Might & Magic X - Removed from Sale

Between having most of my games via great old games, I've a few hundred of my favorite books on the shelves, and plenty of physical versions of films/television shows. If watching things online/purchasing the same way goes absent like the dinosaurs, at least I've a few back-ups. Physical media is king.

Apparently the DRM was done by some other company that Ubisoft have now parted with. Corporate decision making dictates a cost benefit analysis and a niche single player RPG doesn't fit the bill so no-one does anything about it.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a calculation behind it, but TBH I don't care much about the specific reasons. At the end of the day, their business is to sell their customers computer games, and if they involved some third party to do the online DRM, I think it was still Ubisoft's responsibility to make sure the DRM could be switched off at the time they retired the activation servers. I think it really does show contempt to their customers, and a decent company would sort that out, even if it incurred a small expense.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a calculation behind it, but TBH I don't care much about the specific reasons. At the end of the day, their business is to sell their customers computer games, and if they involved some third party to do the online DRM, I think it was still Ubisoft's responsibility to make sure the DRM could be switched off at the time they retired the activation servers. I think it really does show contempt to their customers, and a decent company would sort that out, even if it incurred a small expense.

I like and agree w/ your statement but I mean.. its Ubisoft.

If they really liked their customers they wouldn't force their own launcher + steam launcher + extra DRM on everything. :)

Yeah I agree but calling out corporate decisions means calling out corporate reasoning. They hate with a passion bad PR as its bad for the bottom line.

Whilst you're welcome to your opinion fatknacker50, MMX was reasonably well liked. It wasn't the pinnacle of the series, but it was far from the worst. I know that as an M&M fan, I was looking foward to a reply in due course.

The main flaws as I saw them in MMX were…

1) Four characters didn't give enough room to experiment with all the combinations. Six would have been nicer.

2) The world could have done with being about 25% larger.

3) Could have used more links to older M&M games

4) It needed a way to respawn monsters somehow - the world got progressively more empty as you explored, and once you'd traveled around getting the best gear, there were no enemies to use it on!

5) Minor - modding was theoretically possible, but required an expensive devkit. Fail.

6) As we've discovered, DRM :(

7) Graphics driver issues with modern drivers/gpus, although these aren't fatal.

Just for your info, @fatknacker50;, followed the game in Early access, just like I did, and I think he may have purchased as I did. Originally the development team promised the game would work on 32 bit systems, then shortly before release said, no it would only work on 64 bit systems. Since then as old dwarves do, fatnacker has carried a grudge against the game, Ubisoft and Limbic, that will probably continue on to his last breath. I'm not sure if he ever actually played the game.

If Steam users have found a work around and hackers a crack, I find it hard to believe that it would cost so much to simply remove the DRM for users.

Just for your info, @fatknacker50;, followed the game in Early access, just like I did, and I think he may have purchased as I did. Originally the development team promised the game would work on 32 bit systems, then shortly before release said, no it would only work on 64 bit systems. Since then as old dwarves do, fatnacker has carried a grudge against the game, Ubisoft and Limbic, that will probably continue on to his last breath. I'm not sure if he ever actually played the game.

I tried too, but my enthusiasm had disappeared by then.

Your post eloquently covers a dark point in my RPG life :(

Limbic, ""To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." :p

UPDATE 7TH JULY 2021: Ubisoft is "currently investigating all available options" after delisting Might & Magic 10: Legacy.

Translation = After considerable public backlash, they realize they need to do something from a PR standpoint.

On a side note, it's sad that users are now review-bombing the game over their anger at Ubisoft.

I found this a surprisingly enjoyable game couple years ago. Got as far as 15%-20% in the story, but found the fonts way too small, it fatigued my eyes. :(

On a side note, it's sad that users are now review-bombing the game over their anger at Ubisoft.
I did it. What can you say in a review about a game that just does not work (except for act I)?

In my review, I am not speaking of the game it was nor of the game it should be; I am speaking of the game it is.

