RPGWatch Feature - Black Geyser Review

Got to agree with Centaur. This is a small community and I find it suprising people need to use "standard internet ettique here".

It's perfectly fine to have negative views about the game and post something like "I think Black Geysers sucks". Even better would be if it was backed up with examples of why they think that way. Calling a review crap on the other hand is crossing the line. Of course reviews are subjective and of course you may disagree with it - which is why you can share your own opinion. Reviwers here are not paid. They are doing it for their own love of RPGWatch and the community.

Honestly, if people talked like this with their friends, family and co-workers like this they simply wouldn't have any contacts in a short period of time.

Unfortunately a lot of people have been "trained" over the last 10-20 years of the internet that is is "cool" to behave like this.

I like Black Geyser. I have played it for about 10 hours and I would probably score it a 7/10.

Honestly, the guy sounds like a planted shill. He has 11 posts and 9 of them are between this and another Black Geyser thread vehemently disagreeing with anyone who doesn't favor the game.

It's cool if he simply likes the game that much, but it's a little strange that he hasn't commented on any other games, and he's basically just parroting the same stuff repeatedly.

Honestly, the guy sounds like a planted shill. He has 11 posts and 9 of them are between this and another Black Geyser thread vehemently disagreeing with anyone who doesn't favor the game.

It's cool if he simply likes the game that much, but it's a little strange that he hasn't commented on any other games, and he's basically just parroting the same stuff repeatedly.

I was going to just say the same thing but I was afraid of getting a warning or something. I am extremely suspicious as well. My more than 10 years in the watch just made me automatically ignore him though.

And so the discrediting is being extended, nice. Not any of the points I've written are challenged or disproved. Instead, my person is being accused in general. Does this sound familiar? Oh yeah. Lackblogger's review experiences the same thing - no points disproved, but trying to be discredited as a whole. First, an attempt to discredit lackblogger's review, then now an attempt to discredit someone who shares the same views.

After being a regular lurker for a very long time, I registered purely to share my views about Black Geyser and the reasons were clearly stated in my initial post. Since rules don't forbid sharing your views (be them utterly negative or immensely positive) about anything even if they are about a single product.

What will be next? Accusing me of being an alternate account of lackblogger perhaps? Don't answer.

My more than 10 years in the watch just made me automatically ignore him though.
So, you ignore someone just because you disagree his views? Have you heard the expression 'filter bubble'? Have you heard it doesn't do any good because eventually it makes you hear/see only what you want to hear/see instead of the actual reality.

Last edited:
you're awesome. (The best example to this is Nereida.)

thank-you-alice.gif

Can you guys please stop your annoying bickering? It buries all potential discussion about the game.

On topic:
Anyone have any more impressions of the game?

Can you guys please stop your annoying bickering? It buries all potential discussion about the game.

On topic:
Anyone have any more impressions of the game?

Can you please stop telling other people what to do? Are you a moderator? No?

Do you know what's annoying? Self-appointed Hall Monitors. Ever since elementary school. So shush and let people do what they want until a moderator says otherwise.

Oh, right. I will now proceed to post a half arsed one-liner with nothing to contribute to sound like I actually want to talk about the game, like the previous post.

On topic: Uhm.. anyone have any more impressions of the game?

Yes, I don't think this sort of thing is doing the site any good. There's been quite a few threads like this recently, and it makes folks think not so much about how to keep the Watch going, but that we should set the controls for the heart of the sun.

And so the discrediting is being extended, nice. Not any of the points I've written are challenged or disproved. Instead, my person is being accused in general.

Seeing your original post, I would advise you to read the ToS because it was a clear violation of its rules. Maybe that's what causes that, those rules seem pretty fair to me and are meant to avoid that sort of situation. Let's keep the discussion civilized by avoiding direct insults.

As I said before, on my watch there will be no rules about not being allowed to say something negative or positive about a game, even when people have not played it. Because, I don't think that would be the issue to address. Also bickering isn't perse something to address, although it would be if it gets personal and would end up in a full frontal attack.
Then again, my watch on these walls ends soon, so it is up to others after that.

