RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Rome Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Farflame had a chance to interview Logic Artists' Jonas Waever about their upcoming game Expeditions: Rome.

RPGWatch We know that the game does not have attributes like Strength, Dexterity etc. It's mainly about class skills and items (item skills). Can you tell us what happens when your hero levels up and how armour works?

Jonas: Levelling up grants you more health, 1 skill point, more damage with Unarmed attacks, and on certain levels a new unarmed attack as well. Everything else comes from your equipment.
Armour is indeed a stat, and is quite simply deducted from the damage of every attack against the character. Critical damage bypasses armour though, and two-handed weapons have the ability to "shred" armour on the target, permanently reducing their Armour until the end of combat. In addition to the Armour stat, outfits also provide damage resistance, which is a simple percentage chance that an attack with a certain type of damage will be reduced to a "Glancing Blow". Glancing Blows deal only 25% of the damage the attack would normally have dealt, and apply no further effects to the target. Any RPG fan should be familiar with the damage types: Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing.
Finally, there is also Fire resistance and Poison resistance which determine how likely you are to avoid being poisoned or set on fire.
More information.

Thanks Farflame and Jonas Waever for this interesting interview!

Thanks for the interview. Looks like they've added some new mechanics to the game, so I'm looking forward to it.

I know some people don't like mixing genres and that it can detract from the main game experience, but I prefer devs experimenting with new things rather than do the same thing over and over again. So good on them :)

Not sure if this is a good place to talk about it but it sounds like Ex: Rome will be Logic Artist's last game if this article is correct:

https://venturebeat.com/2021/12/21/...5m-to-take-traditional-games-into-blockchain/

Dynasty Studios originates from Logic Artists, a Denmark-based gaming studio founded in 2011. It has made games such as the Expeditions series of titles, and it is finishing up work on Expeditions: Rome, which will be published by THQ Nordic. After that, Logic Artists will wind down and its staff will join Dynasty Studios.

Logic Artists — whose leaders are now running Dynasty — specialized in tactical role-playing games for PCs and consoles. But in tandem with the rise of blockchain technology, the team has spent the past year on a vision of player-driven, on-chain economic strategies take shape to further enhance triple-A gameplay.

The company takes a “gamer first” approach, delivering rich gameplay experiences inside a universe of robust in-game economies, said Ali Emek, CEO of Dynasty Studios, in an interview with GamesBeat. He said Dynasty’s first title will be the upcoming massively multiplayer survival triple-A-quality game, codenamed HAN.

Well, that's some dire news, if it means the end of the series as well. I doubt I'll have any interest in the multiplayer project that Dynasty will be working on.

IIRC the publisher THQ Nordic actually owns the rights to the Expeditions series now. So assuming Rome sells well there could very well be another one.

Great questions, Farflame! You put alot of thought and work into them.
Also, thanks to Jonas Weaver for taking the time!

Tonight will see the rise of Biggus Dickus and his conquests shall be remembered for all time! Just kidding, it will be Maximus Longus.

Not sure if this is a good place to talk about it but it sounds like Ex: Rome will be Logic Artist's last game if this article is correct:

https://venturebeat.com/2021/12/21/...5m-to-take-traditional-games-into-blockchain/

Really sad to hear that, though they seem to originate from Logic Artists so it would mostly be a change of name. On the other hand, it looks like a spin-off which got successful by using NFTs, so I certainly won't buy anything from them (besides, AAAs and MMOs are not my type either).

Some clarification from Jonas on Dynasty & Expeditions: Rome.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/987840/discussions/0/3196993949745477883/?ctp=3#c3196993949746084717

Not sure if this means staff who won't be joining Dynasty will form a new company for future Expeditions games

That does sound somewhat reassuring. At least as far as anything about Rome is concerned. Since I've seen it on the "Top Sellers" list on Steam, I feel it's reasonable to hope that the game will be a success both critically & financially.

In that case Paradox would be crazy to write off the series just to cash in on the most recent "Easy Money from The Rubes" scheme.

Some clarification from Jonas on Dynasty & Expeditions: Rome.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/987840/discussions/0/3196993949745477883/?ctp=3#c3196993949746084717

Not sure if this means staff who won't be joining Dynasty will form a new company for future Expeditions games

He does say this, which seems to be a good clue that he won't:
As for Dynasty I can't really talk about that because I have nothing to do with it :)

Whatever they choose to do, I hope they find a good place, and somewhat selfishly, that they continue producing similar games too.

I'm not too concerned about the game Expeditions: Rome itself, I trust they wouldn't do anything foolish with a game they obviously cared a lot about.

You are welcome, guys. Im glad that you like the interview.
Interviews with Jonas are always good.

The mood is only a little spoiled by that last news. @purpleblob1; should wait some time before posting it. :)

I know some people don't like mixing genres and that it can detract from the main game experience, but I prefer devs experimenting with new things rather than do the same thing over and over again. So good on them :)

I agree. The game is about being Roman commander so its good thing they try to stick to this vision with some special (strategic) elements.

purpleblob1 said:

It probably depends on sales of Rome. Its hard to tell how much is THQ Nordic interested in CRPGs. But they also work on some strategy games that will have lower (probably much lower) sales than Rome. So if the IP is strong enough.... ?

That does sound somewhat reassuring. At least as far as anything about Rome is concerned. Since I've seen it on the "Top Sellers" list on Steam, I feel it's reasonable to hope that the game will be a success both critically & financially.

In that case Paradox would be crazy to write off the series just to cash in on the most recent "Easy Money from The Rubes" scheme.

? Do you mean THQ Nordic?

Whatever they choose to do, I hope they find a good place, and somewhat selfishly, that they continue producing similar games too.

Would be cool if they form a new studio themselves - there's someone who worked on Viking then left Logic Artist last year(?) due to COVID reason or something, maybe he can join the team as well :)

The mood is only a little spoiled by that last news. @purpleblob1; should wait some time before posting it. :)

I thought it a relevant news but perhaps I should have asked one of the newsposter to create a separate newsbit? Sorry if it spoiled the mood.

It seems like the news was out back in December 2021.

I thought it a relevant news but perhaps I should have asked one of the newsposter to create a separate newsbit? Sorry if it spoiled the mood.

It seems like the news was out back in December 2021.
In my opinion it is relevant to this game and it is fitting in whatever thread about this game. This is as good a place to have this info as any other Expeditions: Rome thread :)

Back
Top Bottom