The TV Series discussion thread

Ya'll folks that got past the second series of Walking Dead are made of far sterner stuff than I am. Even with a book at hand, that second series was like watching and listening to paint dry, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I think the first 2 seasons are the best of the Walking Dead. Those are the ones lead by the show creator, Frank Darabont. Afterwards AMC fucked him over, from what I read. Personally I really enjoyed the first 3-4 seasons. Then I had a second try at the series and got up to the 5th, or 6th I think. And dropped it again. Now all this discussion is kind of making me giving it a third try.

I think the first 2 seasons are the best of the Walking Dead. Those are the ones lead by the show creator, Frank Darabont. Afterwards AMC fucked him over, from what I read. Personally I really enjoyed the first 3-4 seasons. Then I had a second try at the series and got up to the 5th, or 6th I think. And dropped it again. Now all this discussion is kind of making me giving it a third try.

If you've already seen the first 5-6 seasons, I'd just stop there. There's no reason to watch beyond that unless you're just really curious about where things go and don't care about the quality.

Last edited:
If you've already seen the first 5-6 seasons, I'd just stop there. There's no reason to watch beyond that unless you're just really curious about where things go and don't care about the quality.

I tend to be ocd about this sort of stuff. So I like to take things to the end, just to check them off. But I'm not sure when I'll get to do that with TWD.

I'm not even sure if I saw the 5th or 6th. It's all a blur pretty much, for me. I remember them getting to some new town where some dude named the Mayor, or the Duke, or something like that lead the community. And I think that's where I stopped. I think.

I've watched the first 3 episodes of The Witcher season 2 now, and I'm enjoying it at least as much as the first season so far if not more.

I like how they seem to introduce at least 1 monster from The Witcher lore in every episode, and they've done a great job translating them to the screen imo.

Only one thing I didn't like so far. It's a bit of a head scratcher, and goes against the series lore, unless there's more to be revealed later.

Eskel being killed in the second episode.

I'm not even sure if I saw the 5th or 6th. It's all a blur pretty much, for me. I remember them getting to some new town where some dude named the Mayor, or the Duke, or something like that lead the community. And I think that's where I stopped. I think.

You mean The Governor? It sounds like you didn't get as far as you thought. That was all the way back in season 3. :)

Speaking of Matt Berry, there's a new series called Toast Of Tinseltown. Quirky British comedy set to maximum silliness isn't for everyone, but the new series starts with Larry David as a conspiracy theorist, which was fun to see.

I watched the third season of Hanna, as I also saw the other two seasons. It is only 6 episodes, which is good, as there isn't that much of a story, but it is quite actiony compared to season 2. With the lack of a good story that is a plus as well.
Unfortunately it has its share of dumb moments, where the supposedly smart kid Hanna, does some dumb things. I understand it is done to try and create a hazardous situation for the viewer's enjoyment, but I just think it is bad writing.
It was enjoyable enough to watch when working out though.

You mean The Governor? It sounds like you didn't get as far as you thought. That was all the way back in season 3. :)

Really? Yeah I must have them confused. I always associated season 3 with the prison and the farm they end up on with the reveal in the barn. Anyway, I'll have to see when I can get to it again.

Really? Yeah I must have them confused. I always associated season 3 with the prison and the farm they end up on with the reveal in the barn. Anyway, I'll have to see when I can get to it again.

Season 3 has them at the prison, yes. That plotline runs concurrently with Woodbury/The Governor. Hershel's farm was season 2.

We started season two of 'Emily in Paris' - and yes, it is every bit as vacuous and insipid as the first one so far - perhaps even more so, as all of the irritating and culturally clueless stuff from S1 is now 'canon'. And now, of course, we're wrapped up in a dual love triangle and get the cliche 'one love interest overhears conversation with other love interest' … made worse because she is in a room to be shared on a train trip with the other person and standing with her back to the door. The laziness of writing is insane - and this is the *first episode*!

Perhaps it will get better, but somehow I doubt it … my wife likes it as 'light fluff that passed in the early pandemic and reminds us of our incredible 25th anniversary trip to Europe (incl. Paris) nearly five years ago! So … I will tolerate it, episodes are ~20 minutes and only 9 left! :D

I keep meaning to check out that Hanna show, yet constantly seem to be diverted by other shows these days. Is it worth checking out? I did enjoy the film that shares the same name, is this at least comparable in quality?

The series of Hanna is very different from the movie. The idea is similar, but the story is not. I would say it is OK as a series, but nothing special.

We started season two of 'Emily in Paris' - and yes, it is every bit as vacuous and insipid as the first one so far - perhaps even more so, as all of the irritating and culturally clueless stuff from S1 is now 'canon'. And now, of course, we're wrapped up in a dual love triangle and get the cliche 'one love interest overhears conversation with other love interest' … made worse because she is in a room to be shared on a train trip with the other person and standing with her back to the door. The laziness of writing is insane - and this is the *first episode*!

I was briefly exposed to it. Only the Sex Pistols can respond appropriately.

Speaking of Matt Berry, there's a new series called Toast Of Tinseltown. Quirky British comedy set to maximum silliness isn't for everyone, but the new series starts with Larry David as a conspiracy theorist, which was fun to see.
Thanks for the heads-up! I loved Toast of London and had no idea this was being made.
Matt Berry is one of the best things about the US What We Do In the Shadows.

Thanks for the heads-up! I loved Toast of London and had no idea this was being made.
Matt Berry is one of the best things about the US What We Do In the Shadows.

His Shadows co-stars turn up, along with loads of US faces. It's almost a bit like Extras.

and why are you still watching it? It sounds like you both hate it. One thing we're not running out of in this world is TV shows.

My wife likes it - sentimental as much as anything. If she can deal with Boba Fest and Letterkenny I can stomach this one :D

Back
Top Bottom