The "I Just Bought" thread

I paid 640 EUR for it. Quite expensive (but remember these are Norwegian prices, prices are significantly higher here (so are wages)). I could definitely get a phone with better performance/functionality for that price and less. But the phone does what I need and I don't miss anything. And as said the other aspects are very important. I gladly pay what those things cost.

Perhaps the prices aren't quite yet back to normal? It seems to improve, or at least the availability is better, but we're not there yet. I was keeping an eye out for a Pixel 4 or 5, despite Google not willing to sell phones in Belgium, and a few months ago it was simply impossible to get any. Now I see Amazon have a few in stock… at a very high price.

I don't know that Fairphone brand, I applaude the fact you can still open the back and replace the battery (which has enough mAh to last longer than average). It looks good but too big for my pocket - I'm not talking about money anymore, just its plain size. ;)

Yes, Samsung is good quality but it's bloated with unnecessary apps. Not going back to them either.

... It looks good but too big for my pocket - I'm not talking about money anymore, just its plain size. ;)
Yep, it's huge and clumpy (don't know if that's the right word). 10 mm thick. But that's actually one of the things I like - like something to hold in my hand.

pibbuR who thinks he has bigger hand than mr. T.

That looks really interesting. It's a shame though that the quality of the camera isn't that good. I wonder if it is software or optics.
I know it is pricey for what it can do, but it is worth something to have a phone with actual replaceable parts and it being ethically manufactured. The capabilities of the phone are more than enough for me, with the exception of the camera that is.

Edit: Apparently it is software, as Fairphone are still working on improving it, although at a slow pace. I have read that other camera apps are unable to open up the potential of the camera because Fairphone isn't offering full support for it, which is a bit weird, as that would be a quick win for better camera support I would think.

Last edited:
Camera doesn't bother me, I very rarely take pictures using a phone, and then mostly for documentation purposes. I use an SLR camera if I want to take good pictures.

pibbuR

PS. Just took a picture from the mess in my den - no I'm not going to show it to you. Definitely good enough for me. DS.

I use an SLR camera as well, if I plan for it. But sometimes I am in a situation I wished I had my SLR with me and then the quality of the camera phone becomes a limiting factor.

Wow, that's pretty expensive for a mobile! I think I paid fifty for mine, it's a Motorola brand, which I keep divorced from the interwebs and simply use it as a phone and texting device. I know mine has a camera but I'll be fragged if I can figure out how to work the thing, lol! I will say this: the one you purchased sure does look nice. Mine kinda resembles an obtuse paper-weight of some sort. -p

Never heard of that brand, so it's likely not available down here. For us it's mainly samsung and apple, but I have neither; I hate the things. I like to talk face to face with people where possible and talk on a real phone when necessary, none of this silly texting!!!! :) Bah Humbug lol

Never heard of that brand, so it's likely not available down here. For us it's mainly samsung and apple, but I have neither; I hate the things. I like to talk face to face with people where possible and talk on a real phone when necessary, none of this silly texting!!!! :) Bah Humbug lol

Have they even installed phones in Queensland? Not always at the fore front of technology compared to Victoria. :biggrin:

BTW: Seems like they're not marketing it in the US.

That doesn't surprise me. A lot of Americans aren't interested in sustainability when it comes to things like smartphones. They prefer to trade in their phone every year so they can talk about how they have the latest and greatest model.

Wow, that's pretty expensive for a mobile! ...
As I said, prices in Norway are in general high compared to other countries. An Iphone 13 Pro 128 Gb will set you back around 1200EUR (1300 USD), and the average price of a new AAA like Elden Ring is 60EUR. OTOH, wages are also high, so we manage.

pibbuR who nevertheless won't spend 1300USD on a phone.

For a long time I didn't want a cell phone. Was a bit funny, because at the time there were sales persons pushing subscriptions on every street (almost). I used to go up to their stands, deliberately looking disinterested until one of them started paying attention. The resulting conversation invariably develpoed like this:

- "What cell phone subscription do you have?"
- "I don't have a cell phone. "
<long break>
- "But, isn't it nice to always be available?"
- "On the contrary, it's nice to be unavailabdle".
<long break>
- "You're right."

