Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Announcement: Patch 7

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Larian has posted a pre-patch announcement (patch 7) for Baldur's Gate 3 which hints at a new class reveal.

Pre-Patch Announcement

7e2cecf4bb658961087f97a1203fccdfde827326.png

Hello, everyone! We hope you're all keeping well.

It has been a whole festive period since we've spoken. We've not been resting on our yule logs, though. Patch 7 is almost here, and we're so excited for you to play it we could explode. That isn't necessarily a hint, we're just very excited. We've got a Panel from Hell coming up to properly reveal it, but let's just say it's going to be....pretty cool.

Ok, that might have been a hint as to what will be in the show itself - just keep yourself calm and all will be revealed soon.

Now, on to the meat of the day: Patch 7 is on the horizon, weighing in at approximately 32GB (so clear some space from the digital platter!), so we have to remind you that any saves made on Patch 6 or prior will no longer be compatible when updated. With Patch 7 installed, the total install size for Baldur's Gate 3 will be approximately 100GB, so make sure you have plenty free.

So, let's talk branching! (If that is what you desire!) There are options for you if you want to continue saves from previous patches, or if you want to make sure you're staying current. Check out the below instructions for whichever method suits you best

1. How to Update Your Game to Patch 7: If you want to play the most up to date version of the game and have never opted into any beta branches in the past, then good news: You don't need to do anything! When the patch releases, you will receive the most updated version of the game as long as you have automatic updates enabled. To enable automatic updates, please follow the steps below:

[...]
More information.

I was just coming here to post this. A pre-patch announcement for early access. Is that a new record for announcement?

We're definitely in eye roll territory now. :rolleyes: Wake me up when they actually finish.

I was just coming here to post this. A pre-patch announcement for early access. Is that a new record for announcement?
If so this would be the seventh Early Access pre-patch announcement. I've long moved past caring and accepted this is the new industry norm nowadays. It's laughable.:biggrin:

They also announced their previous patches.

I think that's commendable.
In this case there is a direct reason: to opt out of this patch if you want to continue playing with your current save games.
Open communication should alsways be lauded and not laughed at.

I have no problem with EA or significant patch announcements, I just wished we already had release date. On the other hand, there are plenty other games to play in the meantime and more are coming soon. My enthusiasm about AAA games diminished in past years but I already know I will play at least one on release this month.

It's important to people who play it, as @Kylex; said, and (normally) easy enough to ignore for others. I find it a bit selfish to discourage this type of news, even if I understand that many are tired of waiting for the full release.

For my part, I'm just curious to see what they'll add this time... will it be possible to craft salamis and make more damage with them? Perhaps by adding pepper? ;)

To those who followed D:OS 1 & 2, how did they do regarding the release date, did they announce it long before?

Larian's early access strategy of adding new content and functionality in piecemeal just feels so boring and kills the joy of anticipation. I was super hyped when they announced the game some years ago but now I'm kind of burned out on BG3 news and don't care that much about if and when the game will drop.

I prefer the Elden Ring approach where they just announced it was in development with a very basic trailer and then what followed was about 2 years of radio silence if I remember correctly. These past 6 months we've seen quite the increase in trailers and content ramping up to release. I much prefer this setup. Don't know if others feel the same?

If it's just one more class as before it's gonna be a wierd one i guess.
If history of 2 classes per year is any kind of indicator… Release could go well beyond 2023…
Playing the same zone for 3+ years just isn't my thing. So i didn't bother with the last patch. Best to just wait for full game.

There is alot less feedback as well, compared to Dos 2 EA so who know. I guess they are big boys now and don't have to kiss ass anymore.:)

To those who followed D:OS 1 & 2, how did they do regarding the release date, did they announce it long before?
It was usually a year after the EA release on Steam. The problem with BG III in Swen's own words it needs to much content for every class selection. IE to ambitious.

