Pricewatch!

Yeah, I think we've all a responsibility to make sure what we are purchasing is legitimate, and not acquired via theft or cheating. Now, getting folks to actually adhere to that, good luck indeed.

Paid full price for Dragon Age. Hmmm, not sure what Inquisition is exactly. I bought all 3 of the Dragon Age games. I'll use CD-keys and others like it for the indie games that I'm unsure of, like those put out by Ellis Studios. If those games release, I buy them at full price. I want more completed games and agree that devs deserve pay for good work. However, I don't mind you thinking of me as a thief either if it makes you feel superior in some way, lol. You do you and I'll be amused.

BTW, the thread is called Pricewatch!, not Control or Dragon Age: Inquisition. My post had nothing to do with either game; instead it was about the discussion between JDR13/Kordanor/Carnifex :)

.BTW, the thread is called Pricewatch!, not Control or Dragon Age: Inquisition. My post had nothing to do with either game; instead it was about the discussion between JDR13/Kordanor/Carnifex :)

Which occurred directly because very cheap illicit keys were posted for those two games. Not sure what's difficult to follow about that.

Which occurred directly because very cheap illicit keys were posted for those two games. Not sure what's difficult to follow about that.

You do not know if they are "illicit". CDKeys.com are not one of those key peddler sites like G2A or Kinguin.

CDKeys.com may not be an authorized reseller but AFAIK they acquire all of their keys for resale and they are not a middle man peddling service.

Note how the very cheap Control keys are all GOG keys and CDKeys probably acquired them from some promo event (or maybe hardware bundles or whatever).

In the vast majority of cases CDKeys.com (thus the name of the site) buys physical copies in bulk at retail (probably directly from the distributor), scans the keys and puts them up for sale. They take heavy advantage of regional pricing so they buy in bulk in countries where the games can be bought for cheap.
Where possible they also buy keys in bulk from the distribution platforms directly. It would be up to Steam, Ubi, GOG etc. to limit bulk key selling if that is the case and in case anyone wants to break down on the "grey market".

I, for one, will keep using CDKeys.com until someone can provide evidence that they are selling stolen keys. I will always stay away from the peddlers like G2A and Kinguin etc. because they have a known track record of truly illicit keys.

That said, I buy the vast, vast, vast majority of my games directly from Steam or uPlay or, rarely, from GOG, Origin, Epic or B.net. Sometimes I buy from GreenManGaming or Fanatical. It always depends on a case by case basis. The last game I bought from CDKeys, however, was Resident Evil Village which was only €15 for the Black Friday Sale.

I avoid all shady sites when it comes to buying games. That means only buying games from steam, good old games, one of the official game platforms [yep, I bought and have games from all of them, including Blizzard, Rockstar games, Origin, and Ubisoft]
Ebay (for hard to find, and older games),
or Amazon (rarely these days, amazon sucks for pc games generally)

I did a quick look at CDKeys, and apparently its legit, but its not a site I would buy from personally.
Just because it has a "whiff" of shadiness about it, and I'd rather buy from steam 99% of the time.

Steam has amazing sales, and to me it doesn't make sense to go to a shady site for buying games, when (as a patient gamer) I can get the games on deep discount on steam eventually.

Ooh, I bought a new computer so I don't have Epic...unless it's on one of the externals. Dead by Daylight, @JDR13; does this have parkour? I figure you've at least looked at it ;)

Ooh, I bought a new computer so I don't have Epic…unless it's on one of the externals. Dead by Daylight, @JDR13; does this have parkour? I figure you've at least looked at it ;)

I think you are thinking about Dying Light. Dead by Daylight is mostly online co-op with tons of DLC.

DRAKENSANG is $1.99 on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/game/drakensang

Also, at some point (recently? I must have missed it) GOG added 3 of the old SSI titles, and all 3 are 20% off:

Questron II - $4.79
Sword of Aragon - $5.59
Wizard's Crown - $4.79

https://www.gog.com/games?limit=48&developers=ssi&order=desc:bestselling&page=1

I'm kind of stoked about QUESTRON II! One of the first RPGs I completed back in the stone age. And the character editor I wrote for the C-64 version was the first computer program I ever wrote.

Maybe some day we'll see QUESTRON and LEGACY OF THE ANCIENTS on GoG!

Also, at some point (recently? I must have missed it) GOG added 3 of the old SSI titles, and all 3 are 20% off:

Questron II - $4.79
Sword of Aragon - $5.59
Wizard's Crown - $4.79

They were just added yesterday (or the day before depending on your time zone).

I'm thinking about picking up Drakensang despite already owning it on Steam. Apparently the GOG version has less issues on newer systems? It sucks though that GOG doesn't have the sequel.

I'm hopeful that GoG will at some point get the sequel for Drakensang. And those classic SSI games are a must, thanks for the information about those, I'd miss that news entirely.

Back
Top Bottom