Owlcat Games - Next Game Starfinder?

Here's the text on bottom left corner:

https://i.imgur.com/V6joMUt.png
V6joMUt.png

They usually don't keep the secret too long once they start releasing teasers, so we should know soon.

I bet that whatever we think it is... it will be something else. ;)

It likely won't be a new IP, probably for the better as these people can't write anything, they just copy already existing campaigns. I anticipate that they'll try to leech off some existing setting as usual. Hopefully, someone will write the NPCs/companions for them this time, as that's an important part of the kind of game they make, and they are always forgettable at best, as that's one thing they can't copy from the adventure books.

Whatever it is, here's someone who's not holding her breath.

Is there some actual information in it? I don't get it.

There's this:
Hm, the text at the bottom left has a header saying "Production", and then numbers for Built, Launched, Operational, Retired, and Lost…

I enhanced Purple's screenshot a little further:

image.png

Makes no sense to me sorry. I just have no enthusiasm for finding clues. Just sounds like some type of Sc-Fi lingo for ships and production numbers. Just reveal the damn game.

Hopefully more work/output from Chris Avellone.
Just one quick question is he even still in the game business after being blacklisted years ago? Though I agree he was once mentioned with almost every kickstarter game.

Just one quick question is he even still in the game business after being blacklisted years ago? Though I agree he was once mentioned with almost every kickstarter game.

I guess he is - he was a narrative designer for Owlcats latest output (they were not shy to acknowledge this) and Weird West. Did not follow the drama about his blacklisting but since news stopped about it, I assume that he is back in business.

Makes no sense to me sorry. I just have no enthusiasm for finding clues. Just sounds like some type of Sc-Fi lingo for ships and production numbers. Just reveal the damn game.
Yeah, but let them play if they like it. :)

And well, in theory it could still be a Pathfinder game as the setting also features space ships.

@purpleblob1; , what does the community's hive mind speculate?

Would they do their own classic RPG sci-fi IP? This would be so different to depart from Paizo and from fantasy at the same time.

Or maybe the Iron Gods AP, but I don't think it really fits the space theme, rather a more science-oriented setting (I just looked at the APs, I don't know them).

Perhaps it's not sci-fi and we have to forget about this old job offer. It was 2 years ago and it's not Ubisoft, they can't work in parallel on several games.

Or maybe the Iron Gods AP, but I don't think it really fits the space theme, rather a more science-oriented setting (I just looked at the APs, I don't know them).
That's exactly what I did and I came to the same conclusion. :D
It would be strange to tease this AP with the planets screenshot.

Perhaps they became big enough to work on 2 IPs in parallel?

There's a ton of open job postings on their careers page, and some of them ask for Unity experience, while others ask for Unreal experience. Good chance this space-looking teaser is for a 2nd game they're working on, using the Unreal engine, and doesn't have anything to do with the next Pathfinder game which they're also going to be working on simultaneously.

edit: in fact, one of the job openings actually talks about "a new unannounced project (a third-person sci-fi action RPG!)" But they also have openings for a "Pathfinder Core Mechanics Designer / Game Designer", among other Unity and Pathfinder things. So yeah, seems to be no real doubt they're now working on 2 games. And this teaser must be for an action RPG.

Last edited:
edit: in fact, one of the job openings actually talks about "a new unannounced project (a third-person sci-fi action RPG!)" But they also have openings for a "Pathfinder Core Mechanics Designer / Game Designer", among other Unity and Pathfinder things. So yeah, seems to be no real doubt they're now working on 2 games. And this teaser must be for an action RPG.
Yeah, it's quite obvious then. Nice.

There's a ton of open job postings on their careers page, and some of them ask for Unity experience, while others ask for Unreal experience. Good chance this space-looking teaser is for a 2nd game they're working on, using the Unreal engine, and doesn't have anything to do with the next Pathfinder game which they're also going to be working on simultaneously.

Good info there thanks. I wouldn't mind playing another third-person sci-fi action RPG. They also said in a current interview they have two more seasons of DLC for WotR.

Don't forget this as well.:)

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45617

The decline begins...
Same thing I was thinking. Anytime an RPG developer becomes big and successful making great AA/AAA turn-based or RTwP games, you know the pivot towards dumbed-down, cinematic, 1st/3rd person action RPGs isn't far behind.

Seriously why the disdain for cinematic, 1st/3rd person action RPGs? Some of the best RPGs have been those. I guess most of you hate Witcher III and Cyberpunk 2077 then?

Guess you can lump all of Piranha Bytes and BioWare games in that category as well.

Is there some actual information in it? I don't get it.

Well, I think it shows we will have some kind of management portion in the new game again :p but that's just me guessing

@purpleblob1; , what does the community's hive mind speculate?

Everyone thoughts it was Starfinder but after the announcement from Paizo that its not, no consensus on what it might be.

My gut feeling is, its not a new IP. I don't think Owlcats are big enough to handle a new game in new setting while they also work on 4 more DLCs for WotR.

The decline begins…

We don't know if it actually is 3rd person action RPG :p

If it is tho, I will be mighty disappointed too. It would be a real bad move too, most of their fanbase will lose interest imo.

Back
Top Bottom