Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e

Looking forward to play BG3 on release. Personally have zero problem with EA as I ignore games before full release and aside of noticing them Im not really reading any updates during development. But its quite clear to me out there is plenty of people interested to play unfinished projects and participate on betatesting and Im perfectly fine developers are taking advantage of this phenomenon.

Looking forward to play BG3 on release. Personally have zero problem with EA as I ignore games before full release and aside of noticing them Im not really reading any updates during development. But its quite clear to me out there is plenty of people interested to play unfinished projects and participate on betatesting and Im perfectly fine developers are taking advantage of this phenomenon.
You, go away with your rational and thoughtful statement!

If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.

If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.

I can understand this sentiment, but comparing past and present is not matter of black and white. In past information streams were centralised and vast majority of games were developed under large publishers. I suppose everything has pro and con in this world.

It depends. If the game comes out of the blue as you say, it's a pleasant surprise when it's released.

But when the cat is out of the bag, as it often is, it can be interesting or exciting to follow the development in the general lines too. And since the D&D was a big criticism of that game and a concern for many, I thought it would be welcome and suggested it.

The title is clear, at least that gives everyone the choice to read it or not. But despite that, it had to quickly derail to the EA topic again. So much for trying to be helpful, lesson learned.

At least it's something to rant about I guess. ;)

Wish-listed the game in steam for a long time. I'm still waiting for a decent sale but anyhow, I'm in no hurry since it's not the type of game I would want to play in EA.

The title is clear, at least that gives everyone the choice to read it or not. But despite that, it had to quickly derail to the EA topic again. So much for trying to be helpful, lesson learned.

At least it's something to rant about I guess. ;)

Don't take it negatively, it's nothing personal. If anything, for example in my case, I am very grateful of the job you do, with others, to relay lot of information every day.

I still think they came out of the wood way too early with that one but this doesn't reflect on you in any way :) I loved their last games and already bought this one because I know I will want to play it but when it's finished only.

What baffles me is the number of people playing this kind of games in EA, though. I am genuinely curious, what is the point? you spoil yourself, no feeling of discovery when the game gets finished, mechanisms will change..
Are you not afraid of getting tired of it before it's even complete?

Yes, others may enjoy the news. That does not mean those who are not interested have to be silent, they are free to say they are not interested, and also why they are not interested.

And you and others are free to keep sending these newsbits in, and news editors to post them.
The comments beneath a newsbit are no reflection of the amount of readers that are (not) interested in this kind of news.
There are more readers than writers.

I really value the work of the news editors and its one of the main reasons that I have spent so much time on this site the last 9 years. My comment was solely focused on Larian and this game, which I actually own, and hope to someday play. I just wish they'd spend less time on interviews and more time working on the game.

Last edited:
Indeed. I'm another that truly appreciates all the work that goes on here, even if it's not for a game that I'd enjoy, I certainly have made lots of purchasing decisions based on what I've learned at this site. May it never wane!

Don't take it negatively, it's nothing personal. If anything, for example in my case, I am very grateful of the job you do, with others, to relay lot of information every day.

I still think they came out of the wood way too early with that one but this doesn't reflect on you in any way :) I loved their last games and already bought this one because I know I will want to play it but when it's finished only.

What baffles me is the number of people playing this kind of games in EA, though. I am genuinely curious, what is the point? you spoil yourself, no feeling of discovery when the game gets finished, mechanisms will change..
Are you not afraid of getting tired of it before it's even complete?

Your earlier comment actually made me smile :D (and was on topic). Though I'm sure WolfheartFPS was already a big fan before they invited him so I don't think they needed to buy anything. From what I saw he's not really biased in his videos.

I don't take any of it personally (and I don't think HiddenX does either). I'm just perplexed. My point of view is just that of a reader, I note we can't expect to have a decent thread on any topic about several games that I like (BG3 is one of them), simply because the same selfish pattern occurs again and again. No big deal, I'll just avoid them here, I know it's not the right place for that anymore.

The point of EA or alpha/beta testing… I can't elaborate that since it would really send the thread over the edge. It's just a different experience, for sure. As for BG3 I only tried it at the beginning like Pladio and others, because I was curious, but I'm waiting until the release too.

The differences from D&D were bothering me a little bit at first when I saw them, but I'm sure they'll manage to make it enjoyable, if not entirely faithful.

It seems like we have this discussion in every BG3 thread. However I just can't resist to answer.

But... you still can do exactly this! It's not that your brain is hard-wired to the RPGWatch newsfeed force-pressing the infos into your mind.
You can just not click on BG3's newsbits, or (like me) just browser the thread and see if the fellow watchers filtered some remarkable infos.

I have lost track what this thread is about.

The vast amount of our readers do not go any further than the front page.
(No matter how good the title, no matter how interesting/enthusiastic the comments are. No matter how much popcorn is being eaten.)
And there are times, now is one of them, I just wish I was one of those readers.

I am taking the evening/night off. Fighting tiresome flashbacks that I got after reading the above.

Last edited:
But… you still can do exactly this! It's not that your brain is hard-wired to the RPGWatch newsfeed force-pressing the infos into your mind.
You can just not click on BG3's newsbits, or (like me) just browser the thread and see if the fellow watchers filtered some remarkable infos.

It is a good point but it is also a bit more naunced than that.

RPGWatch is also a community and members like to be involved in the discussions. People don't want to be left out sometimes.

Also Baldurs Gate is one of the premier franchises (Top 5 for most of us) in the cRPG community. It naturally draws your attention even if you don't want it to.

I do still feel like BG3 does have a sense of suprise for people who haven't played it in the EA. The good news is that they don't really get into the story all that much. I find it a little bit unfortunate that I know how the adventure starts but that is pretty much all I know and I plan to keep it that way. It's good that RPGWatch hasn't posted any significant spoilers yet.

We need more canned statements in this thread.

Why would you have a genuine opinion, if you can aim to get +1 from a random person on the internet?

Here is mine: Baldur's Gate 3 will be fun for the people who like it. It will not be fun for the people who don't like it. I am making sense and adding good punctuation to my sentences. Sometimes a thing is more than the sum of its parts. You miss all the shots you don't take. I am such a good forum contributor. How thrilling.

It is a good point but it is also a bit more naunced than that.

RPGWatch is also a community and members like to be involved in the discussions. People don't want to be left out sometimes.

Also Baldurs Gate is one of the premier franchises (Top 5 for most of us) in the cRPG community. It naturally draws your attention even if you don't want it to.
I can understand that. If it was for me, the BG3 "drip news" could just disappear from the watch. But as Eye pointed out, there are for sure a lot readers who like these news.
And it's easer for me to just not read them than for these other readers to search for the news elsewhere.

It's good that RPGWatch hasn't posted any significant spoilers yet.
Yep, that's really important.

I don't like 5th edition D&D, period. There was nothing wrong or difficult to understand about THAC0, it just is a sad reflection on the dumbing down of society, in general.
(That some find this "too difficult" - a straightforward combat system mechanic - to understand.

I think D&D, as it has "evolved", just my general impressions are, it has gotten worse, not better.

It is a good thing to have rigid and specific class abilities and requirements in order to make each class distinct and unique, in my opinion, for an example. Watering down this concept, by making classes more able to use abilities, spells and themes from other classes, just makes the whole system worse and is the opposite of the correct direction. *end of mini-rant* :biggrin:

It is a good thing to have rigid and specific class abilities and requirements in order to make each class distinct and unique, in my opinion, for an example. Watering down this concept, by making classes more able to use abilities, spells and themes from other classes, just makes the whole system worse and is the opposite of the correct direction. *end of mini-rant* :biggrin:

I thought the idea of 5E was to make characters more customizable with feats & abilities, which are more significant than before, instead of a multitude of subclasses?

I enjoy the more versatile classes, but I find it somewhat watered down in general too. I prefer the complexity of 3E or Pathfinder, except there's too much buffing/debuffing.

Maybe 5E is better for board games where you can really RP a personality with its flaws & qualities. Video games don't have this dimension.

I thought the idea of 5E was to make characters more customizable with feats & abilities, which are more significant than before, instead of a multitude of subclasses?

I enjoy the more versatile classes, but I find it somewhat watered down in general too. I prefer the complexity of 3E or Pathfinder, except there's too much buffing/debuffing.

Maybe 5E is better for board games where you can really RP a personality with its flaws & qualities. Video games don't have this dimension.

I am not sure what the main idea of 5E is, to be honest, I don't play D&D for decades now.

I was just stating my general impressions from what I have read and seen of the new editions of D&D. I do know there was a revival of 3rd edition of D&D and I think it was because a response to this new version of D&D that many people didn't like.

And I think Pathfinder also was a response to that, if I'm not mistaken, and I like the Pathfinder system from what I have seen in the Kingmaker video game and reading about it.

I do agree with you about the difference between video game rules, specifically the limitations, and possible changes that need to be done, and what is better or makes more sense for a tabletop type game session.

I am not sure what the main idea of 5E is, to be honest, I don't play D&D for decades now.

I was just stating my general impressions from what I have read and seen of the new editions of D&D. I do know there was a revival of 3rd edition of D&D and I think it was because a response to this new version of D&D that many people didn't like.

And I think Pathfinder also was a response to that, if I'm not mistaken, and I like the Pathfinder system from what I have seen in the Kingmaker video game and reading about it.

I think you're right about Pathfinder, from what I read it spun out because 4E had too many changes and felt too different, being made by WoC a few years after they bought TES.

The Open Gaming Licence by WoC on 3 & 3.5 allowed many 3rd-party adventures (Paizo was making some of them) and people kept playing 3 and 3.5. Then Pathfinder branched out from there to address some issues (according to this old link).

I read that 5E was created to give the original feeling back, ironically, and undo the changes in 4E.

Back
Top Bottom