Age of Fear 4 - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy RPG series Age of Fear got a new entry:

Age of Fear 4: The Iron Killer

In the years following the conclusion of AGE OF FEAR 3: THE LEGEND, a surging tide of criminal activity has thrown the realm into disarray. The rival gangs of the Iron Five have risen to prominence, leaving little in the way of peace or security in King William's lands. It's in this climate that the recently-graduated Vampire Hunter Angela embarks on a quest into corruption and murder after her inaugural hunt takes an unexpected turn. Along with her companion Nazell, Angela will go head-to-head with the criminality that threatens to sink the realm into its deepest Age of Fear!
More information.

been playing it, lots of fun. :) If u guys have any questions just ask. Also doing a youtube giveaway of the Storm Mountain DLC! :party: Cheers!

This has very similar graphics and sound/spell effects to Knights of the Chalice 2. I didn't see much in the way of individual complexity to the combat though, or much in the way of character sheets.

Looks fun though.

good turn-based series w/ a lot of heart, and some pretty funny dialogue.

The Age of Fear games have a good sense of humor. It neither takes itself too grimdark seriously, nor goes overboard w/ obnoxious, cringey fantasy parody.

This has very similar graphics and sound/spell effects to Knights of the Chalice 2. I didn't see much in the way of individual complexity to the combat though, or much in the way of character sheets.

Looks fun though.

Complexity *abounds* in this game. It is programmed by a Doctor of Artificial Intelligence, the AI is extremely smart and the game plays as chess in that every piece is valuable and must be countered with a proper strategy. It has deep unit progression for the over 400+ units, several unique factions, deep loot and progression for Hero units and much, much more. U guys really need to play it if you're at all interested in the genre, because frankly it's the best strategy RPG i've ever played! :)

But yes, it has tons of complexity, the developer even shows me how he mathematically balances the game and such. It's super good stuff here, much more than meets the eye.

Edit - And I mean this for the whole series. Les, the developer, backports all the newest features from the new games to the old games as well, so you can play any game in the series and be feature updated. Just pick a game where the campaigns are factions u like, and you'll be all set. :)

Last edited:
Complexity *abounds* in this game. It is programmed by a Doctor of Artificial Intelligence, the AI is extremely smart and the game plays as chess in that every piece is valuable and must be countered with a proper strategy. It has deep unit progression for the over 400+ units, several unique factions, deep loot and progression for Hero units and much, much more. U guys really need to play it if you're at all interested in the genre, because frankly it's the best strategy RPG i've ever played! :)

But yes, it has tons of complexity, the developer even shows me how he mathematically balances the game and such. It's super good stuff here, much more than meets the eye.

Edit - And I mean this for the whole series. Les, the developer, backports all the newest features from the new games to the old games as well, so you can play any game in the series and be feature updated. Just pick a game where the campaigns are factions u like, and you'll be all set. :)

Where would you suggest we start?

Where would you suggest we start?

The nice thing about the series is that as I mentioned - all games are updated with the latest features, in time. So, to start, find one of them where u enjoy the 2 factions that the game features. All the factions appear in all the games, but the playable campaigns, of which there are 2 in each game, will be who u play as. The campaigns are totally different storylines for each campaign, and u can pick one that u just enjoy. For ease of selecting i will outline the 2 factions of each game here.

Age of Fear: The Undead King - ORIGINAL, untouched game here! This does not feature the latest features being backported. It is original as originally made. 2 factions - Humans & Undead.

Age of Fear: The Undead King GOLD - has the newest features. Same factions.

Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lords - Greenskins & Demons

Age of Fear 3: The Legend - Forest Folk & Dwarves

Age of Fear 4: The Iron Killer - Sea People & Open world Sea People

So there u go, just pick a game where u like the factions and enjoy! :) If u have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.

