Hard West 2 - Steam Page Up

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Steam page for Hard West 2 is now up and the game is being developed by Ice Code Games.

Blaze a trail back to the dark heart of the West in Hard West 2.

You are Gin Carter, a notorious outlaw with a reputation as dangerous as the frontier itself.

On the hunt for a big score, you hear talk that the legendary "Ghost Train" is heading your way loaded with federal gold. This is the one.

You swiftly assemble a posse of outlaws, some with guns, others with the kind of supernatural skills that make saloon bars fall silent in a split second.

Night falls and the posse rides out, silhouetted in the spectral light of the moon. Together, you transform the prairie into an ungodly land echoing with gunfire and the screams of the hunted.

But once on board the train, you discover it's not named the "Ghost Train" for nothing. What follows is the fight of your life through the uncharted badlands of the Hard West, propelled by bullets, witchcraft, and your pursuit of personal salvation at any cost.

Chase down the devil himself and take back what he stole -- your soul.

Game Features:

• THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UNDEAD: Folktales of the far West collide with the darkness of the occult in an unforgiving land riddled with as many demons as there are bullets.
  • CONQUER THE DARK FRONTIER: Explore the far reaches of the Wild West in a desperate fight to save your soul. Discover more about your posse as you wander the lands, from snow-covered vistas to frontier towns, struggling to survive in a merciless world. Make brutal choices and learn to live with the gruesome consequences.
  • SHOW YOUR BRAVADO: Rack up kills to activate your Bravado State and replenish your Action Points, as you roam the land taking down anyone -- or anything -- that gets in your way. Chain together stylish kills of multiple foes to extend your streak and shore up your reputation as a legendary gunslinger.
  • SUPERCHARGED POSSE: Unearth mysterious playing cards to build your posse's poker hands, and kit them out with punchier guns, explosives, trinkets, or just a square meal of beans and whiskey to keep them in top six-shooter shape.
  • UNNATURAL LEADER: Like it or not, responsibility for your growing posse of gunslinging outlaws, teleporting witches, and other mysterious beings lands at your boot-clad feet. But be careful who you listen to and what you ask them to do. The right choices lead to more Loyalty Points and useful new skills for those closest to you, but choosing poorly will test their commitment to your cause.
  • SHOOTOUTS ON THE MOVE: With projectiles of lead and witchcraft, the turn-based combat happens in dynamically shifting environments, keeping your brain as busy as your trigger finger. Let your imagination of Westerns run wild, from chases on horseback to tense train hold-ups, as you hone your strategic skills to a fine edge.
Thanks lolozaur!

More information.

LOVED the combat and setting in the first one, HATED the episodic nature, which killed any sense of progression and achievement.

I will have to see how they handle it for the second game before buying.

LOVED the combat and setting in the first one, HATED the episodic nature, which killed any sense of progression and achievement.

I will have to see how they handle it for the second game before buying.

totally agree!!
Yet the great combat and setting won over the game structure.
instant buy for me

It's another developer with very little credit for its last game so I'll wait for reliable reviews.

Maybe I'll try the first game one day though, the setting is interesting; not my favourite but one I haven't played before, it should be refreshing. It seems Weird West is very similar at first glance, like a real-time version of this, maybe they took some inspiration out of it?

I really like the setting, so I had backed the first game, but it was a bit dry. Hoping for more story-wise in this one.
Weird West also looks nice, but what I'd really love is a proper Deadlands computer game - that setting is just so rich and I could imagine really interesting stuff they could do with their "cards instead of dice" approach, taking it a lot further than the pnp does.

It seems Weird West is very similar at first glance, like a real-time version of this, maybe they took some inspiration out of it?

Maybe, but the genre itself has been around for a lot longer than that game. Deadlands, for example, has existed since 1996. The comic Weird Western Tales started in the 1970s. Joe Lansdale has been writing supernatural westerns since the 1980s. Etc.

First game was really good, yeah it had some issues though I had a blast while playing it. I look forward to seeing exactly what the sequel will deliver for us.

Maybe, but the genre itself has been around for a lot longer than that game. Deadlands, for example, has existed since 1996. The comic Weird Western Tales started in the 1970s. Joe Lansdale has been writing supernatural westerns since the 1980s. Etc.

The genre, yes, but both styles look very similar too. At first glance anyway, I haven't played Hard West. Maybe there just aren't many styles for a Western game. ;)

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Hard West 2 being a worthy successor just quite yet.
The Devs have nothing to do with the original Devs.

The Publisher Good Shepherd Entertainment owns the old catalogue of the original Dev CreativeForge Games (Hard West, Phantom Doctrine). Additionally Wikipedia says this:
"In April 2019, Good Shepherd Entertainment acquired a majority stake in Artificer, a Warsaw based game development studio founded by the core team responsible for Hard West and Phantom Doctrine. Artificer consists of over 30 team-members who have previously worked on numerous titles including the Call of Juarez and the Dead Island series."

Back in 2019 Status for Hard West 2 was this:
"As of February 2019, CreativeForge is working on two games: Hard West 2 is in development by an external team, with CreativeForge issuing the licence and publishing the game in exchange for 50% of its sales revenue [...]"

So Hard West 2 never was developed by the original team to begin with. The majority of old team members moved on to the Studio "Artificer". But this is NOT the Development team of Hard West 2. The game is being developed by "Ice Code Games", who are responsible for this abomination:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/782140/ReLegion/

What do you mean by style?

The visual style of the environment, of the characters, the menu a little bit (by squinting enough). Basically, comparing screenshots. I know, it's superficial.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Hard West 2 being a worthy successor just quite yet.
The Devs have nothing to do with the original Devs.
[/url]

Yeah, said that above but it didn't seem to bother anyone ;) I didn't check the history though, that's interesting. And not any more promising, unfortunately.

Purchased the first game near release but never played it much. I didn't like how abilities were tied to cards that you had to equip.

Purchased the first game near release but never played it much. I didn't like how abilities were tied to cards that you had to equip.

You really do hate cards. Couldn't you just pretend they were things rather than cards? (like a pistol instead of a card with a pistol on it). You equip items to gain abilities in countless games.

You really do hate cards. Couldn't you just pretend they were things rather than cards? (like a pistol instead of a card with a pistol on it). You equip items to gain abilities in countless games.

I don't mind an item giving me the ability to do something when it makes sense or there's an in-game explanation. i.e. magically imbued, etc. I thought the card thing was dumb though.

Same, purchased the game and lost interest quickly. I don't have a problem with cards tho, I just felt extreme boredom playing the game.

I also struggled to understand why they used cards. Just have a regular inventory for gods sake. Some designers just try to incorporate too many game styles into their games. Yeah I get that card/deck building games were all the rage about 5 years ago though.

Nod, the card choice was a decision for them that I never quite understood, and I know it didn't enhance my enjoyment of the first game. It didn't stop me from playing it, though it detracted as a mechanic you had to keep in mind, whether you liked it or not, it was pervasive.

Back
Top Bottom