RPGWatch Feature - Black Geyser Review

I said it before and I'll say it again. One does not go to jail for having poor taste in video games.
I promise that I will visit you in jail, when the legal situation changes in that regard.

All reviews are subjective and some people seem to feel superior by slapping down other people's taste/preferance as "poor" ;)

While I don't always agree with Watcher's review, I still enjoy reading them - especially for games which I was on borderline of trying out.

In case of Geyser, I was very disappointed with the demo and will pass on it but glad some people got enjoyment out of it.

All reviews are subjective and some people seem to feel superior by slapping down other people's taste/preferance as "poor" ;)

While I don't always agree with Watcher's review, I still enjoy reading them - especially for games which I was on borderline of trying out.

In case of Geyser, I was very disappointed with the demo and will pass on it but glad some people got enjoyment out of it.

I agree there are also people who will try to tell you that there is a proper taste for food and music as well. As if everyone should like something if the ingrediants our fresh and expensive and the cook is technically sound. Or that all niche music like say heavy metal, industrial, or experimental jazz is garbage and that quality music is only that where the musician has reached a level of technical skill or that is be recorded in an expensive studio by an experienced producer.

One the review has been made, the site demands a score to be selected. 5/5 will be rare because, well, it's doubtful the game will be perfect
5/5 does not automatically mean "perfect".
It means that you have 5 buckets (or 6 if 0 is allowed) and a 5/5 game is in the best bucket.

Also for the rating system on the watch it's explicitely written that 5/5 does not mean flawless.

The nature of the process.

@forgottenlor;e had a phase where he approached it sort of like a job and tried to review every indy game he tried, giving out a few 3/5s, but, as you can imagine, the motivation to keep doing that wasn't very strong.

Not every game I tried, but every game I finished. There were some ones I found intensely boring or just plain bad and didn't bother finishing. If I did there would have been some 2 and 1 star reviews as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again. One does not go to jail for having poor taste in video games. Which is the proper way to say what others disguise with polite canned statements like "tastes are a personal thing" or "if you're having fun, and you're not hurting anyone, then it's all good".

A lot of poor tastes around here, but they are not harming anyone, so knock yourself out.

Nereida, I know you mean well. I wonder if your point would be also be made if instead of "poor tastes" you just said "uncommon" or "peculiar"? Yes, it is certainly true that the majority of gamers would look disdainfully at some of the games RPGWatchers play, like Black Geyser, but surely you are insightful enough to know that there are people out there with peculiar tastes?

It would just be a nicer way of saying it and still get your point across and you are part of this small community. We can all be friends :p Also, since I know you like Baldurs Gate I know you aren't all bad.

The demo is weak, yes, especially the second area with the Witch's hut.
However imho the game gets a lot better when it opens up afterwards and you come to the big city and start to explore from there.
It's not a superb game, but quite enjoyable. Perhaps you can give it another chance when it's on a sale or something.

Nereida, I know you mean well. I wonder if your point would be also be made if instead of "poor tastes" you just said "uncommon" or "peculiar"? Yes, it is certainly true that the majority of gamers would look disdainfully at some of the games RPGWatchers play, like Black Geyser, but surely you are insightful enough to know that there are people out there with peculiar tastes?

It would just be a nicer way of saying it and still get your point across and you are part of this small community. We can all be friends :p Also, since I know you like Baldurs Gate I know you aren't all bad.

It's difficult for me to sugar coat my statements, for several reasons.

One reason is that sugar coating is lame. It just disguises what you are trying to say, it's deceptive, and it's false.

Another is that it lacks character. I am a person that despises the world of PR we live in, canned statements to appease as many people as possible. I like to be genuine, even if that eludes the zone of comfort of some users. The forum has a ignore option for those that can't stomach it.

Another reason is that I've been addressed in pejorative ways and name called and directly insulted time and time again, had people questioning my mental state or the worth of my life, someone directly insulted my creativity knowing that I am professional artist. Because none of those people know the first thing about me, I accept that those things were said to me, and because they seem to fall within the forum rules, I feel it's fair for me to tell them to others. There is this beautiful moment in which deliberate troll posters that insult others on regular basis turn to the moderators to beg them to censor my posts because I am being offensive to them within the rules that they stretch themselves with every post they make, but they can't stand it. And to me that is the stuff of heavens.

Ultimately, one is offended only if they choose to. If you felt offended either I wasn't addressing you and you shouldn't, or I was addressing you and you deserve it.

My conscience is clear.

EDIT/PS: The game has a 54% positive reviews in Steam. That means from users who actually own the game giving their impression on it. If you read a bit through it, you gather how the quality of the game and its systems are subpar, obtuse, and not well executed.

It's by definition a poor game ("of a low or inferior standard or quality", as per the dicionary). Liking something that is poor makes for a poor taste, or a taste in things of poor quality. I am not being offensive, I am using the correct words to define something without bias.

