Black Geyser - Release Day

If anyone has simple questions, I can likely answer for the first 3 or 4 maps. I will say do not multiclass if you want to be at all powerful. The game just tacked that idea on but did not implement it well. IIRC all companions are single-classed too.

I’ve just played it for 2 hours, and while the story/main quest is a bit lacklustre and trope’y, for the part I played. It does however have a nice fresh (non-D&D) settings/lore that give you that sense of adventuring and exploration awaiting you, just like it did when you first emerged in Waukeen’s Promenade in Athkatla, all those years ago.

I’ve just played it for 2 hours, and while the story/main quest is a bit lacklustre and trope’y, for the part I played. It does however have a nice fresh (non-D&D) settings/lore that give you that sense of adventuring and exploration awaiting you, just like it did when you first emerged in Waukeen’s Promenade in Athkatla, all those years ago.
Exactly my impression as well.

What a nice breath of fresh air.

Of course, it might still turn out completely broken, unbalanced, buggy, etc. later on, but so far I'm enjoying myself.

It is, however, obviously not a high budget title, so it would just be plain wrong to expect Pillars Of Eternity-levels of product quality in all aspects here.

There is a potential RPGWatch GotY here. It just wasn't made by some shitty company that old-timers can recognise and see everything positive about while ignoring every flaw and pegging it as "I can live with it".

Looks better then I expected and it seems first experiences around internet talk rather positively about it. Much looking forward to hear about experience from Watchers who already play it. Could it be surprise hit?

There is a potential RPGWatch GotY here. It just wasn't made by some shitty company that old-timers can recognise and see everything positive about while ignoring every flaw and pegging it as "I can live with it".

Love reading your smart-ass comments in every treads where people like a game that is not triple-A. Why does this site even bother covering games that are not made by Larian, Ubisoft, EA and the like, I wonder.

I was able to snag a 15% discount using the link in this youtubers video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Gooumo8Tw

That put me over the edge and I took the plunge yesterday.

So far quite enjoying. Agreed game is a bit simplistic and indie but it is quite polished; voice acting is decent, music is decent, no bugs so far. New setting is refreshing. I'm playing on veteran difficulty and have reached first major city without too much difficulty in combat so far. Some people might say it is easy but will be interesting to see if difficulty spikes. I was actually turned off by Pathfinder WOTR combat difficulty having to constantly rest/buff between every battle even with basic enemies. I am too stubborn to play on anything less than normal difficulty.

Played for 2.5 hours so far, just finished the into house. Created my own character & took a lot of time to try and read everything, etc.

Just one major bug so far:

During the intro battle sequence, the enemy mage got bugged to be immune to everything, but also not attack anything. So all the guards stood around whacking them for eternity & I was left wondering and wandering around thinking I should be doing something to progress the game. Nope, just bugged.

However, it went away after a reload. So not game breaking & possibly just charmingly funny & at least puts one on alert for bugs.

Otherwise, so far, so good. Though that's not saying a great deal at this stage, it kinda is, as it's done nothing yet to repel me in any way.

MortismalGaming review after 100% is there already, worth listening to before buying

MortismalGaming review after 100% is there already, worth listening to before buying

Well spotted, thanks! I'll put the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oh6OJkODpc

And WolfheartFPS' overview is already linked by @xanderhal; above, with the discount.

I'm usually watching their videos, they have a different perspective on games and they're usually both interesting. Mostismal is mostly focused on game mechanics, and WolfheartFPS looks at all the aspects but not as deep from a ruleset point of view.

Back
Top Bottom