Shadowrun Trilogy - Gets Switch, PlayStation, Xbox Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer reports that The Shadowrun Trilogy is being released for Switch, Playstation, and Xbox on June 21st.

Paradox will launch a Shadowrun Trilogy compilation for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S on 21st June.

This will contain Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong, previously released on PC, now with "upscaled graphics, improved performance and controller-optimised gameplay".

Originally developed by Jordan Weisman's Harebrained Schemes, the turn-based cyberpunk trilogy first arrived for PC between 2013 and 2015. Mobile versions have also been available - but never console editions. Until now!

[...]
More information.

You didn't hear Paradox needs cash after they almost collapsed last year. They replaced the companies CEO over Bloodlines 2, and cancelled many in development games.

This is a way to make an easy port for cash that's all.

You didn't hear Paradox needs cash after they almost collapsed last year. They replaced the companies CEO over Bloodlines 2, and cancelled many in development games.

This is a way to make an easy port for cash that's all.
But will people even buy games like this and this old on a console?

Hey, anything that gets good games into the hands of more people, that I'm all behind with doing. And these are excellent games, I'm sure they'll do ok sales, even on consoles. They should also do quite well on the Switch.

But will people even buy games like this and this old on a console?

Why wouldn't they? Lots of people buy old games.

Hell, I'm going to play it on my xbox through gamepass.

Is it just me or would 8 year old games not really be good to play anymore on a console?

I don't know as I don't own a switch but feels a bit odd.

I've played these when they came out and I might pick them up again for my Switch. Anecdotal, but there you go.

I've played and enjoyed all three. If I had a complaint it's that they don't have a lot of replay value. At least not for me. But if they gain some revenue from this port, good for them.

Is it just me or would 8 year old games not really be good to play anymore on a console?

Anybody who's playing games mostly on consoles has already compromised their gaming integrity so age of game really isn't a factor.

Plus it's not that different from decade old console games finally getting ported to PC. Somebody wants and buys this stuff.

And unlike many other games, the replay value in the Shadowrun series is rather robust, as long as you enjoy working with different builds and such. As long as the price point isn't silly, this is an elegant solution.

While the modding community never really took off for these games anywhere near what NWN had, there were still some really good modules made with the editor. I'm guessing the console version won't be able to play them which is a real shame.

But yeah I'm glad the console kiddies will finally get a chance to play these games.

Anybody who's playing games mostly on consoles has already compromised their gaming integrity so age of game really isn't a factor.

Plus it's not that different from decade old console games finally getting ported to PC. Somebody wants and buys this stuff.

Paying on a console affected their gaming integrity? What a lame comment.

Paying on a console affected their gaming integrity? What a lame comment.
You have to excuse him as he's apparently a PC Gaming Snob and PC only Developer.:)

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know it had gone that bad for them, but then that's what you get for hiring a bunch of idiots to do the follow up to one of the most acclaimed RPGs ever :'(
Yeah it happened last year as the last CEO wanted to turn the company into something it never was. She wanted to attract larger developers for their various IP's.

That irked the board and it's investors as she spent a lot of capital they didn't have. In the end she was ousted, and replaced by the companies original founder.

His first act was to reevaluate Bloodlines 2 development, canceled many promising projects, go back to old way of managing, and focusing on niche games again.

Yeah it happened last year as the last CEO wanted to turn the company into something it never was. She wanted to attract larger developers for their various IP's.

That irked the board and it's investors as she spent a lot of capital they didn't have. In the end she was ousted, and replaced by the companies original founder.

Do you have some info source about it?

I have theory that this CEO was somehow involved with Bloodlines 2 development debacle.

Over the years there were several experienced devs/writers kicked out of Bloodlines 2, Mitsoda was just the first one. Probably 1 year ago I checked who was left in the writing team and found out that with one exception (writer who had some experience) it was pretty inexperienced team of newcomers (mostly females). I think two of them did some testing in the past but no writing, two others did some writing for bigger Fallout 4 mods but no commercial game (and probably already knew each other).
It seemed even more suspicious to me because I dont believe that Paradox would dispose of several experienced devs and put so much trust into inexperienced team in case of such story-heavy and important IP.

I had a theory that there was some kind of nepotism involved or gender preference or just ignorance of that CEO. Maybe there was some clash about artistic vision and these newcomers become overly ambitious and wanted to take over the project and more or less ignore the first game (otherwise I wouldnt believe they would dispose of Mitsoda and others involved with the first game). And this CEO was careless and let them. But it eventually crumbled under their inexperienced hands. Just a theory.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. If the bundle is priced right, I think it will appeal to a decent amount of console gamers looking for old-school type crpgs. I also think these are games that will easily transition to being played with a controller.

There's also the idea that at one time in the past, more Western-style turn-based RPGs wouldn't have great appeal in the console market but that's been changing. So anytime that kind of game can get released on console, it hopefully helps broaden the desire for those kind of games - and I think that's a good thing for the PC market. It hopefully encourages development of these kinds of games from devs who were less certain they'd see enough revenue in the only the PC space; now they have an option to hopefully make some further dollars on the console side as well with a broader market for their games.

Just a quick question how do you upscale graphics better then a pc on a console?
This will contain Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong, previously released on PC, now with "upscaled graphics, improved performance and controller-optimised gameplay".
That has got to be just marketing to appeal to console buyers.:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom