Owlcat Games - Next Game Starfinder?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer thinks that Owlcat's next game could be a Starfinder RPG:

The next Pathfinder RPG might actually be a Starfinder RPG

Enough people have been asking Owlcat Games "What's next?" that the developer of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous put together a website to tease an answer that question: whatisnext.owlcat.games (opens in new tab). Head there and you'll see a looping animation of three planets and an asteroid field, with a targeting display overlaid on it. Sure looks like they're heading into space (man).

The conclusion fans are leaping to is that Owlcat's next game will swap the tabletop RPG Pathfinder for its sci-fi sibling, Starfinder. First published in 2017, Starfinder builds on both the rules and setting of Pathfinder, only instead of wizards and rogues it has classes like technomancers and biohackers, and in addition to elves, dwarves, and so on, you might be an android or an alien who looks like a jellyfish.

[...]
More information.

Really not surprising just read the forums on our site. It was hinted almost two years ago not much info was shared though. Just twitter hiring posts and some speculation .

Like I said in the other thread the delay is understandable with the messed up world in the last 2 years. The codex claims it's going action based and made with the Epic engine.

Who knows but early info did suggest it was supposed to be only TB.

Yeah, not really a surprise. Could be fun! I guess, they will have to go with a cover and in general more XCOM-y system.

I don't see Olwcat going action-based. Hopefully it's isometric with a party and TB/RTwP combat, and I expect it will be.

We haven't had any modern RPGs like that in a sci-fi setting, so I've got my fingers crossed that it is indeed Starfinder.

Finally I'll be able to build my Tentacle Hentai Party in Starfinder..

Star Citizen, Starfield, Starfinder. Did the EU come up with this? ;)

Star Citizen, Starfield, Starfinder. Did the EU come up with this? ;)
Nope StarFinder is the future of Pathfinder. Some of the elements are in the games already. Still yeah game names nowadays are not that original. Never have been.

Link - https://paizo.com/starfinder

I hope it is an full RPG like Kingmaker/wrath but I guess it could be possible it could be a lighter game i.e. tactics battles or even an action game.

I wonder if it will be a kickstarter again? Possibly not since Kickstarter fees are kind of obscene these days. Maybe on an alternative platform like Fig?

I hope it is an full RPG like Kingmaker/wrath but I guess it could be possible it could be a lighter game i.e. tactics battles or even an action game.

I wonder if it will be a kickstarter again? Possibly not since Kickstarter fees are kind of obscene these days. Maybe on an alternative platform like Fig?
I really don't think they need crowdfunding nowadays because of the money still earned from both games, and they have other investors. Just good publicity to do so.

Hope they allow both styles of combat as TB pathfinder takes to long to finish.

I don't see Olwcat going action-based. Hopefully it's isometric with a party and TB/RTwP combat, and I expect it will be.

We haven't had any modern RPGs like that in a sci-fi setting, so I've got my fingers crossed that it is indeed Starfinder.

Yup, let's hope. Transferring the formula from their two previous games to the Starfinder setting could produce one of the greatest sci-fi cRPGs of all time since there aren't many great ones.

I'm going to throw in a curve ball and say its Warhammer 40k ;)

I'm going to throw in a curve ball and say its Warhammer 40k ;)
Not sure if any of you noticed but there are texts in bottom left corner of the website that look like some kind of stats along the line of management mechanics.

My hubby told me they remind him of Warhammer 40k text style + crosshairs etc. He is hoping for an RPG for Rogue Trader setting ;)
Yeah I have to say nope sorry please try again. Don't get me wrong I would love to play an isometric Warhammer 40k RPG, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

Close as we got was that hack and slash game Chaosbane.

Also Owlcat have a good working relationship with Pazio hence Starfinder.

Hm, the text at the bottom left has a header saying "Production", and then numbers for Built, Launched, Operational, Retired, and Lost...

Yeah disappointed as well. So it's either a new IP or Pathfinder game set in one of the sc-fi campaigns. It was mentioned before about a kingdom built on a fallen star ship.

Back
Top Bottom