Obviously, I've changed my mind. I find that there are a lot of useful features besides talking on modern cell phones. I buy railway and bus tickets. There are maps and GPS. I have my complete music collection with me (14400 songs last time I counted). Kindle for books, Olive Tree for the Bible. Mathematica on line. An RPN scientific calculator. Excercise tracking. My driver's license.

Actually, a large part of Norwegian society now is adapted to people having cell phones and somethings are difficult to do without one.

A couple of years ago, on an interrail journey across Europe, I managed to enter the wrong train in Frankfurt@Germany (I tend to do that in Germany). So I had to rebook tickets, cancel hotel reservations and inform the wif about the change of plans. All the time while travelling at around 200 KPH towards Hamburg (in stead of Berlin). I find things like that practical.

But no social media, and no sharing of anything. And no gaming (except Sudoku and Mah Jongg).

pibbuR who very seldomly posts things on rpgwatch using the phone.

PS. One of my favourite apps:

I never understood the concept of gaming on smartphones. Sure, I occasionally play a puzzle game or a flashcard app to kill time when I have no other options, but their batteries is not really made for that.

PS. One of my favourite apps:

Was that intentional? ;)

BTW I'm glad to read someone else who uses an RPN calculator! I knew there were decent people here. :)

Was that intentional? ;)
Heh. I originally entered the RPN calculater in a PS, then decided to elevate it into the main part of the post. Not completely apparently.

BTW, in my Pibburworks framework I have programmed an RPN calculator (maybe because it's easier than infix expressions).

pibbuR post posted

PS: This PS is intentionally empty., DS.

Nod, I'm another that would never consider playing a game on a mobile. For me that's a device that's simply for talking or texting with someone else, never mind the smallish screen that would be involved in actually trying to play a game on such a thing.

I never understood the concept of gaming on smartphones. Sure, I occasionally play a puzzle game or a flashcard app to kill time when I have no other options, but their batteries is not really made for that.

Was that intentional? ;)

BTW I'm glad to read someone else who uses an RPN calculator! I knew there were decent people here. :)

Add one to the RPN calculator list!

Me too. Someone made the HP-15C calculator as an application for both Windows and Linux and I am using that on my work PC (Windows) and my personal PCs (Linux). I also have a version on my iPad. I have chosen for it because I also haven an actual working HP-15C calculator :)

My diploma thesis was:
"Automatic calculation and differentiation of functions in reverse polish notation."

Me too. Someone made the HP-15C calculator as an application for both Windows and Linux and I am using that on my work PC (Windows) and my personal PCs (Linux). I also have a version on my iPad. I have chosen for it because I also haven an actual working HP-15C calculator :)

It's an awesome calculator, I'm lucky enough to have one too, and an HP-41 that I bought much later. I loved HP calculators until they changed direction.

Enough people loved them enough for emulators to be made, like the one you mention, or physical products like SwissMicros' (although I wouldn't recommend anything other than their DM15L, the quality is anything but Swiss). HP themselves did a Limited Edition years later after fans begged for a return, and it was an emulator too (original code interpreted by an ARM CPU, I think). It's somewhat crazy, but why not. :)

Fans of HP calculators will love this site (but you probably know it): https://www.hpmuseum.org/

My diploma thesis was:
"Automatic calculation and differentiation of functions in reverse polish notation."

Quite the topic, was it a calculus library written in RPN?

Quite the topic, was it a calculus library written in RPN?

Yes, I've have developed a fast C-API that could convert functions in algebraic notation in RPN (which is basically a stack of operators and operands. This converted RPN-lists then could be

a) calculated
b) differentiated
c) optimized Example: ((4a * 3a)+2a*a) would be optimized to 14*a*a

c) is somewhat complicated - I implemented hundrets of optimzation-rules

a*1=a
a+0 = a
a*0=0
in RPN

Back
Top Bottom