter. One of the biggest franchises in gaming, Halo, isn’t even exclusive to the Xbox platform anymore. Thanks to xCloud, you can play Halo on an Android phone if you like. The next major release in the series, Halo: Infinite, will be free on Game Pass for console and PC when it launches next year.

Microsoft is no longer playing the same game as Sony, and the Bethesda purchase may well make that point clearer than ever before. Sony has followed a tried-and-true strategy of acquiring promising developers and nurturing them over many years to produce large sequel-friendly franchises like Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn. It also maintains strong relationships with independent Japanese partners, like From Software and Square Enix, to help maintain its edge so that the new Final Fantasy game or a Demon’s Souls remake comes to PlayStation first.

Microsoft may not necessarily care about exclusivity anymore, but it still needs studios. First-party developers are the lifeblood of game publishers because they allow them to control the cadence of major releases and better manage budgets and cross-franchise resources like game engines and creative talent. Most important to Microsoft right now, however, is having the final say on distribution. By owning a studio, Microsoft gets to decide where and for how much the game is sold, including giving it away for free as part of a subscription service.

If all goes according to Microsoft’s plan, consumers won’t be talking so much about which company has the better exclusive lineup or which brand “won” the next-gen race. Instead, chances are you may own both consoles and maybe even a PC. Microsoft may not really care — so long as you keep giving it $10 a month for Game Pass.
I posted the link back on the second page.:)

Netflix for gamers.

It should work. There's already stuff like Origin Access that works well, it'll all depend on the repertoire they offer. For me it's all good as long as they don't expect me to buy a console or play with a controller, and so far it seems like they're investing on making gamepass work on PC.

And in the end, the user can always choose when it's worth their £10 and when it isn't, so personally I'm fine with it.

"Poor Bethesda ! I knew them, Horatio !"

Yep Netflix for games sounds about correct. Though they will still sell the games on other platforms like Steam & Epic. It's just a way to double dip and make a bigger profit.

Though I wonder if any games will be GamePass only at one point though?

Well just preordered an xbox series x....also have the diskless ps5 ...going to be an expensive holiday.

That's the plan Microsoft makes billions off Game-pass and basically gives games away for free. They are breaking away from the old first party exclusive formula.I posted the link back on the second page.:)

Well, it isn't really free if one pays a monthly fee. It can be a good deal if renting isn't a deal breaker, especially since the price was ludicrously low. Isn't the price supposed to increase to 9.99 a month soon?

Well just preordered an xbox series x….also have the diskless ps5 …going to be an expensive holiday.
Nice good for you still has nothing to do with the topic though.:biggrin:

Guess I can play that game as well I finally bought and played Final Fantasy XV.:p

Well, it isn't really free if one pays a monthly fee. It can be a good deal if renting isn't a deal breaker, especially since the price was ludicrously low. Isn't the price supposed to increase to 9.99 a month soon?
Yeah but given you get 100's of games with that $10's a month it's a damn good bargain. Almost feels like free games. Only downside is the DLC and expansion policy.

As SSIGuy said Microsoft raised the price already.

Nice good for you still has nothing to do with the topic though.:biggrin:

Guess I can play that game as well I finally bought and played Final Fantasy XV.:p

It had a lot to do with the topic actually, their purchase of bethesda made me do both machines.

edit: plus I was a little hyped on getting one....

Last edited:
Yeah but given you get 100's of games with that $10's a month it's a damn good bargain. Almost feels like free games. Only downside is the DLC and expansion policy.

It was a steal before but agree it's still pretty good value if you're not too concerned with DLCs or owning things. I'm just wrapping up a play of Wasteland 3... basically less than $10 to play it instead of whatever it is to buy it right now.

I don't rent things. Never have. I'm way too fickle and whim based... I don't want to watch/read/play things on a schedule. So I want to own what I use.

That makes Gamepass unattractive to me, but obviously I see the value in it for those who don't mind not owning stuff. If there's ever Gamepass exclusivity, though, that would suck. I guess I'l cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Yeah but given you get 100's of games with that $10's a month it's a damn bargain. Almost feels like free games. Only downside is the DLC and expansion policy.

Ah, ok it already went full price.

Yes, 10x12=120 a year. Not much for the amount of entertainment and especially considering that there are brand new games there, where just one costs 60 to buy.

Not for me though. I dislike recurrent payments, since I tend to forget what I have and what it costs. Then suddenly I've payed for 6 months and didn't use it. Had the same problem with MMOs...

Microsoft isn't adding anything that would make me want the new Xbox, but I'm glad for the console gamers that don't have a gaming PC. I'll be getting a PS5 myself.

Back
Top Bottom