The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

So today was rainy and a bit chilly, I wound up hanging around indoors and re-watched/re-listened to the HFS 'tival show from 1990!!! I think this was technically the third iteration, as the first two took place at the P.G. Equestrian Centre, if memory serves. This one was set at Lake Fairfax Park, in Virginia, and was headlined by such acts as the Tragically Hip, Concrete Blonde, Pursuit of Happiness, and several others. Man, what a treat for my ears to revisit!!

I took a deep dive into all things Platters a few years ago, when the most recent iteration of Twin Peaks came out, maybe about four years ago now? So later today I think I'll revisit their wonderful music, thanks for the reminder!

I like to sing, and a few years ago I looked up some of the best male vocals of all time, to see how it's done properly. The Platters came up, and so did the Righteous Brothers. Yeah... I'm not going to cut it. Those cats back in the day could really sing.

This afternoon while reading I sat down and listened to the entire Nirvana boxed set, With the Lights Out. What a masterpiece, most of the album sounds like either demo recordings or ones made in very small clubs, probably back like thirty plus years ago. I highly recommend this collection if you're a fan of the band.

I watched this on the plane yesterday and it really got to me. Maybe because I was so stressed and tired and the memories.

Somewhere

Last edited:
I like to sing, and a few years ago I looked up some of the best male vocals of all time, to see how it's done properly. The Platters came up, and so did the Righteous Brothers. Yeah… I'm not going to cut it. Those cats back in the day could really sing.

Yes they could :). Interestingly, I caught a YouTube video on how autotune is being used even on really talented singers such as Michael Buble - and even in live performances!

Today I listened to the live version of Pulse, by Pink Floyd. The best, and I mean very best decision done on this album was to include Astronomy Domine, as it's literally the first track on their debut album. Now, Wright and Gilmour do a great job on the vocals, yet in my mind I'll always hear Barrett singing the song. At close to two and a half hours, there's not a bad cut on this album, full stop.

This morning I took to the porch....it was so quiet, well, that wouldn't do, so out came the first two albums from Halestorm: the self-titled first, and then the Strange Case of..... Oh yes, the sabbath is rocking and rolling, now!!~

BTW, Freak Like Me needs to be at a minimum of one hundred twenty decibels.....make it so!!

I saw HiddenX's above mention of the all-mighty Ramones, so that's what I was grooving to during lunch today!! Another band that you cannot go wrong with any album pick, they're all glorious.

I suppose it's not too early to roll out my annual tradition:

and

Procul Harum was my choice for this morning, those first three albums are just fantastic! Their live album, done with a symphony in Edmonton back in 1972, is also a solid masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom