The TV Series discussion thread

We watched Heksenjagt (Witch Hunt), a Norwegian show about an office manager who discovers that the law firm she is working for is laundering money for a person with great wealth and who has a lot of people in his pocket, which shows throughout the episodes. It was OK in my opinion, but I found the lead character to be very naive. Obviously this allowed everything to go wrong for her, after she tried to report the laundering. But it was annoying to me.
With that setting the ending was unexpected. I guess they had to end it in some positive note. I would rate it a 6/10

What also was annoying was that now that I have been spending more than a year on Duolingo learning Norwegian, And I couldn't understand most of what was being said.
I got quite a few words, a sentence here and there, but they simply talked to fast for me and used words I have yet to learn. Perhaps I should watch a Norwegian kiddy show next :)

Mr Robot is a bit special, it starts very geek then develops quite a lot into a bigger plot, I liked it a lot. Now that it's fully on Prime, I may watch it again soon :)

Has anyone noticed the titles of season 4? Just to give an idea ;)

What also was annoying was that now that I have been spending more than a year on Duolingo learning Norwegian, And I couldn't understand most of what was being said.
I got quite a few words, a sentence here and there, but they simply talked to fast for me and used words I have yet to learn. Perhaps I should watch a Norwegian kiddy show next :)
That's often the case when learning another language, people talking naturally are very hard to understand, and usually they don't speak well nor correctly.

What is it like, as a language? Does it share similarities with Dutch like Swedish and Danish?

What is it like, as a language? Does it share similarities with Dutch like Swedish and Danish?

It's a bit between Swedish and Danish. Some say that while Swedes and Danes dmay have problems understanding each other, we Norwegians understand both.

an incarnation of pibbur who may be wrong about how Norwegians, Danes and Swedes understand each other.

PS. Myrthos: I'll see if I can find something to recommend. Where did you find Heksejakt (with a 'k', not 'g')? DS.

Yes it shares similarities. It uses similar constructions of sentences in the way that it places words in the same order, whereas in English words are sometimes differently ordered. As there is no Norwegian-Dutch version I use the Norwegian-English version and have to remember to first think of how I would write it in Dutch and then write it in Norwegian to make sure the words are in the right order.
Besides that there is also a similarity in words, but they also share words with German. But the there are also words that I cannot relate to anything. Why Germany is called Tyskland for example is a mystery to me.

PS. Myrthos: I'll see if I can find something to recommend. Where did you find Heksejakt (with a 'k', not 'g')? DS.
Right it is with a 'k'. Let's blame it on the spelling correction of my iPad :)
I found it on the streaming channel of our national Dutch broadcasting organization. It has quite a number of Scandinavian shows. They aired it in January and stream it as well, for those who pay for it. That happens with everything that is being broadcasted on Dutch television, although only the last seasons.
These shows obviously all have Dutch subtitles.

..Why Germany is called Tyskland for example is a mystery to me.

I'm quite sure that "tysk" is norwegianization of "Deutsch". According to my sources a loooong time ago, the germanic word for "Deutsch" was "tiutsch".

And land is land (nation). You probably knew that.

an incarnation of "pibbur" who derives from the Norwegian postal services.

PS. What's the Dutch word for Germany? DS

Dutch, Tysk, Deutsch, Duits, Thiota, Diota is all the same and just means "people".

Myrthos: 5 TV Shows You Can Stream To Help You Learn Norwegian (https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/norwegian-tv-shows)

An incarnation of pibbur who actually hasn't seen any of them.
The only Norwegian show I still remember as too good to be true is Hellfjord.
Noone in it is normal, but in a way not normal compared to USA/India/SouthKorea production (currently three strongest cinematographies). A bunch of unique characters not normally seen on screen, at least not in the same place.
The only bad thing are too amateurish fight scenes, but this is not a huge budget show and it's easy to forgive those scenes as it's the people that matter.

Apparently the new show Welcome to Utmark follows similar style where people are super weird cinemawise, but the story is different from Hellfjord. Sadly I still didn't find time for it.

Can these help in learning the language… I really doubt it.
Instead I'd go for movies and you hopefully know which norwegian movies are mustwatch. There aren't many.
Hmmm, lemme finish something then I'll post those in the movies thread.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed the titles of season 4? Just to give an idea ;)

The fact that they're HTTP response codes? Or do you mean something else?

I also watched El Camino (even though it's technically a movie, it's too tied to the tv series to be considered a movie imo). Pretty cool. Gives a nice wrap up and end to Jesse's journey.

The only distracting thing is that at least two of the actors, Aaron Paul and Jesse Plemons, have really gained weight between the end of Breaking Bad and when they filmed this one. So you've got flashback scenes where Jesse and Todd are both a lot chubbier, and Todd in particular a lot older looking.

But heck, even without the flashback scenes, Jesse is supposed to have just escaped from his captors, where he was malnourished, and yet he's nice and fat.

Anyway, it's not something significant. But I did catch myself noticing that quite a few times.

If I'm not mistaken, precisely fourteen years ago, Mad Men debuted on AMC. I recall watching that first episode, and realizing that I likely had a new show to enjoy, and at that time there weren't very many. Little did I know just how fond I'd become of the series, and just how great it all was! The stories (let's face it, without a great tale to tell, you've nothing), compelling characters, excellent score when they did use music, awesome guests, it practically had it all.

Oh that's a great series! Yeah, 14 years already. Mad Men is very atmospheric, it's the perfect series for people who like to observe and discover the dynamics of a group of people, how they interact, how they evolve, what are the established social differences.

I was struck mainly by two facts, how much those guys could drink at work, and how women had to struggle if they tried to do something else than work at home waiting for their husband. Different times.

How did you like the last season, and the ending?

The stories (let's face it, without a great tale to tell, you've nothing), compelling characters, excellent score when they did use music, awesome guests, it practically had it all.

Haha, nice, if strained, callback to a conversation in another thread.

There is zero story in Mad Men that does not derive from and directly involve the characters. It is 1000% character driven storytelling. So probably not the best chance for you to try to drive in a nail on your own argument.

The only distracting thing is that at least two of the actors, Aaron Paul and Jesse Plemons, have really gained weight between the end of Breaking Bad and when they filmed this one. So you've got flashback scenes where Jesse and Todd are both a lot chubbier, and Todd in particular a lot older looking.

Yeah, I was like "wtf?" when I saw them, especially Plemmons. Can you believe that guy is married to Kirsten Dunst?

They waited way too long to make that movie. It should have been done shortly after the series ended.

I quite enjoy Plemmons as an actor, his stint on Fargo was memorable, to say the least. And boy, did he marry up, I'd no idea that was his Mrs!!! I say that only based on physicality, perhaps he's a mind or persona that's beyond exceptional, on that I've no idea. Dunst is a quintessential peach, imo.

I quite enjoy Plemmons as an actor, his stint on Fargo was memorable, to say the least. And boy, did he marry up, I'd no idea that was his Mrs!!! I say that only based on physicality, perhaps he's a mind or persona that's beyond exceptional, on that I've no idea. Dunst is a quintessential peach, imo.

Plemons was also in the awesome I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I was surprised to see him in Breaking Bad.

Another actor I was surprised to see was Robert Foster. He's always a pleasure to see. He also had a great showing in Twin Peaks: The Return.

Good lord aye, Robert Forster is incredible. I think the very first role I saw him in was during Police Story, then of course in the Black Hole. He's one of those actors that elevates whatever he appears in.

Back
Top Bottom