What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

And, saw another decent lovecraftian movie. The Endless. It was pretty good, but it also suffered from obtuse rules that govern its universe. Either obtuse or there are actual plotholes. Regardless, it was pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, I enjoyed that one. I see it as kind of a mindfreak, rather than something that makes coherent sense. I certainly found it engaging and curious enough to sit through.

Yeah, I enjoyed that one. I see it as kind of a mindfreak, rather than something that makes coherent sense. I certainly found it engaging and curious enough to sit through.

I also liked it. Two things I would have probably changed, considering it's rules didn't seem as consistent was to be even more vague and unexplained. And also maybe even hint a little more as to how the dark entity looked.

The drawing was nice, and I also loved the two moons on the distorted clouds image. Looked to me they tried to portray it that way. I would have loved more of that. I love those kinds of creepy images.

The scene with the two guys, Mike and the other one that's handcuffed to a railing. I felt that would could either be cut completely or done in a way that's more significant.

Yes, I remember thinking at the time that I'd enjoyed it, but there was a bit of a sense of a missed opportunity to be something really special. I get that from a few films, here and there.

It's a silly movie if you look at the story (the book it's based on isn't really a work of literature). But I love it, as you say there's something fascinating about it, and Bale is really into it.

I'd rather not know if there are people like that, but I wouldn't be surprised. :lol:

I love American Psycho. I still think it's one of Bale's best performances, and I like the 80's vibe. Those scenes where he talks about various music artists are classic.

Last Night in Soho

It's billed as a psychological horror film, but it's more drama\mystery than horror imo. I went in totally blind, not even knowing who was in it, and was pleasantly suprised. It features Diana Rigg in her final acting performance, and Anya Taylor-Joy.

It's about a young woman, played by Thomasin McKenzie, who moves to London to attend fashion design school. While she's there, she starts having dreams about a woman (Anya Taylor-Joy) who lived in the same place back in the 60's and is able to relive parts of her life through those dreams.

It's an interesting story with a twist. Worth watching if you're in that kind of mood.

It's an interesting story with a twist. Worth watching if you're in that kind of mood.
I like Edgar Wright's stuff (well, except I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim), so I've had my eye on this one. I think my wife is interested in seeing it, too, partly because the lead is a local (NZer).

I like Edgar Wright's stuff (well, except I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim), so I've had my eye on this one. I think my wife is interested in seeing it, too, partly because the lead is a local (NZer).

I had to look up the name because it didn't ring any bells. I've seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I thought they were ok, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. Last Night in Soho seems like quite a departure for him.

I wouldn't have guessed Thomasin McKenzie was from NZ. She pulls off the British thing well.

I had to look up the name because it didn't ring any bells. I've seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I thought they were ok, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan.
I'm a big fan of those and the sitcom he directed called "Spaced". Not as much a fan of The World's End, but still liked it to some degree.
Baby Driver is the only "serious" thing I've seen of his (and I liked it a lot), but yeah, Last Night in Soho sure looks like something quite different for him, in being non-comedic and ....weird.

Since we were talking about the Bond movies, I started rewatching the Borne movies, and have seen The Borne Identity. It has areas where I feel it hasn't aged as well, but overall it's still very decent and enjoyable. More than the Bond movies anyway. I hope to see the other ones, since I've only seen the original trilogy, and not the two movies they made afterwards.

It was kind of jarring to see how young Matt Damon was in it. Also, I was surprised to see Walton Goggins as a very side character, credited as Tech Guy. This is always interesting to me, seeing actors I take notice only recently, in their first roles in older movies.

I que'd up a film last night that I'd not watched since I saw it in the theatre, likely over twenty years ago. Almost Famous, the tale of a young lad, quite smart in his own right, gets inserted into the rock and roll lifestyle in a oblique, clever way. I found it just as viewable last night as when I first saw it.

Also saw Borne Supremacy and Borne Ultimatum. These felt more forgettable than the first, which is why I could not remember a thing from the last 30 mins of Ultimatum. I swear it was like watching that part for the first time, even though I'm sure I've seen it when it came out.

But the action sequences were entertaining enough. The only cringe moments were the one or two mentions of Borne by people in CIA that knew of him, and were mentioning him like he was some kind of god that all mortals must fear. That felt imature enough, like the stuff you see in most games where the devs want to stroke the player's ego. But aside from that, it was decent enough.

Production-wise it wasn't close to any of the recent Bond movies. Those clearly have way bigger budgets and look much nicer. But that can also work in making them feel more grounded.

Anyway, enough about these. They're not really worth talking about that much. But overall, between Bond, 24, and other spy/agent media, I can say Borne is probably slightly ahead overall. Now I'm curious about Borne Legacy, where from what I've seen they've replaced Damon with Jeremy Renner. I'm not much of a fan of Damon. He plays Borne pretty deadpan and generic, so it's not like the character is of too much importance to the movies themselves. So I'm kind of morbidly curious how Renner does it.

The Coen brothers have been hit or miss for me
I cannot mark any their title as a "miss". All hits in my case.
IMO if you want to watch a quality movie, pick any of their titles you till didn't watch, it's a sure bet.

Last Night in Soho

I am always in a mood for twists and thriller is my favorite genre.
Count me in, this weekend is possible, super busy lately so not sure.

Borne <trilogy>
I loved all three!
Legacy you say? It's trash not worth your cash, even if you have nothing else to watch.
Do however watch the fifth installment from 2016, titled as Jason Bourne, it's good.

But these are not supposed to be related not similar to Bond.
Related to Bond is Our Man Flint and In Like Flint, ingenious spoofs with James Coburn. Find, watch, asap.

Not related to Bond although one might think they are, are old OSS 117 movies. The reboot (revival) however is definetly related to Bond. And Flint.
The third movie from reboot should hit cinemas soon if it didn't already, I know it has been screened only at festivals, not sure if it went into normal distribution yet.

A word of warning though. OSS 117 reboot is politically incorrect to the extreme. Deliberately. And I love it.

Last edited:
I loved all three!
Legacy you say? It's trash not worth your cash, even if you have nothing else to watch.
Do however watch the fifth installment from 2016, titled as Jason Bourne, it's good.

I saw Borne Legacy, and it was decent overall. The first 3 thirds were actually pretty good, but they dropped the ball with the final act. Besides the directionless path to the end, the final action sequence was also kind of bland. But other than that, Renner did a pretty good job.

I also see that it was directed by someone different than the original trilogy was. And that the original director returns for Jason Borne (2016). I'm gonna see that as well.

Anyway, enough about these. They're not really worth talking about that much. But overall, between Bond, 24, and other spy/agent media, I can say Borne is probably slightly ahead overall. Now I'm curious about Borne Legacy, where from what I've seen they've replaced Damon with Jeremy Renner. I'm not much of a fan of Damon. He plays Borne pretty deadpan and generic, so it's not like the character is of too much importance to the movies themselves. So I'm kind of morbidly curious how Renner does it.
Loved the 3 first Borne movies. I agree with joxer that it's not the same spirit as Bond's movies, old or new. Bond is almost an institution, we all know he will be back. Borne's story cannot last, it's meant to be a short series only, it's unstable in nature and doesn't come back to "the world is safe again" every time. Bond is a curious mix of humour and serious matters, which are caricatured nonetheless (more in the old movies), while Borne is a serious matter all the time.

I also agree on Legacy. Well, watch it to complete the series if nothing else, but even if you prefer the actor (I'm fine with both for that role), the change makes it feel like a separate movie. At least it is another character in the movie, they don't pretend it's the same.

My main complain is the plot which is very basic, and the science part is completely ludicrous. The action and suspense parts are very good.
A word of warning though. OSS 117 reboot is politically incorrect to the extreme. Deliberately. And I love it.
Completely incorrect, I love it for that too. And it's all but serious, even if it touches serious subjects. It's really a satire of Bond movies.
I also like the way Bonisseur de la Bath (a mouthful) is at the same time very bad as so many things, and very good at others.

I cannot mark any their title as a "miss". All hits in my case.
IMO if you want to watch a quality movie, pick any of their titles you till didn't watch, it's a sure bet.

I didn't care for Buster Scruggs or their remake of True Grit. I wouldn't call them bad movies or anything. They just didn't resonate with me for whatever reason.

The first 3 thirds were actually pretty good

Sounds like a decent flick to me. ;)

I also saw Jason Borne, and to be honest it's not that much of a difference from Borne Legacy. And probably just as with Borne Legacy, the final 30 mins are pretty hilarious as to what it devolves into. It devolves into a cartoonish car chase, similar to what you'd see in a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Absolutely ridiculous. And then the usual fist fight.

Also, the main premise of the movie, I did not really gel with it. It's pretty boring to be honest. I was hoping for something more intriquing. But as an action movie, it's alright.

The remake of True Grit I thought was okay, yet pales in comparison to the original. As tends to be the case, in my experience. Some of the Coen films certainly vary in quality, yet I've not encountered one yet that's not worth viewing.

I remember liking the Coen True Grit. Didn't blow me away, but I remember loving the way Jeff Bridges played Rooster, or however he was called.

In keeping with rewatching movies I had already seen, I rewatched Nocturnal Animals. Very solid watch just as I remembered it. The first act is intense as hell. Just like the first time, I had a huge knot in my stomach, even though I kind of remembered what was going to happen.

Aye, had I not seen Rooster Cogburn played better in the past, I likely would have enjoyed the Coens' take on the character. I'd truly be keen on seeing if they'd do the sequel film as well, at some point. I'm sure Bridges would return for the role.

I loved True Grit (the newer version).
I also think the first three Bourne movies were good. I liked the Brenner one less, but thought it was watchable, and the 5th one (with Matt Damon back again) was merely okay. I saw it on the big screen and it felt way too shaky camera etc for me to handle, so maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd seen it on a TV.

Back
Top Bottom