The nice thing about the series is that as I mentioned - all games are updated with the latest features, in time. So, to start, find one of them where u enjoy the 2 factions that the game features. All the factions appear in all the games, but the playable campaigns, of which there are 2 in each game, will be who u play as. The campaigns are totally different storylines for each campaign, and u can pick one that u just enjoy. For ease of selecting i will outline the 2 factions of each game here.

Age of Fear: The Undead King - ORIGINAL, untouched game here! This does not feature the latest features being backported. It is original as originally made. 2 factions - Humans & Undead.

Age of Fear: The Undead King GOLD - has the newest features. Same factions.

Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lords - Greenskins & Demons

Age of Fear 3: The Legend - Forest Folk & Dwarves

Age of Fear 4: The Iron Killer - Sea People & Open world Sea People

So there u go, just pick a game where u like the factions and enjoy! :) If u have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.

What about the addons in undead king gold

What about the addons in undead king gold

Tbh I'm not sure, I haven't played those yet! I did grab em, since I usually grab all DLC for a game when I first get it. I think one of the expansions adds a pirate faction, not sure about the other. Ship battles are cool! Watch out for sea sickness. :)

I went to buy one to try it out, but unfortunately its not for sale on GoG.

Is there a particular reason for this that relates to quality?

i'd have to ask Les about that. i'll get back to u with an answer. :)

edit - Les says they are very picky. He's tried 3 times. I'm going to email GOG tomorrow and talk to them about it. Maybe it would help to hear from a big fan of the series.

It's on sale for half off on steam now.

a further note on complexity:

By default, only "hero" characters can use items. In options, you can enable "let all units use items" (im paraphrasing, but it's in there). This makes a drastic difference in gameplay, I've found.

So basically, the game gives you the choice to worry about loot or not, and depending on how seriously you take it, how the game will play. It's worth noting that loot is not as plentiful as some games - you'll find a sword, piece of armor, or item here and there, but it's not "loot overload" like some games that just drown you in it.

Are you tired of the "traveling equipment outfitter/salesman" feeling of lugging around a ton of loot, and constantly shuffling around equipment between your crew? Then leave it as default, and you'll just be equipping your main heroes. Sell the rest. The game will be a bit more challenging, as well.

Personally, I like to equip all units that i want to. Not everybody, but I do have my favorite units (they are all named), and I tend to favor them with good equipment. I just like kitting out my crew too much to forego that aspect of the game, and truthfully - I play for fun. I dont always make the best tactical decisions, so it gives me a little bit of an edge in fights as well.

nice, @xSamhainx; ! There is no "right" way to play, it's all up to how u have fun. But yes there is an option to equip all party members. Just keep in mind that this will unbalance your game in your favor, as the default balancing and difficulty options are weighed with only Hero units equipping loot. Generally per campaign u get 2 or 3 Hero units, by the way. Sometimes they are DLC addons and so on. They are really powerful and u can say overpowered in some cases, but still do not make fights a pushover. They are very fun to use, though. :)

It's on sale for half off on steam now.

Yes, its availability on Steam is something I'm aware of due to the fact that I have the internet. However, GoG offers an option that Steam does not, hence why some people are only interested in GoG purchases for some titles.

Are you tired of the "traveling equipment outfitter/salesman" feeling of lugging around a ton of loot, and constantly shuffling around equipment between your crew?

No, can't say I ever got tired of that. I've always found that a very enjoyable aspect of RPGs.

Yes, its availability on Steam is something I'm aware of due to the fact that I have the internet. However, GoG offers an option that Steam does not, hence why some people are only interested in GoG purchases for some titles.

Sorry wasn't aware if you knew about the sale...

Sorry wasn't aware if you knew about the sale…

If you enter code FNDDGAMING on Curry's website they'll send you your PlayStation 5 by next day delivery free of charge!

So, played the first couple of missions, pretty easy but expected for a tutorial...like the idea of looking for hidden chests etc.

If you enter code FNDDGAMING on Curry's website they'll send you your PlayStation 5 by next day delivery free of charge!

Sigh, not sure why you are acting like this.

Back
Top Bottom