As a side note, having a thread of 9 pages about Black Geyser, is already an achievement :)

Can you please stop telling other people what to do? Are you a moderator? No?

Do you know what's annoying? Self-appointed Hall Monitors. Ever since elementary school. So shush and let people do what they want until a moderator says otherwise.

Oh, right. I will now proceed to post a half arsed one-liner with nothing to contribute to sound like I actually want to talk about the game, like the previous post.

On topic: Uhm.. anyone have any more impressions of the game?

I've tried twice to see if anyone has anything more to say about the game and both times I've gotten shit replies and it just keeps going with arguments about everything but the game itself.

It's not a half arsed attempt. It's genuine curiosity about the game and what fellow watchers think about it. What's wrong with the question I asked?

Well, @SveNitoR;, if it's genuine, then you still have no right to demand people stop speaking about what they are speaking to speak about what you want to speak. If at any point anything becomes an issue the moderators will step in to correct it.

If nobody has responded to you two times now, maybe it is a good indication that nobody is interested in what you want to talk about. What you can do is ignore the posts you don't like and ask again without censoring anyone, because as far as I can tell, nobody is censoring you.

It's basic mannerisms in human interaction.

I have to say the it is highly likely the people with such a strong opinion haven't even played the game or even own it in their steam accounts (or any other platform)!!!

I've already posted my opinion a couple of times. I am certainly enjoying the game but I am not finding it equal to BG2 or even BG1 yet.

I think it is pretty darn close to Pillars 1 though - excluding the brilliant White March expansion.

I have no desire to play Pillars of Eternity any time soon again and I have a feeling the same will apply to Black Geyser once I finish it. What I do love is the attention the devs have put into the game.

The highlights for me are:
The art/locations. These are really top notch and I think they must have had quite a skilled artist on the team.
The itemisation/loot I have quite enjoyed so far. The loot isn't as interesting as BG2 but it is a step up from the itemisation in Pillars.
The have done a good job on the ruleset and classes etc.
No lore dumps like Pillars1!

Where I think it needs the most improvement:
Companions!!! (This is a roadmap item)
Combat. It's too easy and more variety is required.

I have to say the it is highly likely the people with such a strong opinion haven't even played the game or even own it in their steam accounts (or any other platform)!!!

Pretty sure that most people that say something tastes like shit have never eaten shit to know how it really tastes. How it looks and how it smells are more than enough to get a good idea without having to poison your system with it or waste your precious time doing it.

Especially if the shit cost £30.

Pretty sure that most people that say something tastes like shit have never eaten shit to know how it really tastes. How it looks and how it smells are more than enough to get a good idea without having to poison your system with it or waste your precious time doing it.

Especially if the shit cost £30.

Well I guess that answers it. You haven't played it or own it. Your opinion on the subject then is completely worthless. Keep going though you might convince one person if you keep going for another 40-50 posts. Or maybe not.

It's much more likely that you are actually attracting more people to play Black Geyser by keeping this thread and the original review bumped as per what Eye said - the vast majority of people don't actually dig into the thread. Thanks :)

It's much more likely that you are actually attracting more people to play Black Geyser by keeping this thread and the original review bumped as per what Eye said - the vast majority of people don't actually dig into the thread. Thanks :)
Excuse me? What I said? Are you trying to drag me into this, sir?

Not sure why you'd mention The Eye but you're extremely transparent and easy to read.

Maybe I want people to actually try the game for themselves. Maybe I just want to cause chaos. Maybe I want the site to get more hits, at the expense of a bit of banter. Maybe I want to see the world burn. Who knows?

You certainly don't. But you need not concern yourself with it. It's just a little bit of text in an online forum. It won't take anything from you unless you let it.

That is good advice, for free. You're welcome.

I haven't played the game, but could it be as simple as that:

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness advertises with "A game like the old classics".

• Some people (31% on Steam) compare it with the best AAA classics and are dissapointed.
  • Some people (69% on Steam) are happy that they get a new isometric RPG and rejoyce.

Not fulfilled espectations are often a cause for disapointment.

Back
Top Bottom