Firaxis - Working on a Turn-Based Marvel Game

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on a rumour that Firaxis is working on a turn-based game using Marvel licensed characters.

According to the leak, this Marvel game is codenamed CODA and will be XCOM with Marvel heroes. Moreover, it seems that some famous actors will be voicing the characters.

We expect 2K Games to officially reveal this game at E3 2021, next week.
More information.

Ugh… why? I'd much rather have another sequel to XCOM.

I don't like Marvel comics, characters, story or style. So I guess this will be a skip.But good for the fans.

Despite being a comics collector, I have skipped every single comicbook related game ever released with two exceptions: Freedom Force and the Spider-Man from a couple of years ago. But this game interests me. I think an X-Com style game using superhero characters could be a lot of fun.

Posted this yesterday on my news-thread. I'm stoked and hope it succeeds. Sure I'd love another X-Com, but the only other F2P Marvel game on the market right now is crap.

I don't like Marvel comics, characters, story or style. So I guess this will be a skip.But good for the fans.

I used to love Marvel, but that was before we were constantly bludgeoned over the head with superhero stuff for the past decade.

I don't like XCom because of their simplified combat system.
However this system works much better in melee combat. So if the marvel game in then very melee centric it could get interesting.

I'd take Alpha Centauri instead of marvel :)

It would have be be based on characters from the Marvel universe circa 1950-1995 for me to be interested. The current Marvel isn't for me at all, as I've learned the hard way over the past two decades.

Same here, never been into super heroes. I guess it's gonna be a while before we get another XCOM then :(

Well...an official one maybe.
But there is Xenonauts 2 and Extraterrestrials 2 in development :)

Well…an official one maybe.
But there is Xenonauts 2 and Extraterrestrials 2 in development.

Not the same developer. Also both are different takes on the formula.:p

In that case you need to play Phoenix Point, still some DLCs to be released.
Already did found it to be bland, buggy, and incomplete.

Maybe I'll replay it in another year when all the DLC is released.

I want that to be good so badly, but everyone seems to hate it, even to this day.

Ah, I actually like it quite a lot. I can't disagree with Couch though in terms of waiting for all DLCs to be released being a good thing.

I hardly had any bugs so far (I have been playing since steam release) and the game is quite polished, it also doesnt feel incomplete.

That said, its not perfect and it has some issues which I see more in terms of balancing and game mechanics. I think more "casual" players probably wont mind lots of these, but I do.

-You can freely load and save and you cannot limit that. Meaning you can "cheat" through lots of missions, by exploring and reloading if you wanted to. You basically need to restrict yourself
-You can restart a mission and have it be newly generated. I am personally using that "workaround" to saving and loading. If I die, I restart the mission instead to not "cheat" and know all enemy positions. However generating a new map can give you vastly different enemies. A mission which was quite difficult before can be super easy now
-Trading is too powerful in the game. Trading isn't fun, you just fly from a to b to c to d. It's not fun, but takes some time.
-You are touring the world with about 3-4 teams of soldiers. Traveling takes time. Sending equipment doesnt. So you just create one set of equipment and each time you unequip everything and re-equip it on another team. That makes no logical sense, and even worse, the interface for character and inventory management is lacking. It's not horrible, but its bad.

Furthermore the new DLCs will not be implemented in a running game. So you would need to start over.
And with that I would already recommend the game now because its good. But if you have other stuff to play right now, then better wait till everything is released and buy it together in a bundle and get the full experience.

I'm not into the superhero thing that much either and it doesn't help that most related games are in styles I don't like or are mediocre.

The idea of Firaxis doing an XCOM superhero variant actually sounds really good to me. I think it's an ideal genre for it. Mix in some initiative like in Chimera or Solasta and it's even better.

I love XCOM and especially XCOM2, but there isn't a whole lot more they can do with that other than rehash it, which is fine - but can wait a few more years.

A new AC done right would be cool but the chances of it being "done right" seem very low.

The superhero things seems like a great way to do more tactical TBS without running XCOM into the ground.

Plus, if they let you build/edit your own heros then you can get your whole city of heroes on as well.

And with that I would already recommend the game now because its good. But if you have other stuff to play right now, then better wait till everything is released and buy it together in a bundle and get the full experience.

I really appreciate all the info! I think it's still currently 50% on Epic so I may pull the trigger. But I do have recent stuff to play, so I may wait but pick it up the next time it's on sale on Steam.

I really appreciate all the info! I think it's still currently 50% on Epic so I may pull the trigger. But I do have recent stuff to play, so I may wait but pick it up the next time it's on sale on Steam.

Yeah, better wait. I mean the DLCs aren't expensive, but they will bring additional costs. And I am pretty sure that after they are all released, there will be something like a GOTY bundle.

Back
Top Bottom