Horizon: Zero Dawn Review

I did get my PS5 and I'm feeling good about my timing based on what I've read about Forbidden West. I picked up Deathloop too, which is typical stylish Arkane awesomeness.

You're going to have a big, robotic dinosaur stampeding toward you, with its huge jaws covering most of its weak points, and you're going to aim at it with A CONTROLLER??

Face the sun, @JFarrell71;. ;)

You're going to have a big, robotic dinosaur stampeding toward you, with its huge jaws covering most of its weak points, and you're going to aim at it with A CONTROLLER??

I would much, much rather play any third person action game with a controller. Besides, in Horizon you don't have a gun. You have a bow, which is much better simulated by an analog stick with haptic feedback.

I was thinking he's going to have a much harder time with Deathloop. Now that's a game I definitely wouldn't want to play with a gamepad. :)

I was thinking he's going to have a much harder time with Deathloop. Now that's a game I definitely wouldn't want to play with a gamepad. :)

It definitely influences which guns I use. It's alright, though. I've played enough first person shooters with both types of controls that I get by with either.

I'm still waiting for my PS4 version of HZD:FW to arrive here.

Yes, I know nobody is asking me to, but I probably won't do another review like I did here (see OP). It's just not easy for me to write a lenghty text in another language, even with someone else doing the proofreading (I can't thank you enough @Aubrielle; :) )

Last edited:
I still would have expected more of a difference. For example, more effects/particles happening onscreen in the PS5 version. Those kind of things appear to be identical though.

That tells me they didn't tailor the game for next-gen consoles. It looks like they just ported it over and used the additional power to enhance the visuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It didn't really need anything else.

IGN posted a comparison video of Forbidden West running on PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs PS5.

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-reminder (Scroll down a bit)

It looks surprisingly good on PS4. Not as crisp or smooth as on PS5, but the difference isn't as wide as I would have expected.

Oh, I forgot to tell that I have a PS4 PRO coupled with a 4K HDR TV. From the comparison video, I can say I'll be happy enough to play the game on my console.

And thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

I never quite finished the first Horizon and have been playing it the past couple of days. It's still one of the best looking PS4 games to date, so I have little doubt Guerilla will max out the PS4's capabilities for the sequel.

I never quite finished the first Horizon and have been playing it the past couple of days. It's still one of the best looking PS4 games to date, so I have little doubt Guerilla will max out the PS4's capabilities for the sequel.

Fully agreed!

I got the chance to play Forbidden West for a short time tonight and the graphics are indeed whoa. I went straight from Zero Dawn (which is beautiful, as I've recently said) and there's no comparison. On the PS5 using resolution mode at least, Forbidden West is on another level completely.

Midnight release huh?

I recommend finishing Zero Dawn though. The ending is worth it and sets you up nicely for the sequel.

I'm definitely going to be doing this one with a controller again. The controller just creates the feel of using a bow in a way that K+M can never do. The mouse is definitely much easier to aim with though.

I still would have expected more of a difference. For example, more effects/particles happening onscreen in the PS5 version. Those kind of things appear to be identical though.

I came across a video that illustrates the degree to which that's not true. Look at the particle comparison at 3:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDTE7PutHA

I came across a video that illustrates the degree to which that's not true. Look at the particle comparison at 3:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDTE7PutHA

I wonder what scene that's from, because, in actual gameplay footage, they look pretty much identical. For example, go back to the video I linked to and look at the comparison of the jungle scene starting at 2:02. It's a good scene to compare because there's a lot of particles and environmental background stuff (i.e. butterflies, etc.) going on there, and you can clearly see they're the same in every version.

Surprised that nothing about Forbidden West has been shared on the main page given how much people liked the previous entry. Is it an RPG?

I didn't play the previous entry so wouldn't know.

There are 105 reviews on Metacritic already :[ The media seem to be hugely interested in this one. Didn't even know there were so many sites reviewing games. Most of the reviews are positive. Only 6 mixed.

It's an action-RPG, yeah.

It's a Playstation exclusive (for now) though, and I'm guessing that's why it hasn't garnered more attention here.

Yes, that must be the reason, but one should at least have it in the "Recently released" list. Perhaps one news post would be on place too.

It's not for everyone (me included), but it does have more Metacritic reviews than I have seen for any game. That tells something. *Someone* must be interested in this one.

Back
Top Bottom