Phoenix Point - New Soldier Type: Mutoid in DLC 4

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
There will be a new soldier type in the upcoming DLC for Phoenix Point called The Mutoid.

NEW SOLDIER TYPE INCOMING IN DLC 4: THE MUTOID

A cry for help kicks off DLC 4: Corrupted Horizons, which introduces the Acheron support enemy and its deadly Corruption effect that will change the way you play Phoenix Point... but all is not lost for humanity. To help counter the threat of this new foe, Phoenix is able to leverage a new beneficial experiment, a human-Pandoran hybrid soldier: THE MUTOID.

Mutoid+aiming.jpg

Mutoids are a new soldier type that will help turn the tide against the Pandoran menace. Grown by Phoenix, Mutoids soldiers are unique in that they are created entirely out of Mutagens and their abilities can be acquired from any class known to the player. This adds considerable flexibility in how the player develops their soldiers, allowing them to combine existing abilities in new and exciting ways.

Due to its hybrid nature, the Mutoid can adopt certain Pandoran abilities as well, such as the Siren's acid spit or a Scylla's immunity to mind control, among many others. Discovered via creature autopsies, players can mix and match these passive and active abilities from Arthrons, Tritons, Sirens, and even the Acheron itself to forge lethal operatives for the battlefield.

Mutoid+equipment.jpg

But with great power... comes some limitations. Mutoids can only select a single human and Pandoran skill at each level, hit a max rank earlier than human operatives, and require Mutagen resources in order to heal and grow in power with new abilities. And the more Mutagens you spend on your Mutoids, the less you'll have for other soldier mutations, 'breeding' Mutog war beasts or fighting back against the new game mechanic in DLC 4, Corruption.

Corruption is a new state that affects soldiers when encountering the Acheron or engaging in battles within the Mist. Its initial effects appear somewhat benign, slowly impacting the maximum willpower of a soldier while offering a small damage boost in trade, but as more encounters or attacks stack up, one can find themselves with operatives unable to properly use their abilities or even keep their sanity together in the field. Thankfully, players can leverage those precious Mutagens to temporarily cure their soldier's Corrupted status, while working their way through the core DLC story for more permanent eradication of its source. This is where the Mutoid shines as its genetic make-up makes it inherently immune to Corruption, encouraging players to mix up their squads to best counter this new condition.

These new challenges and opportunities await all players when Corrupted Horizons arrives on October 1st on PC for $4.99 or included within the console Behemoth Edition arriving on PlayStation and Xbox that same day.
More information.

So how many DLC's, Updates, and game editions have been released now?

So how many DLC's, Updates, and game editions have been released now?

-Living Weapons (included in Year One Version)
-Blood and Titanium (included in Year One Version)
-Legacy of the Ancients (included in Year One Version)

-Festering Skies (released) (included in Season pass)

To Be Released
-Corrupted Horizons (included in Season pass)
-Chaos Engines (included in Season pass)

Considering that the main game is at 34€ (including the one half of DLCs) and the Season pass (including all the others) only costs 12.50€, the pricing at this point is quite fair.

However, the DLCs change gameplay from the start and so you need to select at the start of the game which DLCs you are going to activate. And this means you cannot retroactively include a new DLCs - you would need to start a new game.
So if you intend to only play once, it might be best, until the final 2 DLCs have been released (last is scheduled for Winter 2021)

I still plan to play this one day, when it is fully complete, and sold in a single cheap bundle.

However, the DLCs change gameplay from the start and so you need to select at the start of the game which DLCs you are going to activate. And this means you cannot retroactively include a new DLCs - you would need to start a new game.
So if you intend to only play once, it might be best, until the final 2 DLCs have been released (last is scheduled for Winter 2021)
Price isn't a factor I'm waiting for the complete and patched version to play. It just seems this game is never finished after almost three years and the anniversary edition.

I played it on release with the epic store and didn't enjoy it.:(

I, too, played it when it came out (on GamePass) and was completely underwhelmed. Maybe the worst thing I can say about a game but it was... boring.

I could see myself picking it up on a deep discount at some point in the future and trying it again but I'm skeptical. Fool me once.

It is very obvious now that the excellent developers of XCOM: UFO Defense are sorely missed. Only the amazing original team could have developed a true successor. This thing is not.. :(

Hrm, I am playing it since the steam release and I am enjoying it quite a lot.

The only things which annoy me are things that "normal people" wouldn't even care about.
Like that you can save in combat.
Or that items dont need to be shipped, therefore can be equipped everywhere and therefore to save resources should be equipped everywhere (instead of giving each team individual items).
But everything regarding the tactical gameplay is pretty great.

I have enjoyed what I have played....I also got it on discount so it wasn't so bad.

Lots of dlc though wow.

I like it now. I tried it on release and found it flat, confusing and frustratingly difficult even on easy mode. I had a quick glance about a month ago and got totally absorbed until Encased appeared.

I feel the story telling lacks finesse. In X-com I always have a "man in the red shirt" on my team but in PP the whole squad are just cannon fodder, with little consequence if I lose one, can easily quickly level/train up another one. The little dudes can level up just sitting in the base doing nothing.

Having to restart from scratch to play dlc is annoying so I probably won't for a while. I haven't finished PP as the doomsday clock keeps beating me. I wish that one aspect could be turned off.

Do you need to start again to have these new enemies or do they just come into the campaign?

I like it now. I tried it on release and found it flat, confusing and frustratingly difficult even on easy mode. I had a quick glance about a month ago and got totally absorbed until Encased appeared.

I feel the story telling lacks finesse. In X-com I always have a "man in the red shirt" on my team but in PP the whole squad are just cannon fodder, with little consequence if I lose one, can easily quickly level/train up another one. The little dudes can level up just sitting in the base doing nothing.

Having to restart from scratch to play dlc is annoying so I probably won't for a while. I haven't finished PP as the doomsday clock keeps beating me. I wish that one aspect could be turned off.

Glad to hear that the game is difficult, that is quite inviting to me, especially if the story/RPG can not carry the motivation on their own.

I think that makes it very very likely that I will pick it up when all the DLCs released and I can get a single playthrough without missing any content, which according to other posts in the thread, should be in just a couple months.

Glad to hear that the game is difficult, that is quite inviting to me, especially if the story/RPG can not carry the motivation on their own.

I think that makes it very very likely that I will pick it up when all the DLCs released and I can get a single playthrough without missing any content, which according to other posts in the thread, should be in just a couple months.

I think that if you enjoy hard difficulties you would need to play this on the harder or even hardest difficulties. I had tried this on whatever was called normal on release and the game wasn't hard (At least not at the start of the campaign) - except for one bomber unit that could eradicate your entire squad on turn 2 of an engagement from the other side of the map, which they have supposedly fixed now.

Back
Top Bottom