RPGWatch Feature - Black Geyser Review

Anyone looking for details about the game would do well to look up proper, qualified reviewers, and watch a video or two on top. Just saying.

The existence of this review doesn't preclude that and you're ceaselessly pointless replies do not aid that.

You have read that some other people have rated the game negatively and you have pointed that out.

You're still not actually talking about the game, which is the poorest fom of posting possible. For someone so interested in the concept of quality, the irony is fascinating. Those in glass houses and all that ;)

I feel the beef is with people being too proud to admit they like poor products, not with the word itself. To a lot of people "getting along" is more important than being blunt with facts, and I accept that, I just don't share that view of the world in which everyone has to walk on eggshells in case someone might feel offended. I could feel offended about many things, and I choose not to. Those who do can either stop being manbabies or whine on some internet forums about mean people using words that are too hurtful to their feeble feelings.

The last off-topic for me in this thread (sorry for distracting it): it perhaps does not matter anonymous behind a nick-name on an internet forum, but you have probably noticed that in real-life it is equally important how you say things than what you say. The "how" partly can define your success in (work)life. Being kind to others often brings kindness back. Karma it is called…

Anyone looking for details about the game would do well to look up proper, qualified reviewers, and watch a video or two on top. None of which can be found in this thread.

Now I cannot say since I have not played the game (might try it when it has been patched up and balanced), but certainly lackblogger's review counts as one qualified opinion? All reviews are opinions and no opinion can be entirely objective no matter how professional the reviewer. Hence it goes without saying that one should check multiple sources when scoping what *your* opinion about the game could be.

Again, there is no need to be defensive about it or to indoctrinate people about what comments are worth more or less. I am advocating for people to get well informed, with neutral, unbiased, qualified reviews. It's a great way to go about everything in life, and it's hard to argue against it.

Only sects and other malicious organisms tell people to take their word as truth and try to prevent them from finding other more qualified, contrasted sources of knowledge elsewhere.

Again, there is no need to be defensive about it or to indoctrinate people about what comments are worth more or less.

The vast majority of posters in this thread have rated your contributions 'poor', ergo, you are, factually, a very poor poster :(

Assuming you hold yourself to your own standards that is?

Now I cannot say since I have not played the game (might try it when it has been patched up and balanced), but certainly lackblogger's review counts as one qualified opinion? All reviews are opinions and no opinion can be entirely objective no matter how professional the reviewer.

Agreed, but you need formation, credentials, and certain skills to be a qualified reviewer. For example, if Michelin chose random people who like food a lot to do their star reviews, their ratings wouldn't be a staple of the culinary industry. I tend to trust more a Michellin review over someone on YouTube with 17 views saying "my grandmother's lasagna is the best in the world".

The vast majority of posters in this thread have rated your contributions 'poor', ergo, you are, factually, a very poor poster :(

Assuming you hold yourself to your own standards that is?

It's funny, because I am being told differently by people who actually matter in these boards, so my posting ego is all boosted.

Regardless, I didn't message the mods to make a thread about my posting to preach it around. This thread is about a review on a videogame, so those are the things that are being qualified, the review, and the videogame. If you were not ready to deal with the opinions on it, and you'd be desperately trying to deflect the attention elsewhere, you shouldn't have exposed yourself to it.

I define my opinion by myself, and my opinion does not affect the objective quality of a product.

I thought you didn't care about what the majority think, only about what you think, that's why I found it funny you decided to speak for everyone else putting words in their mouth that they didn't say to gain a false sense of majority on something that is not even a topic. Hypocrite much.

Again, if you are unable to handle negative opinions on your "review", or the game you are reviewing, you shouldn't have exposed yourself to it. Writing biased, poorly structured reviews is fine since you're not a professional. Getting desperately defensive when being told about it, that's not fine.

But then, what else could you expect.

ImageDetail_e370bbb2-8d24-4eae-92af-f066a66b22a2_ThreeByOne

@Mythros - when you do end the site, any chance you could split this thread off into a pocket dimension so that Lackblogger and Nereida can continue their argument until the end of time?

@Mythros - when you do end the site, any chance you could split this thread off into a pocket dimension so that Lackblogger and Nereida can continue their argument until the end of time?

:lol:

'Tis true, it's gone too far. I'm done. Promise.

My suggestion for you guys and gals:

Discuss gameplay elements of the game in this way:

Name of the gameplay element: (for example) combat
My personal preference for this element is: (for example) turn-based with many tactical options
The game implements this element in this way: ..
I like it, because these are IMO the strengths of this implementation: ..
I don't like, because these are IMO the weaknesses of this implementation: ..

In this way we get a way more factual discussion about the game, with your own preferences included.

Unfortunately I can't discuss with you, because I still have to play this game.

Did the greed system "spoil looting" as some were concerned in that thread?
No, from what I noticed, players who play the game love to loot. There is a daily (and non-sponsored) vid on YouTube from some influencer who also plays Pathfinder but enjoys Black Geyser a lot. He loots really a lot of loot (no pun intended).

I find way more disgusting people trying to convince others to spend their money on something that's not worth it. More than disgusting, it's despicable. You know who else tries to convince people to spend money on things that are not worth it? Scammers and con-men. Luckily everyone is already aware of it, seeing the number of players this game has on Steam.
If you don't have the means or the tools to make a good game, then don't try to make it anyway and then look up with big puppy eyes begging for tips because what you made is objectively awful. Especially when you are not even trying to make anything of your own, just copying a successful formula with the same "BG" acronym, and piggybacking on the recent trend created by other companies like Obsidian or Larian. Zero creativity, zero talent, zero expertise. You will find no sympathy from me.
First of all, no one wants to convince others to buy a game. Also, genuine criticism (and there is plenty, rightfully!) is fine about Black Geyser. But criticism doesn't mean you should harm the efforts of indie by toxic malicious comments - also by actually trying to convince people NOT to buy the game even when they haven't yet tried themselves. That's call an unholy crusade. Malice. Genuine criticism is something else.

Also, just noticed some posts here attack the PERSON of lackblogger, i.e. trying to discredit lackblogger as a reviewer (saying there isn't enough experience, standards etc.) Well, now this is a common and malicious method to nullify a point. INSTEAD of criticizing the CLAIMS lackblogger wrote in the review, they attack lackblogger's person. Lackblogger, I think these two ladies just don't like the game based on emotional basis, and confuse that with actual rational, logical arguments. There is no reason to argue with them any more. @bkrueger; noticed this as well.

That was my main thought as I read their post. In my opinion, they're selling indie studios short. There are lots of really brilliant games out there that were made by small teams with small budgets.
This is a very common misbelief by those who don't really understand the depths of game industry. Different games require different budgets, regardless what team creates them. Do you think an RTwP RPG such as Black Geyser or Pillars of Eternity requires the same amount of coding as (your example) Vagrus which is basically a 2D game with lot of 2D drawing? But this is engineering-coding question, I don't expect you to know about it. I have Software Programmer / Engineer friends so I know what I'm talking about.

That's one hell of a generalisation.
Just because I have harsh opinion on 1 game, apparently I have no sympathy and empathy and killing indie games.
[..]
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and it sounds like you are upset someone doesn't support 1 indie game but don't go around making absurd generalisation because that's toxic.

Your answer completely confirmed my suspicion. Exactly because you haven't disproved my original, main claim, which wasn't a generalization: that you said you don't care that Black Geyser has much less smaller resources because there is market competition and Pillars of Eternity is its direct competitor so there is no reason to be forgiving. Oh, sorry, you actually just explained this by saying you didn't like Black Geyser. That is, emotional approach… for a rational opinion. Too bad there is no logic here. I mean: "I have a harsh option on this particular indie" ---> "this indie should not get any forgiving/realistic understanding when comparing to Pillars of Eternity despite the fact the latter project had 10x more resources, because there is market competition". Got it. You feel entitled to approach the game unfairly because you don't like it. That's logic indeed.

Also, Nereida wasn't telling correct information yesterday about Black Geyser Steam reviews (I'm saying this carefully, with the assumption it wasn't deliberate - which is almost as bad as the other scenario, since it means Nereida forms an opinion about something without actually checking the facts). As a close follower (and regular bug reporter), I can confirm Black Geyser never ever had an overall Steam rating 54% review score or even anything near to it. It has been constantly between 69% and 82% since its Early Access release. It's currently 69-70%, so just 1% away from Mostly Positive (last week, it was Mostly Positive). UPDATE: I see Nereida updated the numbers today. Which are still not true. The game is on 69% on Steam. The daily "Most recent" reviews change often, because it shows the last 30 days so if the game has received 4 positive or 4 negative revewis 31 days ago, this value can jump anywhere between 50 - 80%, so it isn't a reliable metric.

Also, Pathfinder's most recent DLC is at 37%. Is Pathfinder WoTR a great game? It is. So, Steam rating is a changing thing. Lackblogger had a valid review, where Lackblogger's taste was also present (as in every review). No one, again, no one criticizes the POINTS raised in the review. They attach the person, or refer to (volatile) Steam ratings. Emotions…

"Mixed - 40 - 69% positive reviews". In this case, 56%, to be precise. Which makes for a significantly poor game (again, "Poor - of a low or inferior standard or quality"). That's as objective as the fact that the Earth orbits the Sun. And again, fortunately, the vast majority of people are aware of it, seeing that nobody is playing it.
Black Geyser's rating on Steam is actually 69%, which puts it 1% (or about 10 positive reviews in this case) away from being labelled "Mostly Positive".

edit: sorry, just saw Centaur mentioned this too, hadn't gotten to the last page of the thread yet.

Back
Top Bottom