Last edited:
That's all very fascinating there @Nereida; but you've now written 505 words over three posts to this thread without ever once making reference to the actual game.

You've said you have an opinion on it. Ok. You've said other people have an opinion on it. Ok.

But you haven't actually provided any reference to suggest you've even played the game. Which is the stand out weird thing.

There are quite regularly reviews on games here where I don't even read the review, let alone comment on them, because the game simply isn't my bag.

So, are we to assume that this game IS your bag, but that you don't, personally, like it? For reasons that have something to do with your experiences with the game?

Or is this just another opportunity to vent a spleen of some far distant disagreement you had with someone/some people months ago?

What are you hoping to achieve by participating in your rage against this game you haven't played nor have any interest in ever playing?

That's all very fascinating there @Nereida; but you've now written 505 words over three posts to this thread without ever once making reference to the actual game.

You've said you have an opinion on it. Ok. You've said other people have an opinion on it. Ok.

But you haven't actually provided any reference to suggest you've even played the game. Which is the stand out weird thing.

There are quite regularly reviews on games here where I don't even read the review, let alone comment on them, because the game simply isn't my bag.

So, are we to assume that this game IS your bag, but that you don't, personally, like it? For reasons that have something to do with your experiences with the game?

Or is this just another opportunity to vent a spleen of some far distant disagreement you had with someone/some people months ago?

What are you hoping to achieve by participating in your rage against this game you haven't played nor have any interest in ever playing?

This is my bad, as I edited it too late into my last post, but I'll paste it again.

EDIT/PS: The game has a 54% positive reviews on Steam. That means from users who actually own the game giving their impression on it. If you read a bit through it, you gather how the quality of the game and its systems are subpar, obtuse, and not well executed.

It's by definition a poor game ("of a low or inferior standard or quality", as per the dicionary). Liking something that is poor makes for a poor taste, or a taste in things of poor quality. I am not being offensive, I am using the correct words to define something without bias.

5/5 does not automatically mean "perfect".
It means that you have 5 buckets (or 6 if 0 is allowed) and a 5/5 game is in the best bucket.

Also for the rating system on the watch it's explicitely written that 5/5 does not mean flawless.

Well I wouldn't call this game what 5/5 describes as a 5/5, would you?

And I doubt I'd be motivated to write a review of a game I thought was 3/5.

So, if the last 3 reviews were all 4/5, should I rate it something else just because @largh; is bored of seeing 4/5 reviews?

I mean, it's a pretty weird issue to bring into the discussion really isn't it. It's fairly self-explanatory and most people replied to largh at the same time with the same response (or, to save pedantry, essentially the same response), suggesting the answer was obvious anyway.

So perhaps largh could express why s/he's bored of seeing 4/5 reviews? Perhaps s/he's got an interesting point in there somewhere that might be worth getting pedantic over?

This is my bad, as I edited in too late on my last post, but I'll paste it again.

Oh, I included that. That's just other people's opinions on the game, not your own.

Perhaps you can give it another chance when it's on a sale or something.

I would be comfortable suggesting this game probably isn't @purpleblob's bag necessarily at this point in time.

From what I've read of blob's gaming preferences over the years is that blob values character interaction very highly indeed, and, as stated in the review, it's that kind of preference that's probably going to be the most disappointed at this point in time as things like party banter and evolved party member quests are something that's being expanded on at a later date rather than being in the currently available version.

I'd recommend someone like blob waiting for when that future development comes into being.

Sorry, @purpleblob1; (forgot you changed you name, lol)

Oh, I included that. That's just other people's opinions on the game, not your own.

To me your opinion is also just other people's opinion that adds a +1 to the existing 400 in the Steam review pool. It wouldn't even be enough to nudge the score a 0.1 in any direction and as such, inconsequential.

Whether I played the game or not does not matter in defining the game. If I played it and liked it, it would still be a poor game by definition, without bias factored in. And in that unlikely scenario in which I liked the game (I can tell it's a shitshow meant to leech on the Baldur's Gate nostalgia train) I would just join you in having a poor taste.

635 words and no mention of the game's contents.

Well I wouldn't call this game what 5/5 describes as a 5/5, would you?
I didn't want to do anything besides pointing out that 5/5 doesn't mean perfect. ;)

it's a shitshow meant to leech on the Baldur's Gate nostalgia train

You mean like how every roguelike ever is somehow just a nostalgia leech on the game entitled Rogue?

And, no, it's not a shitshow. It's a full game that works from beginning to end with the odd minor bug here and there.

Now, if you provided actual details, you know, about the actual game, that you've had issue with while playing, then, well, that would make for an interesting conversation. Or maybe an interesting opinion that might not even need reply.

Sadly you just seem to be repeating yourself. Moving nothing forward, adding nothing new nor interesting. Hate for the sake of hate for a game you haven't even stated why you're even interested in following the news of.

Back
Top Bottom