Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Patch 1.0.7c

For what is worth, I also think WotR is a 8/10 game that I was glad to play and finish, even as I had to battle through its numerous bugs.

I think the only reason I keep pointing out its flaws is because I can not deal with blind fanboyism, but it's not like me whining about it incessantly is going to change anything.

Also, @JFarrell71;, then you are lucky, or haven't finished the game. Your experience isn't shared by enough people that we could state that WotR was released in a broken state, and its many patches trying to fix game-breaking bugs and introducing new ones are there for all to see.

It wasn't isolated cases either, things like picking any of about half the available mythic paths, or respeccing your char after Act2, or romancing several of the romanceable NPCs caused the game to break completely. Very plain and generalistic choices that every player had to make, without actually going out of their way or using weird combinations.

Getting to the finish line without major problems is more a matter of luck than anything else.

The reason I don't see WotR with rose-tinted glasses is that its success comes mostly from the lack of competition.

No, their success come from the fact they dared to do an overly epic, complex, complete RPG while everyone else settle these days for much simpler games. The sheer quantity of options they offer is unbelievable and they are mostly successful with it. So yes, for these reasons alone, they will get the GOTY award from many.

As far as I'm concerned, bugs for me have just been some minor distraction. My main regret is that I haven't kickstarted the game, back then.

No, their success come from the fact they dared to do an overly epic, complex, complete RPG while everyone else settle these days for much simpler games. The sheer quantity of options they offer is unbelievable and they are mostly successful with it. So yes, for these reasons alone, they will get the GOTY award from many.

Well, if you are going to quote me saying "No, their success comes from…" then I must point out that I never called it a success, you totally made that up. The word is subjective and has different definitions to different people. To me it takes more to be successful, especially when you announced as the "BG successor". I feel that BG would rather have no descendants than having Pathfinder, but to each their own.

I only said that I don't see it with rose-tinted glasses because to me not because you made the right kind of game I am already swooning. You actually have to make it a great game, because I have certain standards.

I'm fine with you having your personal opinion about it, of course.

Well, if you are going to quote me saying "No, their success comes from…" then I must point out that I never called it a success, you totally made that up.

Well, read again what I quoted because you were the one who first used the word "success".

Well, read again what I quoted because you were the one who first used the word "success".

I did, but it was not the focus of the statement, and it was the attributed success that those people give it, not me.

The way you quoted it out of context made it sound as if it is accepted that the game is a success, which I clarified, just to be sure.

The reason I don't see D:OS & D:OS 2 with rose-tinted glasses is that their success comes mostly from the lack of competition.

The reason I don't see D:OS & D:OS 2 with rose-tinted glasses is that their success comes mostly from the lack of competition.

Hey, fair enough. Don't want to start another debate about the amount of sales that each game made, the average customer satisfaction and such, we're all a bit bored of that at this point.

If it means anything, I do think DOS benefitted from the lack of competition.

Hey, fair enough. Don't want to start another debate about the amount of sales that each game made, the average customer satisfaction and such, we're all a bit bored of that at this point.

I agree. Debating about things that have nothing to do with the statement would be boring indeed.

I agree. Debating about things that have nothing to do with the statement would be boring indeed.

Not as boring as bringing a game to a topic that has nothing to do with it, but we all know what you are here for. Thanks for playing anyway.

tenor.png

A little offtopic, but I didn't know where to post this. I just caught some streamer playing WotR for some competition that Owlcat is apparently hosting, and I'm trying to figure if Owlcat have jumped the shark with this one?

I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset/world, aside from knowing it's similar to D&D. But what I saw really was a bit offputting. The streamer was stroling around in some sci-fi setting (I think he mentioneed it's related to Numenera? are the two settings connected?) with his huge party which consisted, besides the human characters, of a fox dude and a huge triceratops pet. I mean, wtf. Is this all appropriate for the Pathfinder setting? :lol:

I think he was bringing logic to the conversation. Or at least he was trying to.

That's right, Redglyph, I think he needs help here. Care to translate what he means with his last post? Seems he's been hurting for my attention.

I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset/world, aside from knowing it's similar to D&D. But what I saw really was a bit offputting. The streamer was stroling around in some sci-fi setting (I think he mentioneed it's related to Numenera? are the two settings connected?) with his huge party which consisted, besides the human characters, of a fox dude and a huge triceratops pet. I mean, wtf. Is this all appropriate for the Pathfinder setting? :lol:

You probably heard him say "Numeria" not Numenera. It's one of the regions where the game takes place.

As far as the sci-fi setting you saw, there's apparenty a crashed spaceship you can explore. I'm sure others could elaborate further.

A little offtopic, but I didn't know where to post this. I just caught some streamer playing WotR for some competition that Owlcat is apparently hosting, and I'm trying to figure if Owlcat have jumped the shark with this one?

The Pathfinder setting is very diverse. Another, less kind way of putting it would be "kitchen sink". There are absolutely dinosaurs in that setting. In fact, my character in my P&P campaign summoned a T-Rex once. And there are fox dudes. They're called Kitsune, which is a thing borrowed IIRC from Japanese folklore. My own PC in the game is one. Again, not at all at odds with the broad fantasy that D&D and Pathfinder have long told stories with.

I don't know if it's what you're seeing, but there is one such setting I know of in WotR that is overtly sci-fi. That doesn't necessarily fit, but it doesn't bother me personally. In their wider universe, their sci-fi game Starfinder is set in the future of Golarian, their fantasy setting. So probably a nod to that to lightly tie the two together (and perhaps tease their next rumored game, which is said to be a Starfinder game)

Yes, it is.
It's not Numenera, but the nation of Numeria where they have access to advanced technology.
Triceratops and other dinosaurs are also part of Golarion (the world in Pathfinder). They btw. also exist in the Forgotten Realms.

And there are fox dudes. They're called Kitsune, which is a thing borrowed IIRC from Japanese folklore.

I'm always surprised how much influence Japan has in media and in games. I do not ever remember any kind of race being borrowed folklore from, let's say, Kenya or from Venezuela or from Nepal or from Egypt.
To me, that's a bias.

I'm always surprised how much influence Japan has in media and in games. I do not ever remember any kind of race being borrowed folklore from, let's say, Kenya or from Venezuela or from Nepal or from Egypt.
To me, that's a bias.

Part of it is probably because those particular Asian cultures have well-documented lore and history, as well as being very proficient in the gaming industry itself, spreading their folklore over other cultures.

Africa and South America don't have nearly the same extent of written history, nor are well known for making video games and influencing the industry with their folklore.

Though you do find a lot of references to the Egyptian culture, or pre-Colombus South American tribes and such. As I write this, I'm fighting tiki warriors that use blowdart weapons and spears against me in Diablo, as an example.

Last edited:
As of last night the turn based combat suddenly breaks and freezes up every time my cleric tries to cast the prayer spell. Not sure if it’s specific to the area I’m in or not. I’m debating if I should put the game aside for a bit and see if they fix it or just play around it.

I was playing last night and I had no issues with casting Prayer, so it might just be a location issue.

Back
Top Bottom