In this case there is a direct reason: to opt out of this patch if you want to continue playing with your current save games.
I'll laugh all I want as development is proceeding at a snail pace.:p

Man so much hype for an unreleased EA game.:rolleyes:
Larian's early access strategy of adding new content and functionality in piecemeal just feels so boring and kills the joy of anticipation. I was super hyped when they announced the game some years ago but now I'm kind of burned out on BG3 news and don't care that much about if and when the game will drop.

I prefer the Elden Ring approach where they just announced it was in development with a very basic trailer and then what followed was about 2 years of radio silence if I remember correctly. These past 6 months we've seen quite the increase in trailers and content ramping up to release. I much prefer this setup. Don't know if others feel the same?
This 100% this. Announce your game when it's done and near release. Like Bethesda did with Fallout 4. Otherwise it's pointless to hype an Early Access game for a year or more..

Though in Larian's case it seems they love the fan feedback more then the money.

They update the game about 4 times a year and you are burned out because of this?

It's quite standard for any EA to release pieces at a time and to hide a good part of the whole game. If that kills your anticipation, just don't participate to the EA.

And if you're talking about the news we report here or in general, why do you read it in the first place, if you don't like news about games in development? It's so easy to ignore.

What I find boring and probably kills the joy of others is having to go through this every time. But we're not going to filter out news because a few people are impatient or because of some sort of taboo on announcements, even if we have to put up with this. :p

Or if you think many dislike it, you can suggest a poll about it, if it hasn't been done already. It's been a while since we had the last one. It could be interesting, I'm not being sarcastic.

I do not mind their announcements or the way they patch the game 4 times a year. What I do mind is that it seems this is still a very long time until release :p

Some people like all the detail, some people don't. Some people like early access, some people don't. Thing is, people who don't like those things can just ignore the game until it's done enough for them. If there was no early access or no patch announcements, then the people who like those things (or just want to occasionally know the status of a game that interests them) wouldn't be able to get them at all.

Personally I wait until games are absolutely done, including all the DLC and bugfixing. I figure that will take several years, but after a lifetime of effort I've learned patience. If nothing else, it saves quite a bit of money.

Well, I'm still hyped about the game. Perhaps because I just don't follow the news. ;)

Well, I'm still hyped about the game. Perhaps because I just don't follow the news. ;)

That’s the strategy I’m following too. I am really looking forward to BG3 because I loved BG and BG2 so much. I’ll read an article here or there to see what they are currently up to. But otherwise I am just ignoring it until release.

This is def not a game I want to play in EA. I will ignore all the talk, wait until it is officially content complete and then play it fresh.

If it's just one more class as before it's gonna be a wierd one i guess.
If history of 2 classes per year is any kind of indicator… Release could go well beyond 2023… Playing the same zone for 3+ years just isn't my thing. So i didn't bother with the last patch. Best to just wait for full game.

I don't expect they're going to end up with as many classes as some other D&D games. I think what the game has now will be fine with the addition of 1 or 2 more melee classes.

I expect they'll add Paladin and either Monk or Barbarian if not both.

@Redglph It's important to people who play it, as @Kylex said, and (normally) easy enough to ignore for others. I find it a bit selfish to discourage this type of news, even if I understand that many are tired of waiting for the full release.

For my part, I'm just curious to see what they'll add this time… will it be possible to craft salamis and make more damage with them? Perhaps by adding pepper?

Woah, some people totally got too serious about this :p

I have over 100 hours in the EA and I am looking forward to this game with great anticipation and I enjoy every patch note and update they release.

It was a tongue in cheek comment that I guess some people didn't get and decided to be offended by it. No surprise there really.

EDIT: And to clarify a bit yes it is commendable that a company provides a heads up for those testing ... playing ... an early access game in regards to their save (and is similar to the same instructions they have provided a few times).

But at a broader, more general level, I find it a bit amusing that this is where things are today that even a patch needs some hype with a pre-patch announcement, that doesn't even state what the patch will be about because its a pre-patch announcement.

Guess my sense of humor is twisted in finding that somewhat funny as a statement about the industry these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom