What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

This seems to be a regular thing with you, the whole reviewing movies in small chunks thing. It's something new and novel that I've never seen before.

I get that watching movies in chunks is a thing, I do it myself sometimes. But rushing to tell people about the chunks prior to having seen the whole is something entirely new to me.

45 mins of The Batman represents 25% of the movie. You could start a whole new craze of episodic reviews of single movies. It would be quite difficult to keep it fresh though as "so far it's good enough to keep watching" would likely be a common episode-end review.

We already do it for games, so why not for movies?
Length is in the eye of the beholder. :D

Fine, fine, fine, I'll give it a go.

Well, I thought I'd give an episode of Tom and Jerry a go. I only managed one minute as I got called to dinner after 53 seconds, but what I saw of it was ok to be honest.

The theme music is so nostalgic, I'd forgotten just how bombastic and earwormy it is, I've been humming it ever since! I liked how they've drawn Tom, much better than how they used to, though I'm not totally convinced on the ears.

I thought the broom handle falling off while Tom had it raised above his head to whack Jerry, thereby whacking Tom instead was a great opening gag, but doesn't quite match that time Tom moved the mouse hole causing Jerry to run into the wall.

If I get time later I'll certainly be looking to see some more of this.

Hmm. You know, you may be on to something here! This is quite fun. It adds an element of hype to the remaining 4 minutes I wouldn't have otherwise experienced! :)

I was really picky even as a kid. Shocking, I know. The Flinstones were one of the programs I used to tune in for the theme music but then switch over about a minute or less into the episode. I thought Fred was a bit of a nob *shrugs*. It also seemed to be going for the jokes in terms of presenting itself as a comedy but usually spent most of the episode on banal soap opera stuff with the odd one-liner over-bellowed by horrific canned laughter. Yuck, too much for me.

Great theme tune though.

I loved the chemistry between Fred and Barney. Great stuff. Especially when they're stepping on each other's toes. As a kid I had no idea that the episodes were grouped in seasons and aired in a particular order. I rewatched them all as an adult, and really enjoyed them. It was also a great blast of nostalgia.

I liked The Flintstones as a kid, and later preferred The Honeymooners, which is the same show.

Never cared for Tom & Jerry much. I preferred Looney Tunes.

Looking through Hanna Barbera's back catalogue, they were very hit and miss with me. While I found something like The Flinstones bordering on unwatchable, I'd find myself glued to some of their other stuff. A tentative top 10:

1. Wacky Races
2. Scooby Doo, Where Are You!
3. Fantastic Four
4. Hong Kong Phooey
5. Top Cat
6. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
7. Dastardly and Mutley in their Flying Machines
8. The New Schmoo
9. The Yogi Bear Show (sometimes)
10. Harlem Globetrotters (I think I caught an episode or two)

It's amazing how many great cartoons Hanna-Barbera produced:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hanna-Barbera_characters

Some of the ones not mentioned yet, which I really liked:
2 Stupid Dogs (1993–1995)
Cow and Chicken (1997–1999)
Dexter's Laboratory (1996–2003)
I Am Weasel (1997–2000)
The Jetsons (1962–1987)
Johnny Bravo (1997–2004)
Jonny Quest (1964–1965)
SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1993–1994)

That made me do a double take! I certainly didn't remember Jetson cartoons running for 25 years. ;)

wikipedia said:
It originally aired in prime time from September 23, 1962 to March 17, 1963 on ABC, then later aired in reruns via syndication. New episodes were produced from 1985 to 1987 as part of The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera block

Indeed, there was a massive gap, but they did air some new ones later on apparently.

af8f366d7f23b59c5456cf316a65400f6dff816496be01af8ae6ced56e950bd6._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Not sure why, but I stumbled onto this one on Netflix. It was ok for the most part, but very slow and didn't really got anywhere too interesting. It was also kind of naive, at least for these, in how it handled the subject matter. I also didn't get some of the things it was probably trying to say, or I just didn't follow. But one thing I did like was the atmosphere. That was pretty nice, and I also liked some of the locations. Otherwise, pretty average.

Ninth Gate was one of Depps better movies along with Sleepy Hollow, and From Hell. Most of the hollywood media ignore those earlier films in every interview/ new review.

As for Ninth Gate Depps character was the chosen one that was the whole point.

I quite enjoyed From Hell, didn't really care for that version of Sleepy Hollow, and have yet to see Ninth Gate. I do tend to enjoy most of Polanski's works so I know I'll be giving it a view sometime.

Red Sparrow

A Cold War spy movie starring Jennifer Lawrence. I didn't find it very compelling, and I actually dozed off several times during the course of the film. The only actor I really liked in it was Jeremy Irons. It does have a pretty good plot twist at the end though.

I quite enjoyed From Hell, didn't really care for that version of Sleepy Hollow, and have yet to see Ninth Gate. I do tend to enjoy most of Polanski's works so I know I'll be giving it a view sometime.

Having read From Hell, I didn't think much of the film. It was such a simplified, lurid, shrunk down version of it.

Last night I watched Wrath of Man, a recent Ritchie flick. It started off kind of slow, yet got much better in thirty minutes, lots of action and stuff going on that you had to pay attention to. Not sure it's a movie I'd ever re-watch, at least I got through it, which seems to be a major accomplishment these days.

Finally got around to viewing Quiet Place two last night, I thought it was fairly good, and it was nice to see what happened to the town initially when the invasion/event first happened. They could have done a whole film on that imo, spinning out eventually to show how it all happened throughout the state/country/world. If there is another film I'll hope to learn even more backstory.

Back
Top Bottom