Best of 2021?

No we did not. He's talking about the two polls this site does every year. It's usually done in late January or February. Myrthos must be busy right now though.:)

The two long lists will be presented to everyone in the general RPG forum in order to create a short list, before we go into the GOTY contest.
We will have the usual debate about why a game should or should not be in the resulting short list and it results into a short list that we will use in the GOTY contest a couple of days later. It will be based on the suggestions made and finalized in my usual autocratic decision style.

When we have the GOTY contest we will have that same discussion again, because there are always people who completely missed the debate about reducing the long list into a short list :)

We will have the usual debate about why a game should or should not be in the resulting short list and it results into a short list that we will use in the GOTY contest a couple of days later. It will be based on the suggestions made and finalized in my usual autocratic decision style.

When we have the GOTY contest we will have that same discussion again, because there are always people who completely missed the debate about reducing the long list into a short list :)

Funny how you can predict the future :p

Glad to hear it. Thanks. Maybe this year we'll need a special, one-time, best of JRPG category?

I suspect Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will be this year's Witcher 3 but it'll be interesting to see how everything else breaks out.

Glad to hear it. Thanks. Maybe this year we'll need a special, one-time, best of JRPG category?

I just see that now, but I was feeling the same. It's taking a more and more important part apparently, and players are more strongly divided on the genre than many other variations on the format. That's my impression anyway.

When I search for news, I find more and more articles on JRPGs, sometimes it tends to drown the rest (in the RPG genre, not overall).

I think it would be a good thing if they had their own category now they are getting ported with such frequency. JRPG hold zero interest for me - even if I get one for free I wouldn't play it.

Another one might be to have a generic console RPG category to cover games that release primarily for Console and are then ported to PC. But on the other hand you probably don't want too many categories.

I just see that now, but I was feeling the same. It's taking a more and more important part apparently, and players are more strongly divided on the genre than many other variations on the format. That's my impression anyway.

When I search for news, I find more and more articles on JRPGs, sometimes it tends to drown the rest (in the RPG genre, not overall).

It might be that the term JRPG is just a bit redundant now.

I see that Dark Deity has been relatively popular this year (just discovered this during the end of year poll), which, at first glance, one would define as a JRPG.

However, The developers are a Californian based company with a lot of western sounding names in the dev team & it was published by Freedom Games, an American publisher.

So is JRPG just art-style now? Or some mechanical elements? Can westerners make games and call them JRPGs? And other such definition soup.

In terms of taking a more important part and more and more articles, RPGWatch content on Dark Deity was almost zero. It got listed in the game reviews & comments sub-forum thread & a couple of people replied to it. It had 3 news threads between 17th and 28th Jun 2021, 2 of which garnered zero comments & the released thread saw 4 interested players comment (though one was fluent, who has a reputation for liking everything he sees) and one just said it looked interesting.

But not much in the way of those who played it rushing to tell everyone else all about it. There's no thread for it in the Indy RPGs sub-forum AFAICT (nothing posted since Jun anyway), no threads about it in GRPG sub-forum and very little, if any, mention of it in Games finished or currently playing thread.

There aren't even any threads for it in the JRPG sub-forum. And yet it is getting vocal votes for it for GOTY in a year with quite stiff competition in the AA and indy RPG market from RPGWatch members.

There could be many reasons for this, I wouldn't like to speculate on the many possibles, but it seems somewhat disappointing that we vote as a community at the end of the year and a game is being voted for that the community hasn't really been contributing to the community about. If you know what I mean.

Quoting Blackadder:

Lieutenant George : I don't like blowing my own trumpet.

Captain Blackadder : You might at least told us you had a trumpet.

The case Dark Deity is an easy one. It's a niche Fire Emblem like game. I played and liked it a lot, so I promoted it a little bit here and on the Steam Curator.

For Carnifex it is the GotY and for Greywolf00 it is on the second place.

If you like this Fire Emblem niche I highly recommended it, otherwise just skip it.

Yes, @Carnifex; seems to be the only one who's talked about it in any detail via forum posts, one paragraph in Last Game Finished and A couple of small posts in Currently Playing. No-one responded to him though.

If you played it and liked it a lot, did you not feel the urge to tell everyone that? Go into some detail in some way?

I'm not complaining, each to their own and all, just curious what puts you off from waxing lyrical about stuff you like?

I could write and talk a lot about all the games I play, there's just one problem:
I don't have enough time. The gaming, the searching for newsbits and new interresting RPGs cost a lot of my free time already.
In 4 years I will be a pensioner - then I can discuss a little bit more :)

And I suppose I could write a bit more about games that I like, so I'll attempt to do that. It might lead to me repeating some information though, so be prepared for that horror show!!~ -p

Back
Top Bottom