HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Techraptor has reviewed Cyberpunk 2077:

Cyberpunk 2077 Review

Not Quite Breathtaking

Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot to say about humanity and the world we live in, often in very unsubtle ways. With more than a few controversies about the game's development, you won't be able to stop yourself making comparisons to some actions and words spoken in the game. Corporations are evil, selfish, and deceitful, but 2077 also asks: are the people on the street any better? So should you get in line like the good consumer you are, ready to fork out your hard-earned cash for another product from those sociopathic corpos at CD Projekt Red?

While we usually just mention the platform of review in a disclaimer at the end, the vast disparity between the different versions of Cyberpunk 2077 make the question of which platform more relevant. This review was conducted on a high end PC. You'll find more information on the PC specs in the comments below.

If you do decide to bow down to the corpos and buy the game, you'll take on the role of V, a mercenary (merc) who hopes to go down as a legend of Night City in one way or another. At one point, V ends up with a chip in their brain that contains the psyche of a Night City legend of old, Johnny Silverhand. A rocker/corpoterrorist, Johnny's relationship with V, as well as the mystery of why this chip was created and what it's doing to V, is the main story driver of Cyberpunk 2077.

[...]

Cyberpunk 2077 | Final Thoughts

It wouldn't be a Cyberpunk 2077 review without a quick mention of bugs. I definitely experienced a lot of them frequently, but they were minor. Weird visual things, some sounds not playing or playing in the wrong places--stuff like that. Nothing that crashed my system on PC and nothing that spoiled any of the game's big moments. Your personal experience may be different, however.

Outside of the world design and the graphical candy on display, nothing in Cyberpunk 2077 is innovative. The questing is familiar and works as it always has, the open world is a formula we've been used to for a couple of console generations now, and gameplay mechanics are not nearly as engaging as they could be. However, all elements--aside from the bugs obviously--are crafted with a high level of competency. Much of it is obviously done well but not going to wow you, apart from Night City.

Cyberpunk 2077 is still a very enjoyable game that is a ton of fun to play. You'll find a new favorite character, laugh at a great line of dialogue, and you'll find yourself fully immersed in the year 2077. Just don't go in expecting a deep RPG experience, as you will certainly be disappointed.

Score: 8.5/10

More information.

That's a very generous score imo. I think CP 2077 easily has the potential to be a 9/10 game when most of the bugs and glitches are fixed, but I wouldn't rate it anywhere near that high in its current state.

On pc metacritic the critics score decreased to 87 (from 91) while the user score keeps increasing to 7.1 (from 5.8).
I didnt expect that low a score.

That's a very generous score imo. I think CP 2077 easily has the potential to be a 9/10 game when most of the bugs and glitches are fixed, but I wouldn't rate it anywhere near that high in its current state.

Are you getting that many bugs? (Honest question, I have yet to play it)

Last edited:
the longer you play the lower the score haha
i guess if you play only the story should be a high score, but you miss some fantastic side quests
well this is my goty even in this state, im still having lots of fun after 110h in it

the longer you play the lower the score haha
i guess if you play only the story should be a high score, but you miss some fantastic side quests
well this is my goty even in this state, im still having lots of fun after 110h in it

How on Earth do you have 110 hours in it. Are you playing right now, typing this post with your toes, being fed intravenously?

Are you getting that many bugs? (Honest question, I have yet to play it)

Not quest-related bugs, but there's general glitchiness and poor AI throughout the game that's hard to miss. It's more just a series of small annoyances than anything, but it does break immersion sometimes.

Well, he said that he experienced minor bugs only. That might explain the generous score.

It's playable on PC. Should you? Not if you want to avoid horrors. I saw a noodle stand with 2 different NPC servers occupying the same space, merging in and out of each other. And I couldn't even order noodles.

That's the kind of game it is now, my friends.

I agree with this but for me it's not just the bugs but some of the design decisions.

Like for example the crime system, which there is none to be honest. If you do something police officers or bots appear out of nowhere and attacks. If you kill them all then you're fine, just walk away no repercussions.

Or when you steal a car, you just throw the person out and you get in and pretty much he/she does not care. They just walk away like they were taking a stroll.

It's things like this generally. I really cannot understand how it is possible to allow these things to go live.

@JFarrell71; :lol:
anyway, the game is huge, after the whole city opened, i stopped the story and did all police stuff/gigs/side jobs (i think there are over 200?), cleaned the map, now im on the story again but still get phones from fixers and other chars with cool side quests
like others said, plenty of glitches, but serious bugs? no; most annoying, sometimes the car doesnt start so i have to get out and get in again lol

Like for example the crime system, which there is none to be honest. If you do something police officers or bots appear out of nowhere and attacks. If you kill them all then you're fine, just walk away no repercussions.

Or when you steal a car, you just throw the person out and you get in and pretty much he/she does not care. They just walk away like they were taking a stroll.

Teleporting trashmobs in is nothing new. You do have a point where CP spawns them onto your nose instead of some distance. That should and can be fixed.
At least in this game there is no need for stupid GTA/WD driving all around town to escape but one can kill the posse and be done with it.

Carjacking should have been completely disabled in this game. I have no idea why is that idiocy even a thing in CP. I mean, you get a car park with dozens of different cars and bikes that you can summon on a whim.
Oh, but no, megalomanic V wants to drive only what belongs to others? Bah.

I agree with this but for me it's not just the bugs but some of the design decisions.

It's things like this generally. I really cannot understand how it is possible to allow these things to go live.

Oh there are definitely some design decisions that don't sit well with me. Thing is, a lot of those could still be tweaked or outright changed through patches. It just depends how much time and effort CDPR wants to put into it and of course whether or not they even feel like anything should be changed.

I agree about the things you mention, but, to me, the way loot was distributed is just as immersion breaking if not more. I mean, you can find high-level weapons in backpacks that are just laying in random alleys or on rooftops. It makes no sense. Weapons should really only be on enemies and in places where you would logically find them. i.e. a weapons locker, stashed in a gang hideout, etc.

Also, it's too easy to get XP from, and level up, some skills compared to others. For example, why do I get XP from simply using quickhacks on random things? When I use the 'Distract Enemy' quickhack on something, I shouldn't be gifted XP unless it actually distracts an enemy.

I just finished the game. It is very pretty, and the voice acting is superb. It's also buggy, though no bugs I found were gamebreaking. Once I got stuck in scenario, and once my car went flying into the sky, in both instances I actually lost some progress, but nothing nearly as bad as Wasteland 3, for example. For me, it was worth playing, though once again I regret not waiting for more polish.

What I liked less is the general quest design and AI. AI is really, really bad. It manages to break most of the immersion you gain by playing cutscenes and story content. The quest design is bland and generic. Basically go to (?) and kill some generic mobs that drop some generic guns. Some of the weapons are more fun than others, and talent trees feel kind of lackluster, but I found the perk progression through actually using related skills to be a nice thing.

The game is also sexually loaded, both implicit and explicitly, which honestly, year 2020, it's not a bad thing, but makes me wish they had found a stronger selling point in the quality of the RPG than its sexual forwardness. The game is aimed to the target audience it is, and if it sells, it sells. Nothing to blame them for here.

All in all, 8/10 is fair-ish, potentially a bit higher if it gets polished, but I feel the game lacks the fundamental quality as a RPG to be a memorable masterpiece.

Last edited:
Most of the bugs I'm having would be considered minor. It's how often they occur that's annoying.
You're right.
annoyance = bug frequency * bug severity

You're right.
annoyance = bug frequency * bug severity
I doubt it's the right formula.

Game breaking bug forcing give up ever finish the game or load an old save are a lot more annoying, and one can be enough to throw in trash the game. In practice, some players won't do it, and many will never have the game-breaking bug.

A forced computer restart is also a lot more annoying, they break a game session, the effect seems absurdly wide, and makes the product look like made by amateurs then make feel it a lot worse than it is really.

Game forced restart is also brutal hence rather negative, and then its negative impact relies a lot on frequency.

There are bugs you can manage, if you don't throw the game into the trash, you get more and more used to manage them or at least ignore them, then the frequency isn't the point, more the real effects on gameplay. The visual/sound bugs postulate to a similar formula, if you learn to accept them, they become part of the gameplay, and then the frequency isn't a point. I gave myself a good example of that. When MEA was release with facial synch problems with voice acting, I played the game a while and started to enjoy it more and more play for once the main hero handicapped, probably with some mental handicap but still a smart one. I even started thinking she was a provocative rebel playing with social relationships. When I learned it was bugged and it broke all the charm I had acquired by learning and practicing.

The list is long and for many bug types, annoyance <> bug frequency * bug severity.

But ok for Yahoo generations, annoyance = bug frequency * bug severity.

I am 42 hours into Cyberpunk 2077 and just 9% through the main story (according to the stats indicated by the Gog Galaxy overlay), and I am having a lot of fun with it. It is too early for me to say whether or not this is a great game, but it is at least a very good game.

I have encountered two pretty bad bugs in which quests were stuck, but in both cases I was able to load an earlier save from 15-30 minutes earlier to resolve the issues.

I won't argue that this isn't true. There's no crime system, and the A.I. in general is lacking.

However, I do wonder if the emphasis being put on this by players is a byproduct of the GTA comparisons, because RPGs in general do not have good crime systems either. Either nothing happens when you commit crimes, or the entire city you're in aggros through telepathy. Skyrim, Fallout, Outer Worlds, none of these games have even decent crime systems. GTA is built around crime and car chases and whatnot, and yeah, it's better at modeling police. But Cyperpunk 2077 is not GTA. Maybe everyone will believe that now. ;)

I haven't tried stealing any cars. I'm kind of surprised there's no reaction because when you drive into cars, there is one. That seems like a weird oversight.

Back
Top Bottom