ELEX II - Review @ ACG

PB games always have mixed reviews and mainstream does not forgive if game accents other aspects then graphics. Bad reviews cant spoil it for me ... when I get around to play it ... after Horizon and Elden Ring. What a year ...

PB games always have mixed reviews and mainstream does not forgive if game accents other aspects then graphics. Bad reviews cant spoil it for me … when I get around to play it … after Horizon and Elden Ring. What a year …

I read two negative reviews a few minutes ago and neither said anything about graphics.

Half of that quote is about graphics (the draw distance part). Saying that places seem empty isn't about graphics.

It's obviously fine to mention graphics in any review. My point is that poor graphics is far, far from the only criticism about this game (or any PB games, for that matter)

I certainly don't disagree with that.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/elex-ii

The graphics look like typical PB from the footage I've seen. Ugly characters but nice environments and monster design.

Not sure why he's so surprised about the performance. All of their games since Gothic 3 have been pretty smooth at launch.

I have to put this quote here (from God is a Geek)

"While it has a fan base and enough janky charm to satisfy those who enjoy Piranha Bytes brand of sprawling, complex RPGs, releasing Elex 2 right now feels brave at best. 2022 has already seen the coming of several open world behemoths, and Elex II is tottering into the midst of them like a cute little lamb onto a room full of out-of-control combine harvesters."

Well, I take a cute little lamb over an out-of-control harvester any time. ;)

I'm not worried about mixed reviews at all, they usually don't predict how much I will like a game. I've gotten something out of every PB game to date, and have played them all to completion. That's not to say I've enjoyed them all equally, of course. My favorites are Gothic 2 and 3, as well as the first Risen. Risen 2 is probably my least favorite, whereas 3 was okay, and Elex felt like a real return to form. If Elex 2 wasn't coming out tomorrow, I would probably be replaying Elex right now.

Meanwhile, there are games which receive rave reviews, but fail to capture my interest. TES IV: Oblivion is the obvious example. It was okay for a little while, but I never bothered to finish it.

I'm not worried about mixed reviews at all, they usually don't predict how much I will like a game.
Exactly. That's why I'm on this site.

Agreed, reviews are not the end-all-be-all for me, never have been, never will be. I get far more information from this site than I do from reading other reviews, to be honest, and a pretty good idea if I'll enjoy the game or not. It's good to see that the performance already seems to be in a good spot, and with time will likely improve even more.

It obviously wasn't agreeing with their system for some reason. It that was typical, we would have seen it in other videos.

It obviously wasn't agreeing with their system for some reason. It that was typical, we would have seen it in other videos.

I saw this in a (different) review today:

"To get this game running kind of okay on a Ryzen 9 5900HX and a RTX 3080, I had to drop down to 1080p from 1440p and run everything on relatively low settings. Even then, it still sat well below 60 frame per second, on a system that is way overspecced for most modern games. This has to be one of the most poorly optimised games that I have ever played. It runs so poorly that I honestly feel like it's bloatware at this point. I played the original on PS4 and it certainly ran poorly there, but I never imagined that the sequel would run this terribly on PC."

i bet if i run gothic 2 right now i'll have more fun than playing this...infact wish i could erase my gothic memories and play it for the first time even today.

Risen was ok... but jetpacks are just a hard pass for me. Good luck to devs. They will need it with Elden shit runing around...

Texture problems have plagued PB games since the Risen games. There was a few mods that fixed the pop-in effects. Elex had the same problem but it wasn't that noticeable.

They really need a new game engine or better programmers.:(

I saw this in a (different) review today:

"To get this game running kind of okay on a Ryzen 9 5900HX and a RTX 3080, I had to drop down to 1080p from 1440p and run everything on relatively low settings. Even then, it still sat well below 60 frame per second, on a system that is way overspecced for most modern games. This has to be one of the most poorly optimised games that I have ever played. It runs so poorly that I honestly feel like it's bloatware at this point. I played the original on PS4 and it certainly ran poorly there, but I never imagined that the sequel would run this terribly on PC."

That reads like a lot of hyperbole. I'll believe that when/if I experience it for myself.

I read two negative reviews a few minutes ago and neither said anything about graphics.

I didnt read any reviews, I just watched part of the one in video this thread is about. And by my perception he didnt like how game looks. So I made short point about how I think mainstream will receive game which has its strenghts hidden under ugly hood. So I dont care much about reviews on PB games, I expect the numbers will not be stellar. How the game really is I will find out for myself when I play it later. I dont expect it will be worse then first Elex, but Im prepared also for that possibility, it wouldnt be first bad game PB created. I just dont expect to find out from reviews, thats all.

Back
Top Bottom