What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I really liked Last Night in Soho. It's beautifully shot, and I think Thomasin McKenzie's performance will really launch her career.

It's also all shot in the real locations, even the real pubs, which is quite unusual. Definitely a great job at conjuring up the time and place.

I saw a mind-fuck of a movie, that's been mentioned on my favorite movies podcast.

Titane. Man, I don't know if I liked it, but it certainly is a mind-fuck. I can't decide if it was like that just for the sake of weirding me out, or if it actually had a purpose. It did have a message, I think. But it was packaged in such a bizzare concept you'd think it was thought of while under some drugs. :0

I plan on watching Last Night in Soho this weekend, perhaps tonight or tomorrow evening.

It has its flaws, but overall I was really engaged, and the three actresses that carry it are just great. It's one of those films where I think if it had succeeded a step further, it would be a pretty big deal.

I'm probably biased because, although we see London landmarks in movies, this is all shot in places I know well. When they run round the corner and down the alley, it all checks out, which is quite unusual.

Old

Yeah…not good. I should have heeded the warnings. Even Shyamalan fans can safely skip this one.

I really liked Last Night in Soho. It's beautifully shot, and I think Thomasin McKenzie's performance will really launch her career.

Yeah, hopefully that gets her some recognition, because Old sure won't. It's funny that I watched it tonight and she happens to be in that film as well. Didn't even realize it was her until I looked at the cast afterwards. Not much of a part though.

Last edited:
I stayed up super late last night and watched two movies, Last Night in Soho and one that I've not watched in years, Kentucky Fried Movie. Soho was interesting, hardly a character in the film that I could relate to, yet it was entertaining. It was almost a mindless version of a Lynch film, requiring very little thought or study, yet sufficiently engaging, for the most part. KFC is more a guilty pleasure for me, it always brings me back some great memories of drive in theatre days, and the chuckles are non stop. Landis did a fine job with this one!

Old

Yeah…not good. I should have heeded the warnings. Even Shyamalan fans can safely skip this one.

Yeah, hopefully that gets her some recognition, because Old sure won't. It's funny that I watched it tonight and she happens to be in that film as well. Didn't even realize it was her until I looked at the cast afterwards. Not much of a part though.

I didn't even clock her in that. I've blocked most of that out, with only a dim memory of Rufus Sewell chewing the scenery.

Saw Last Night in Soho last night.
Really enjoyed it. Clever cinematography and a couple of good twists.

The only thing I would have changed was cutting the "help us" scene with the phone, as that was very silly and took me out of the movie a bit. Other than that, very good. I'll never look at Matt Smith the same again.

Yeah Shagnak I agree with the phone bit, it was quite awkward yet in the end I thought it didn't detract from the film too much. Last Night in Soho is well worth watching.

Another 2 movies I've seen.

The Seventh Seal. This is an old movie, from 1957, that I've been meaning to try. And it was alright, but stuff either went over my head or I'm not sure why it's a classic. I looked at it more like how I usually watch old films, with the curiousity of how they chose to do it in that time period, with the limitations of those times. There was one particular scene which I loved, the christian self-flagelation parade was pretty cool and morbid as hell. Besides that, it did have plenty of beautiful shots. And had some interesting philosophical themes.

The other one I saw was Inside Out, a Disney/Pixar film I absolutely loved.

I'd say the draw of the Seventh Seal is mainly in the skill of the cinematography, and the actors are well cast as well. There are quite a few memorable shots from the film, the one you mentioned above is a particular favourite of mine. It's truly hard to nail that right, for the audience to perceive the abuse the way it was intended.

The other one I saw was Inside Out, a Disney/Pixar film I absolutely loved.

Yeah, I enjoyed that one, and I often mention Pixar and some other animation studios when I get accused of slating too many contemporary movies. I think many of their films are imaginative, witty, fun, and just a display of talent.

It's the kind of action/adventure/romance/comedy-type-stuff that Hollywood used to produce quite reliably, but now seems mostly awful.

Last edited:
Yesterday I checked out a fan film that's been in production for....well, years. It's a take on what might have occurred directly after Annie and Dale exited the lodge, with some back round material on the Philadelphia happenings as well. If you wish to check out act one, it's up now on you-tube, under the Annie Blackburn channel. I know the creator would be grateful for any views/comments, so if Twin Peaks has ever been your cuppa, give it a watch! I quite enjoyed what I saw and now I'm waiting for the next act.

I watched a movie called Caveat last night. It's a horror film from Ireland. You can tell they didn't have a huge budget, but the acting is solid, and the plot has some surprises. I enjoyed it. It has a similar vibe to an A24 production so if you like those films you'll probably like Caveat.

Back
Top Bottom