I played this game twice since 2014. I intended to play it a third and last time, this time with the DLC (that I bought). Of course, it will most probably never happen.

I did it. What can you say in a review about a game that just does not work (except for act I)?

In my review, I am not speaking of the game it was nor of the game it should be; I am speaking of the game it is.

Problem is that such justice warrior review bombs often misfire.

You'd think that Ubi would be harmed because of the review bomb, but actually no.
It is the innocent developer who will be harmed big time.

Imagine: the developer tries to secure a new job, and the would-be publisher asks: What was your previous major release?
The dev replies: Might and Magic X, sir. It was a honest attempt to revive a major franchise from the past and we think . . .
The would-be publisher disses the dev and runs a quick check on steam . . .
. . . and finds the game reception is beyond butt level.
. . . so the would-be publisher says: No thank you. We want a reliable developer.

So our tale ends on a sour note: the dev goes out of business, thanks to the careless "we'll set it right" attitude review bombing.

Remember: social activism is a great power, but with great power comes great responsibility (or something like that).

Yep.

Steam should make it possible to give reviews on publishers. ;)

[SNIP]

Remember: social activism is a great power, but with great power comes great responsibility (or something like that).

As someone who actually hires developers, I can say that this scenario should be a giant pile of crap. If any interview ever goes this way, the developer should not want to work for the company.

Actual developer hires are not based on release of software from a major publisher. I know everyone loves a 'protect the little guy' story, but this just does not happen. Sorry.

As someone who actually hires developers, I can say that this scenario should be a giant pile of crap. If any interview ever goes this way, the developer should not want to work for the company.

Actual developer hires are not based on release of software from a major publisher. I know everyone loves a 'protect the little guy' story, but this just does not happen. Sorry.

Obviously, horses for courses.
Happened with my biz partners a few times, sorry. They were pre-evaluated either by a major publisher by Steam reception average or by Metacritic score average.

Good to hear that your business practice does not use this technique.

Obviously, horses for courses.
Happened with my biz partners a few times, sorry. They were pre-evaluated either by a major publisher by Steam reception average or by Metacritic score average.

Good to hear that your business practice does not use this technique.

I'd warrant theres more to your biz partners story or you are not getting the full picture from them. Nobody passes on talent without a reason.

You hire a developer for skill, leadership ability, problem solving ability etc. You do not hire them for the reception of a finished product that is largely outside their control.

Games don't often fail on technical reasons. They fail for creative, implementation, meta, or social reasons. Even bug ridden messes (no comment on which publisher I'm referring to) don't cause games to fail. Its very very rare that an actual developer has control over release dates, creative direction, or even content direction in a large degree.

Now if your biz partner was the creative director (not developer) or project manager (not developer) or lead implementation manager (not developer) or even primary writer (not developer)…. sure… check the releases they were responsible for and evaluate that as a factor (but not sole determining factor)

One other thing - The software industry can be very political after a certain level of skill is achieved. If someone is terrible to work with or gets a bad reputation (deserved or not) at one publisher, they will carry that with them for a long time. Regardless of legal interview process and reference checks, developers talk like schoolchildren and often forget to make allowances for people that grow and develop between jobs.

@duerer;

Side note : if I'm completely wrong and someone did use this as their only metric to not hire your friend, I'm sorry they had that experience but I'm very glad they didn't end up working there.
A company that would do that during hiring means it likely runs a lot more shit under the covers that would be worse. Lucky him he didn't get hired.

You'd think that Ubi would be harmed because of the review bomb, but actually no.
It is the innocent developer who will be harmed big time.
I reviewed the game, which has become unplayable, not the developers. If they are hit by the reviews -which I doubt- then it is the fault of Ubisoft, not the fault of the angry players/reviewers.

Also, there is at least one developer that is everything but innocent: the one who implemented the DRM. ;)

BTW, I am myself a developer in the game industry (but not in competition with Ubisoft). I am glad that I never had to participate such a scam. That a game is too old and cannot run on modern computers, I can understand. But that a company deliberately makes a game unplayable is not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom